Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Yep, it seems pretty stupid.

I read that and my understanding is that the librarian rejected the offer because her library is well stocked and in a relatively privileged area and didn’t need them and took the opportunity to remind Melania and more importantly, Ms DeVos that instead of offering a handful of Dr Seuss books to a library that doesn’t need them as a publicity stunt, why doesn’t she lobby her husband’s government to reinstate spending on numeracy and literacy in those areas across the county that really need it.

6 Likes

Norman wore the badge and helped with the gloves. He supported Smith and Carlos, who were both pall bearers at his funeral.

1 Like

Fair enough. And the allegations of racist content WP’s grabs are running with?

That’s the Fox News version of why the librarian rejected Mrs Trump’s offer.

2 Likes

Cheers So what was the kernel they extrapolated from to get there? Apologies for all the questions, but I had only seen the headline flash by till this point.

No, she also said it was racist.

If she had stopped at the first part she would have been spot on, adding the rest was silly and fadish behaviour.

He did get involved (e.g. providing the solution when one of the others forgot their black gloves, and wearing a human rights badge) but otherwise, 100% yes.

EDIT: trumped by bigallan. Bigly.

2 Likes

So what point of what she said will you focus on? The one where she is calling on the Secretary of Education/Trump Administration to reinstate funding to education or that some aspects of the works of Dr Seuss can be viewed in a racist context?

1 Like

Must be reporting on the truth then, cause this is what she wrote…

Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes. Open one of his books (If I Ran a Zoo or And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, for example), and you’ll see the racist mockery in his art.

She’s probably not alone in thinking that. And in fairness, a librarian would know a thing or two about literature. Is she right? I can’t say as I’ve never got that impression from Dr Seuss but I haven’t thought about it that deeply either. But that’s a side issue. Should funding be restored in those areas that have lost it under Ms DeVos’ watch?

1 Like

You can focus on both, after all she said both.

1 Like

One more than the other it appears.

1 Like

No, Trump Didn’t Botch the Puerto Rico Crisis
A Q&A with former Navy Captain Jerry Hendrix on smart preparations the White House and Pentagon made for the looming storm.

Damn these people talking sense…What about all the feels??

Thoughtfully written piece with references pointing out that some old books contain racial stereotypes common from the time they were first published. Rebutted with memes.

■■■■ the quality of debate in this day and age.

3 Likes

The issue with Trump’s response is not the disaster relief, it’s the complete and utter lack of empathy he displayed. Disaster relief is a hugely complex logistical nightmare, which the general population don’t understand. They do understand the suffering they see and experience. To attack someone who is in the middle of a horrible situation is cruel and undignified.

Trump could easily have defended the FEMA actions and offered support at the same time. It would not have cost him a thing, probably would have made him look better.

4 Likes

Yeah, they weren’t prepared and did nothing…

Don’t throw stones and then whinge when they get thrown back at you.

A known Anti-Trumper does her bit to stir the political debate in the US and then whinges when the POTUS calls her out for it.

“Utter lack of empathy”. Yeah, you must be right, cause the feels are so strong. Do you really believe your own words or are you just another crowd following moron?

Thanks for that article.

Trump only has one response when he’s attacked. He attacks back. I don’t think I’m saying anything outrageous there.

Who gives a crap if she is an Anti-Trumper. She’s in the middle of a disaster area. She’s lost her house. She’s the mayor. She can see her people suffering. I’d expect a Republican to say something similar in that situation. If all you can see is the suffering on the ground, then you are entitled to call for help.

So no I’m not a crowd following moron. I have looked into the disaster response and think that it’s generally going as well as could be expected. I don’t know and I don’t care in the slightest about the historical politics of the people involved. The fact that politics is shaping how the president reacts to suffering Americans is pretty messed up.

7 Likes