Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Opinion | Politics

Op-Ed Contributors
The Republicans’ Fake Investigations

By Glenn R. Simpson and Peter Fritsch
Jan. 2, 2018

A generation ago, Republicans sought to protect President Richard Nixon by urging the Senate Watergate committee to look at supposed wrongdoing by Democrats in previous elections. The committee chairman, Sam Ervin, a Democrat, said that would be “as foolish as the man who went bear hunting and stopped to chase rabbits.”

Today, amid a growing criminal inquiry into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, congressional Republicans are again chasing rabbits. We know because we’re their favorite quarry.

In the year since the publication of the so-called Steele dossier — the collection of intelligence reports we commissioned about Donald Trump’s ties to Russia — the president has repeatedly attacked us on Twitter. His allies in Congress have dug through our bank records and sought to tarnish our firm to punish us for highlighting his links to Russia. Conservative news outlets and even our former employer, The Wall Street Journal, have spun a succession of mendacious conspiracy theories about our motives and backers.

We are happy to correct the record. In fact, we already have.

Three congressional committees have heard over 21 hours of testimony from our firm, Fusion GPS. In those sessions, we toppled the far right’s conspiracy theories and explained how The Washington Free Beacon and the Clinton campaign — the Republican and Democratic funders of our Trump research — separately came to hire us in the first place.

We walked investigators through our yearlong effort to decipher Mr. Trump’s complex business past, of which the Steele dossier is but one chapter. And we handed over our relevant bank records — while drawing the line at a fishing expedition for the records of companies we work for that have nothing to do with the Trump case.

Republicans have refused to release full transcripts of our firm’s testimony, even as they selectively leak details to media outlets on the far right. It’s time to share what our company told investigators.

We don’t believe the Steele dossier was the trigger for the F.B.I.’s investigation into Russian meddling. As we told the Senate Judiciary Committee in August, our sources said the dossier was taken so seriously because it corroborated reports the bureau had received from other sources, including one inside the Trump camp.

The intelligence committees have known for months that credible allegations of collusion between the Trump camp and Russia were pouring in from independent sources during the campaign. Yet lawmakers in the thrall of the president continue to wage a cynical campaign to portray us as the unwitting victims of Kremlin disinformation.

We suggested investigators look into the bank records of Deutsche Bank and others that were funding Mr. Trump’s businesses. Congress appears uninterested in that tip: Reportedly, ours are the only bank records the House Intelligence Committee has subpoenaed.

We told Congress that from Manhattan to Sunny Isles Beach, Fla., and from Toronto to Panama, we found widespread evidence that Mr. Trump and his organization had worked with a wide array of dubious Russians in arrangements that often raised questions about money laundering. Likewise, those deals don’t seem to interest Congress.

We explained how, from our past journalistic work in Europe, we were deeply familiar with the political operative Paul Manafort’s coziness with Moscow and his financial ties to Russian oligarchs close to Vladimir Putin.

Finally, we debunked the biggest canard being pushed by the president’s men — the notion that we somehow knew of the June 9, 2016, meeting in Trump Tower between some Russians and the Trump brain trust. We first learned of that meeting from news reports last year — and the committees know it. They also know that these Russians were unaware of the former British intelligence officer Christopher Steele’s work for us and were not sources for his reports.

Yes, we hired Mr. Steele, a highly respected Russia expert. But we did so without informing him whom we were working for and gave him no specific marching orders beyond this basic question: Why did Mr. Trump repeatedly seek to do deals in a notoriously corrupt police state that most serious investors shun?

What came back shocked us. Mr. Steele’s sources in Russia (who were not paid) reported on an extensive — and now confirmed — effort by the Kremlin to help elect Mr. Trump president. Mr. Steele saw this as a crime in progress and decided he needed to report it to the F.B.I.

We did not discuss that decision with our clients, or anyone else. Instead, we deferred to Mr. Steele, a trusted friend and intelligence professional with a long history of working with law enforcement. We did not speak to the F.B.I. and haven’t since.

After the election, Mr. Steele decided to share his intelligence with Senator John McCain via an emissary. We helped him do that. The goal was to alert the United States national security community to an attack on our country by a hostile foreign power. We did not, however, share the dossier with BuzzFeed, which to our dismay published it last January.

We’re extremely proud of our work to highlight Mr. Trump’s Russia ties. To have done so is our right under the First Amendment.

It is time to stop chasing rabbits. The public still has much to learn about a man with the most troubling business past of any United States president. Congress should release transcripts of our firm’s testimony, so that the American people can learn the truth about our work and most important, what happened to our democracy.

3 Likes

Not a clerical error. Simply different data parameters being used. Happens all the time.
And its not my position that Trump is doing any more or any less.

Lets be realistic - no US hospital is going to turn away a patient suffering life threatening injuries or illnesses. Ambulances and hospitals treat overdose victims all the time for example. I strongly doubt they have private health cover.

If you can point me to an example where a medical officer refused to give an overdose victim naltrexelone and let them die because they weren’t covered, then I’d be happy to see it.

Why are the US using different parameters to the rest of the first world?

Oh, hello!
Would you like me to tell you of the ins and outs of corporate bookmaking?

Record keeping differs from country to country. And how those records are assessed for statistical purposes is different as well.

E12 is GUMBING!!

Does it differ so markedly that only one country in the first world is having this stat increase?
Or is there actually a problem in the US?

I doubt that you can count to ten, so no.

one two three four five six seven eight nine ten.

But of course I wouldn’t presume to tell you your business.
I’d suggest a little humility on your part, also.

You see, there’s shades of grey.
Or even gray.

I have no doubt that US hospitals are not turning away cardiac arrests.
That would be monstrous.
But chest pain with pins and needles down the arm?
Weeeeeeell, do you have insurance?

2 Likes

They might not turn away a drug overdose or heart attack, but they sure do bill them when they wake up. The Good Samaritan effort of saving your life, sorry that’s 200k. Medical bills is one of the leading causes of bankruptcy in America.

1 Like

But let’s go nuts.
The cost of surgery for the amputation of a ring finger can range from $20,000 to $60,000 for a person who may not have insurance. These are 2014 dollars, mind.

A 2009 study showed that appendix removals around the U.S. can range from $1,500 all the way up to $180,000. On average, the surgery costs about $33,000. The Obama Administration released a report in 2013 that showed how hospital costs could vary as much as $200,000 for the same procedure.Jan 2, 2014.

Without health insurance, non-surgical treatment for a broken leg typically costs up to $2,500 or more for a fracture that requires a cast. A leg X-ray costs an average of $210, according to NewChoiceHealth.com , but can cost as much as $1,000 or more at some radiology centers.

And this farking clown of a President wants to know why people from Norway don’t want to immigrate?

Here’s another farking clue, farktard.

Most of the universities from Norway don’t charge tuition fees, so students can find accessible high-quality degree courses.

The country has the fourth-highest per capita income in the world.
It has the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund, with a value of USD 1 trillion.
Norway has had the highest Human Development Index ranking in the world since 2009, a position also held previously between 2001 and 2006. It also has the highest inequality-adjusted ranking. Norway ranks first on the World Happiness Report, the OECD Better Life Index, the Index of Public Integrity, and the Democracy Index.

You know what it hasn’t got?
Nazis marching the farking streets and a leader unwilling to say that’s a bad thing.
It hasn’t got people trawling the lower class to fight wars for…some farking reason…

Why can’t Norwegians emigrate to the US?
Farking really?

6 Likes

All this stuff we’re talking about is the real reason Americans were attracted to Trump an outsider who was going to drain the swamp and run the country for them. Bring back good jobs, healthcare for all is what they wanted. The alt right goons lapping up the racism and PC gone mad stuff was a small % of voters. I hope the majority who wanted real change get something. I suspect they won’t, and yes before anyone jumps in the same applied to Obama.

Seriously, if I said that, I’d be pretending I didn’t say it, too.

I haven’t responded to a post of yours for a very very long time, but I will make an exception this once (and only once), given my post was related to you, and I think a response is appropriate given that.

You’re a troll. You know you’re a troll. You’re not an oppressed ideological crusader. You don’t argue the point, you don’t make concessions or similar, you avoid answering questions. Your aim is simply to agitate, not to inform or discuss.

And that’s fine. You’ll always be a troll. I don’t expect you to change your ways. That’s why I didn’t direct my post at you. I directed it at those who simply can’t help but fall for your trolling, and who, combined with you, are making every politics thread on this site pretty much unreadable.

And don’t get me wrong, in terms of trolls you are fabulous. Seriously seriously good. However don’t confuse my praise for respect. I have no respect at all for what you do. In particular your repeated trolling of a clearly vulnerable man in the gay marriage thread was an extraordinarily low act. Despite the pleadings of several posters, including right wing posters, and the man himself, you continued to troll and play the victim. It was pretty horrendous behaviour.

You are right about something though - this place shouldn’t become an echo chamber. And, though it at times does trend that way (and you’re right, some posters do post cr@p at times) I don’t think that it is. I personally have no problems at all with right wing views, in fact I actively seek out views other than my own. I have a great deal of respect for IT, who had changed my left wing perspective on particular issues on many occasions. Warlock has also changed my view a few times too. I could name another half dozen right wing posters who I disagree with, and enormously respect. So please, don’t confuse my distaste for you with a general distaste for the right wing in general. Be assured, it’s just you.

I’ve given you the response I think you deserved. But I won’t be responding to you again.

16 Likes

Have you just made this up because it’s a ridiculous accusation to make without any evidence?

I will be flagging your post for the Mods to look at because frankly I am sick of being accused of things that I haven’t done - which ironically is almost the definition of trolling.

But this appears to be the modus operandi of many on this thread. When the heat gets turned up, you accuse the poster of something to deflect from the argument and then walk away like a coward.

I have been accused of everything on here - from a Nazi, a homophobe; a racist and a bigot. I know I am not any of those things and so do people who know me.

And all because I happen to support a party that had the majority support at the last election.

Not about a party.

You’ve hit the nail on the head of the problem with the US healthcare system. If you have a heart attack, you get rushed to hospital and they will do the minimum treatment required for you to leave alive. Any follow up medical care is not covered under emergency care. Heart medication? Nope. Scans? Nope. You basically need to wait until you have another heart attack before you are able to access free emergency care, despite modern medicine knowing exactly how to prevent that.

For a pregnant woman to qualify for emergency care, something serious has happened. All the scans, checkups, midwifery care that we expect in Australia, that would all require health insurance. All the preventable risks that those checks screen for, in America those risks become problems. Those problems become fatalities.

The USA has a huge portion of its population that don’t have access to basic healthcare. Hell, even Bangladesh of all places has better maternity care for its ENTIRE population than what America provides.

It’s a pretty logical link that lack of available healthcare leads to poor health outcomes. Quirks in data collection (which are unlikely) don’t explain away that very obvious link.

5 Likes

Really interesting piece, thanks for sharing.
I’ve been listening to this great podcast Slow Burn about Watergate. Really well done. Anyone who has an interest in American politics and how recent history is remembered should check it out.

1 Like