Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

How do you explain republicans being upset about the comments? They are not on the left.

Again, not everything is a left-right issue.
Not Trump.
And sure as hell not Haiti.
When was the last time you saw anyone talk about Haiti?

Not everything is the left hating on the right.
It’s just normal people discussing politics.
And the President of the USA.

FWIW, I don’t consider Trump representative of the right at all, so you can forget any left-right bias there.

1 Like

Serious question.
Does anyone think Trump is pushing a right wing ideology?

More dribble incoming

1 Like

I have posted many times about how the US economy is booming, how black unemployment rates are at the lowest levels since data was collected, how the tax cuts are helping every day Americans and how the US foreign policy is now actually getting ■■■■ done at last after years of posturing.

I have also spoken about how finally Israel has a country that will stand with them.

Generally the response is a meme from BSD, an accusation that I’m being a troll and/or general abuse for daring to interrupt the fairytales and fiction that seem to pass for a discussion thread.

Check the video

Screencapped for improved UI

2 Likes

How have the tax cuts helped the average person? An actual example.

FMD, i can stomach a lot from you - but you really are a troll if you continue to push the bit about Israel.

1 Like

I think I will take the word of the Israel PM over a noted Trump hater.

Exhibit B.

How long ago were the tax cuts that give Trump an extra $11m pa implemented?
Sarc aside.

This is seriously the most stupid argument ever.

Of course decisions he makes are going to impact his businesses and employees. He wasn’t running a corner store milk-bar.

I suppose he Has deliberately forced the Dow to go up so he can increase the value of his share portfolio.

In 2016 the Obama administration requested Congress allocate Israel the largest amount of foreign aid for peace and security.

THE US HAS ALWAYS SUPPORTED ISRAEL.

What are you talking about that all of a sudden it now is?!

1 Like

Wasn’t an argument.
It was a question.

And an observation that Trump has implemented something that will directly benefit him quite handsomely, as opposed to others, but mostly a question.

When was it implemented?

As to the Dow, I can see how it would react positively to companies listed on the exchange being given a leg up.
As to US business doing less of its share to support the country than previously, I’ll watch how that turns out with interest.
I wouldn’t expect the repercussions to become apparent overnight.

sigh
So you’ve forced me to google, since you won’t answer.
This is what I’ve found.

It would seem the answer to my question is: They haven’t been.

Now, I don’t know if this is fake news or not.
I’m happy to hear your answer.

But if it’s not then perhaps its a bit premature to say his tax cuts are helping everyday Americans, yeah?

2 Likes

A whole bunch of words about a word you suggest was never said, and wouldn’t matter if it was, because it is just a word at the end of the day, and yet you want more words from me about it? Even though I’m from the Left, which you define as broadly as anyone who has at some point questioned DJT, so you wouldn’t be interested anyway. Does it matter to you or not? If it is no, then we should just eat ice cream instead. If you are simply looking to hit your favourite marks then again let’s eat ice cream - more worthwhile, and tastier.

If the context was accurately described, a discussion about immigration and moving to a merit based system, then I think the President’s apparent conception of what, to him, constitutes merit matters. Rather than any individual word. Though I am intrigued to see if this fondness for “more Norway” insinuates itself into policy beyond immigration, that might be a shock to the GOP platform.

I admire the tenacity of your final paragraph, the unshakeable conviction that it only goes that one way.

What flavour? Actually this is the US thread so… what flavor?

That is a very good question Wim.

I would argue that Corporate Tax cuts to 21% is rightwing capitalist economics and the associated cutting of support benefits and changes to health care support that.

But I have learnt not to look at the USA from my Australian Political perspective as nothing it really what it seems. Both Republications and Democrats are rightwing free market capitalists, and while in theory the democrats offer more of a safety net approach, they are still to the rightwing of our Liberal Government.

However Trump is unlike any other President and his policy is not as rightwing as for example what Pence would promote. Trump is about creating jobs, which is not normal for a republican who would first want to create shareholder wealth.

If it was not for his colourful past and his over the top public comments, he may be described as a good President. And I had a friend from South Korea tell me that it has been Trump who got the dialogue with the North started again.

He is an anacronism and probably we will never understand him.

You’re wrong to try to put Trump into a normal idealogical framework. He’s nothing but a conman whose only guiding light is his own ego.

For instance, see below the audio of him bragging about his ‘good relationship’ with Kim Jong Un (as an aside - the quote on the audio disputed by WH). Either he’s lying - par for the course at this point - or he’s telling the truth, in which case everyone knows he should stfu about it because it is secret/sensitive. But all he wants to do is jerk off about how he knows all this stuff that others don’t. Just bragging.

The guy is not fit to tie Obama’s shoelaces (as if he could).

1 Like

I think it depends on what you view Trump’s ideology is. I would say that while I don’t agree with @Split_Infinity that Trump is a conman (per se), I do think he doesn’t really care about many policies. But there are three"Trumps". There is the one on the campaign trail, the one speaking from the whitehouse and there is what the whitehouse is actually doing.

The first one had a populous ideology, with a focus on jobs, social conservatism, anti-intellectualism, and making white middle and poor Americans feel good again. He promised an awful lot, and went one way and another on topics. As an example on healthcare, he always pushed repeal and replace, but also listed at various times a wide variety of things which would be included. Hell, at one point he even praised single payer. Similarly for coal, and a host of other areas he promised lots. So he really promised everything to everyone, on lots of issues. With a whole grain of racism and social conservatism overlaid. i.e. he was a social conservative populist.

His spoken position since being in the white house is all over the shop. Using health care again, the congress bill was “mean”, then its good, etc. On Roy Moore he was on his opponent, then Moore, then Moore was a bad candidate. There is very little consistency, except to say the racism has tended to stay.

However, there is then what the Whitehouse has actually done. And that is a crystal clear far right agenda. Strongly socially conservative. He’s signed off on the tax bill. Created a budget proposal that cut job initiatives and social care so badly, we’ve never heard it talked of because even the Republican congress didn’t touch it, it was so extreme. Pushed increased funding to the military. Cut government jobs (non-military). Used executive orders and cabinet positions to do a raft of right wing agenda items such as promoting private universities, cutting student debtor rights, cutting transvestite medical rights, cutting environmental regulations, reducing national parks, allowing drilling off all states’ shores (except Florida), attacking use of legalised marijuana, stepped out of the trade and environmental agreements, restricted immigration, allowing businesses to keep waiters’ tips, moving the Israeli embassy, etc. The suspicion is that most of this is coming from Sessions, De Vos, Banner (initially), Pence and Trump’s willingness to sign off anything put in front of him. But the Whitehouse’s effective ideology at the moment is extreme right wing.

6 Likes

What?