Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

More blood on the hands of the NRA tonight.

Australia’s worst was Port Arthur (35) and led to big reforms

The USA needs a major cultural change before any gun reform can happen. Will 50+ dead do it? Surely at a minimum review what guns people can access. Begin somewhere.

There’s no way any intelligent discussion, on this or any issue, will happen under this President.

7 Likes

A man literally snuck into a primary school and in cold blood murdered several young children, and nothing changed to tighten the gun laws. If any event was going to enforce change, Sandy Hook was it, but nope.

They are never, ever going to change and these events will continue to happen.

5 Likes

As shown by what Howard achieved in this area, Trump might be the only president who could do something about it.
Saw on Twitter that the USA has had 330 gun massacres this year - so you would doubt there will be any change even from something as terrible as this.

No law restricting access to anything will succeed if it doesn’t have general popular support. US learned this with Prohibition. The entire western world is currently learning it with piracy and pot. If too many people believe a law is silly or wrong, they’ll just ignore it, and all the enforcement efforts in the world are just farting against the hurricane.

Not enough Americans currently believe in stronger gun laws. If the laws come in, they’ll be largely ignored (often with the cooperation or cooperation of cops, who are citizens too after all).

An American friend of mine said after Sandy Hook that if the mass shooting of a couple of dozen primary school kids didn’t motivate america to tighten gun laws, nothing would. A large portion of the nation has decided that this sort of thing is a reasonable price to pay for the 2nd amendment, and shows no signs of rethinking their position.

3 Likes

To move public opinion, you need leadership

It’s a nice thought.

I think under another President you might have the argument,
“Well, at least machine guns.
No, we can’t stop all the crazies, but we can limit the damage.
The fact is, not all of those people had to die.
Some of them could have been saved. By us.
We’ve chosen not to.
Let’s not do that anymore.”

That’s just what I think.

What I expect from this President is a tweet that makes no sense about anything to do with the massacre. But hey, I’ve been wrong before.

I’m amazed they were able to track this guy down so quickly and neutralise him.

Massive hotel, thousands of people in the area, they’d have no idea how many shooters there were.

In a nation where political power depends on attracting the rabid support of the crazies on your side first, then trying to scrabble together a bare plurality of people who hate you less than they do the other guy, no leadership can unite the country behind a controversial policy (or even convince them to give it a go) any more.

Change has to be demanded from the ground up. And it won’t be.

2 Likes

At best you might get bag checks on people staying in major hotels. Treat major hotels like an aircraft?

People could still keep their weapons, but if you check into the hotel with automatic weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition then the ammunition is kept separately by the hotel.

50 dead 200 injured as of an hour ago.

Agree with the above that this debate died as a live issue after Sandy Hook.

Unless some psycho marches into a maternity ward and starts blowing new born babies away, this situation is never ever gonna change. Even then, the NRA would probably say that every baby should have an armed security guard or something.

Also - bearded guy at Lindt Cafe kills one person = terrorist.

White guy kills 50+ people in Vegas = definitely not at all terrorist.

Figure that one out because I sure as fark can’t.

10 Likes

Meh, just another day in USA, don’t even care anymore.

They’ve had their chances to make a change but refuse to because 'Merica, that’s Why!!!

If they weren’t going to change after Sandy Hook (which apparently didn’t happen, was just an act orchestrated by Obama to tighten gun laws just like Howard and port Arthur) then these morons were never going to change.

2 Likes

Emma on L Line just said it’s now considered the largest US shooting ever.

You’re only a terrorist if you’re a Muslim.

1 Like

Just goes to prove it was a gubment set-up and cover-up…

Nothing will change.

Say the woman that was with him was an Aussie,… & she’s been found.