Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Trump disbanded the voter fraud commision he had set up.

Lol, … of course he did. Honestly couldn’t lie straight in bed this prick.

Corrupt down to the marrow.

And blamed the states for not giving voter data despite “substantial evidence of voter fraud”. Riiiiight…

It appears to be ‘kicking off’:

Conmander in Chief

1 Like

Stay in USA, they deserve you.

Cutting Company Tax just gives more money for the Small Business Owner to spend on themselves. Business never expands because taxes are cut, in fact, more business happens when taxes go up and Government spends up big.

Tax cuts can be beneficial to the economy. Where you target tax cuts makes a big difference on the return you get.

There is very little debate by economists about tax cuts to the rich, they pretty much all agree they do very little to grow the economy. Such cuts rely on indirect mechanisms, such as voluntary pay rises.

Good tax cuts create more consumer activity, which flows to the broader economy. Tax cuts to the poor directly add money into circulation because they spend every cent they have. This immediately increases demand, which flows through to businesses and creates more jobs.

A tax cut favouring one portion of society over another is basically income redistribution. Long term you take more of your tax base from the lower and middle classes. These are the consumers in the economy. Businesses can not survive if they don’t have customers. To me it makes no economic sense to reduce the spending power of your main consumer base.

4 Likes

Interesting thoughts, especially the bits on your insights from the USA. I’ve snipped it just to quote the bit I’m replying on. I’m assuming the post of mine your referencing is the one I’ve quoted below - please correct me if I’m wrong!

I’ve personally worked in and with the private space, and as a consultant to government entities. It is my view that you see good and bad in both, and a lot comes down to how its managed. I’ve seem some absolutely shocking practices within a corporation I worked with, as bad as anything you hear on the news regarding government. I also am aware of fantastically run corporations. Government also has extremes, although I’d point out it is often handicapped in the public’s eyes by its own nature.

So for example, something like the NBN, or the US post office both struggle in that they have to service everyone everywhere, and not just high value areas. A government department can try 6 new things, but if just one goes skewif that is the one that gets the media attention.

I also see no reason why corporations will suddenly start investing. The US ones are sitting on historically humongous piles of cash. Cash gets crap all returns. Yet they’re not investing. A change in tax rate isn’t going to change that, the reasons are much deeper.

And why would a US corporation invest in the USA? The new act cut the company tax rate to 21%, but it cut it to 15% for overseas profits. So why invest in the USA?

Its interesting your comment on the $100 in the pocket. Its obvious you believe that government spending crowds out private, and that is bad. But if you look at the ACA, that expanded healthcover to tens of millions of Americans, yet it has actually reduced the cost of healthcare (in real terms) for continuing purchasers. So the government spending didn’t crowd things out, it cut costs while expanding demand.

As details of Trump’s personal life leaked out, he became obsessed with identifying the leaker. The source of all the gossip, however, may well have been Trump himself. In his calls throughout the day and at night from his bed, he often spoke to people who had no reason to keep his confidences. He was a river of grievances, which recipients of his calls promptly spread to the ever-attentive media.

Fake News.

I’m kind of grateful we don’t have that here just yet.

1 Like

Haven’t you got Tony Abbott tattooed on one cheek of your blurter and Bill Shorten on the other?

2 Likes

Malcolm in the middle?

22 Likes

I have K on one ar$e cheek, and 7 on the other.

1 Like

Just finished a book “Hillbilly Elegey” by a working class Kentuckian who made good against the odds. Wasn’t at all the political tour de force the cover claimed it to be, but was interesting and did highlight some of the problematic sociocultural class separation. Published just before the Trump victory, I gather.

Ohhh, … Saaawish!

I’ve got a big “S” tattooed on each cheek,… so when I bend over it says HELP!

Irony in two tweets… Read the bottom one first…

He subjects himself to real questions almost every day via Twitter.

I don;t blame him for not dealing with the mainstream US press. They have made it obvious they hate him and will skew or take out of context anything he says.

“Cease and Desist” letter apparently sent to Bannon. Yep, that will do the trick. Can’t wait for the threats to sue to start (like he did against Ted Cruz, like he did against the women accusing him of sexual assault)…