Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

I have listened to that podcast. It’s really good. It’s a time in history I thought I knew enough about but I was wrong. Fantastic listen.

1 Like

I voted Liberal at the last election.

But I despise Abbott, Andrews, Bernardi and Dutton…particularly Dutton. I also cannot stand Matthew Guy or Michael Kroger. I have voted Labor on a few occasions, and I think people who blindly vote for a party as somewhat…umm…deficient.

I also despise Essendon12 and Donald Trump and a fair whack of American politicians from both sides.

3 Likes

For Tripper, health issues are not politics if both parties are failing (to varying degrees). Gotta be a political winner and a political loser, not just an unfortunate result for the plebs.

Here we go. Stock buybacks - YES

2 Likes

Why are you addressing this at me when others have also said its not a political issue?
Do they get a special message from a mod as well?

Cory Booker giving voice to the unheard:

1 Like
2 Likes

To be fair to Australians, we are not schooled very well in Politics. Most Australians do not understand the different responsibilities for each level of Government and the limit of their authority. When you add a hostile media that portrays all sides as negative idiots, then you get the disrespect and distrust that most show for politicians.

That said, it is very hard to like the Liberal Pollies you mentioned. Though when I first met Matthew Guy, I found him honest, caring and believable; shows how the quest for power can change anyone.

I have also always been a Labor voter, inherited originally from my Parents, but I have been an active member since 1971, longer than my Bomber membership. I would argue that few blindly follow one Party, it is a determined choice made up of history and personal belief, though most probably don’t put enough thought into it.

It boggles my mind that a third of this nation still un-questioningly supports him. He was right. He could “shoot someone on 5th Avenue” in New York and still not lose any support.

1 Like

FYI - Bernie is doing a Medicare For All Town Hall with Ana Kasparian (TYT) next Tuesday (23rd Jan) at 7pm ET (Wednesday morning).

He was snubbed by the corporate MSM (no surprises), so has rightly chose to reach his audience via the internet. The Town Hall will be streamed live on TYT, Attn: and Now This.

1 Like

That’s a depressing story. As the author said, you’d think medications that treat or even reverse the effects of Alzheimer’s disease would be right up Pfizer’s “wheelhouse”.
So research into this area is too hard?
Youd hope that this sort of publicly supported leg-up by the way of corporate tax cuts would be spent on things just like Alzheimer’s research, creating many jobs and raising the hopes of sufferers and their families but instead it appears it’s going straight into the pockets of those who probably need it the least.
If this was the GOP’s preferred outcome then they’ve nailed it.
I try not to get involved in this thread because apart from the humour that D Trump provides, he and his cohorts don’t really effect my way of life all the way over here but this does impact all of us everywhere because if a company the size of Pfizer decides to can efforts into brain disease even after a massive windfall then the future looks bleak for those with or around those with this terrible condition.

1 Like

I agree and actually submit that a lot of the stuff that goes un-covered is impacting the globe everywhere. I apologize on behalf of the US…

Apologies are worthless, … run for President already!!

1 Like

Might have to start as a city councilman in San Francisco first :slight_smile:

Seriously though, the last few months have seen an incredible surge in folks saying “fark it, I am going to run” as was witnessed in Virginia. We need more such passion to get people actively understanding politics and the impact it has on us everyday. When only 50% of the eligible voters feel the need to vote you are constantly running the risk of a debacle.

3 Likes

I must have said it 100 times in my life.

Thank god for compulsory, (and preferential) voting.

Imagine what a different country America would be if they had it.

2 Likes

But would it be better and the result any different.

I’d say the whole world would be better and different.

And even better again without privately owned by the wealthy, bastardised agenda driven “News” (I use the term as loosely as possible …) outlets.

I have heard it proposed on American podcasts, not sure if Freakanomics or This American Life.

The guy was saying the American system needs three or four things, two of which were compulsory and preferential…and saying how well it works here.

1 Like

Ah, I covered that in my original post. I’ve bolded it now. Emergency room cover is required to be provided to all in the USA. However, it is unlikely that last minute visits to the ER for pregnancy are going to be anywhere near as effective for a healthy pregnancy as regular GP visits and checks, plans for in-hospital birth, good follow up, medications, planned cesareans, etc.

ER is also incredibly expensive for the government, and very low effectiveness for the public. Its why getting people onto health insurance is so important, and the ACA has helped control costs despite more people on insurance.

And the ACA (Obama care) made it illegal to not insure pregnant women, which beforehand 1 in 7 were not insured through being refused as “High Risk” by Ins co’s, … and now Drumps policy seeks to reverse that so they can be excluded again, … but somehow FOS tried to say that Obama was NOT doing things to redress the Maternal death rate, … and Drumpf wasn’t going to make it worse.

Astonishing crap.

3 Likes