Luckiest Players?

Reckon Paul Hills was pretty lucky.

He was third luckiest to win a premiership medal that year...
who were the first 2?
Wallis would be one.
I hope he isn't going to say Watson.

I reckon Tim's said as much over the years, my problem is, apart from Derick (who had a shocking finals series) I dunno who plays instead, flood, Ridley,cransberg & Delaney don't seem like they would've done much better.

See that's the thing, isn't it?  People tend to forget that David Flood was also given-the-Chaminda from the Preliminary Final side, despite being servicable.  You didn't see him throw all his toys out of the cot though.  He just got on with it, and dutifully played on for another few years.  Unfortunately, the cold, hard fact was that someone was always going to have to make way for Mark Harvey.  The Wallis selection was probably a bit more contentious, although let's not forget that Kickett had been useless since the Bulldogs game a couple of weeks before the finals.  Let's face it though, there would have been riots had Watson (a club legend) been dumped, particularly when he'd kicked the sealer in the prelim.

Henry Slattery

Get out.

who were the first 2?
Wallis would be one.

I reckon Tim's said as much over the years, my problem is, apart from Derick (who had a shocking finals series) I dunno who plays instead, flood, Ridley,cransberg & Delaney don't seem like they would've done much better.

See that's the thing, isn't it?  People tend to forget that David Flood was also given-the-Chaminda from the Preliminary Final side, despite being servicable.  You didn't see him throw all his toys out of the cot though.  He just got on with it, and dutifully played on for another few years.  Unfortunately, the cold, hard fact was that someone was always going to have to make way for Mark Harvey.  The Wallis selection was probably a bit more contentious, although let's not forget that Kickett had been useless since the Bulldogs game a couple of weeks before the finals.  Let's face it though, there would have been riots had Watson (a club legend) been dumped, particularly when he'd kicked the sealer in the prelim.

Flood made way for Harvey back from injury.

Daniher and Calthorpe got into the team for the Carlton game because of all the injuries, and by their performances, couldn't be dropped.

Jake Melksham

Didn't take long.

who were the first 2?
Wallis would be one.

flood was far more unlucky than kickett. as mentioned kickett did nothing after kicking 8 against the dogs. i remember thinking he should have been dropped well before the grand final. had the only change between harvey in for kickett i dont think people would have complained.

flood is the one who should be ■■■■■■ off. he and wallis were similiar players and flood didn't deserve to be dropped. wallis was an integral part of the 2000 team but didn't really deserve his spot in 93.

who were the first 2?
Wallis would be one.

flood was far more unlucky than kickett. as mentioned kickett did nothing after kicking 8 against the dogs. i remember thinking he should have been dropped well before the grand final. had the only change between harvey in for kickett i dont think people would have complained.

flood is the one who should be ■■■■■■ off. he and wallis were similiar players and flood didn't deserve to be dropped. wallis was an integral part of the 2000 team but didn't really deserve his spot in 93.

earned it on the day though

who were the first 2?
Wallis would be one.

Mil Hanna says hi

James Hird. Four games in his first two seasons. Injury prone. A majority vote in favour of him being delisted. Pretty lucky.

A reply to: @leon baker #4 regarding QuoteLink

who were the first 2?

Wallis would be one.

We won a lot of games when Wallis was in the team, right from the early days, even though until 99 and 2000 he didn’t ever seem to do a lot except get into fights. I think Sheedy saw him as a player who made other players in the team walk a bit taller when he was around, and I think Sheedy might have been right about that.

CD telling the Carlton player to FARK OFF and kicking the goal is one of the great moments of our club.

Mind you, so many candidates from those who get little respect from the game alone: Wallis outsmarting two players to goal, the little blob Calthorpe bursting out of the middle in the third quarter to kill any hint of a comeback…

A reply to: @arthur swampy regarding QuoteLink

James Hird. Four games in his first two seasons. Injury prone. A majority vote in favour of him being delisted. Pretty lucky.

Saved only by Sheeds and the Ice Man Brian Donohoe

Garry Lowe came to Essendon from Essendon-Tullamarine and was 1 of 4 Lowes at the Club at that time - 2 sets of brothers? playing Under 19s and Reserves.