Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

“The older I get, and the more I see of human beings, the more I understand why some people love their dogs so much.”

Thomas Sowell

3 Likes

What?

The guy tackled the shooter, who then shot himself. Engle then went and got his gun from the car. So his act of tackling stopped the shooting, not the fact he had a gun in the car.

Have I missed something?

1 Like

No mention of that other church shooting…

1 Like

Looks like I should have added ‘wacky NRA apologist’ as well.

4 Likes

How about this one then which is a bit closer to home?

Farmer who used gun to protect family from knife-wielding intruder has rifle confiscated

A farmer who confronted a knife-wielding intruder entering his family home with a rifle has had his guns confiscated by police.

David Dunstan used an unloaded rifle to stop the man entering his home as his three children lay sleeping inside.

He claims he’s being punished for protecting his family.

It was 3am when Mr Dunstan noticed the man on his property Bungowannah property in the New South Wales Riverina region.

“I sort of notice in his one hand he had a knife and I thought ‘ooh’,” he said.

Mr Dunstan uses a rifle for vermin control and armed with it, unloaded, he convinced the young man, possibly affected by ice, to surrender before driving him to Albury Police.

Their reaction has left the family stunned.

Mr Dunstan’s wife Andrea said the majority of Australians “think we should be able to protect our loved ones in our own homes”.

His .22 calibre rifle and two other guns were confiscated. He says he doesn’t know what else he could have done.

The threat was real.

Earlier that same night, the alleged intruder appeared at a nearby property outside a child’s bedroom window before smashing a kitchen window and being chased off by the owner armed with a hockey stick.

Liberal Democrats Senator David Leyonhjelm said Mr Dunstan was protecting his family and “did what any normal father would do”.

Police say the best course of action is to call Triple-0.

Mr Dunstan said he has no ill-will toward police just frustration at the system he believes is favouring criminals and minorities.

“You go and break into someone’s house you can be expected to either get arrested, shot or you could be maybe killed,” he said.

“And until that happens this sort of stuff keeps going on.”

The alleged intruder was denied bail and is due in court next month.

I think when you come to the point where trying to stop machine gun fire into a crowd is seen by the person you’re talking to as a bad, even evil, thing, then it’s time to end the conversation.

4 Likes

lucky the intruder wasn’t armed with a ■■■■■■■ automatic gun, the bloke wouldn’t be alive to be able to whinge about having his gun confiscated

3 Likes

No, it was lucky he has his own rifle and was able to stop an armed person from getting into his home, did you miss that bit of the story?

And what is the response here in lefty loony land? Take his guns off of him…

You do know that there are ■■■■■■■ automatic weapons on the streets here in Australia, don’t you?

I think when you come to the point where trying to stop people from owning guns is seen as the remedy to stop criminals from acting like criminals, then it is time to end the conversation.

Yeah, I’ve read enough.

There’s enough guns in the USA that through sheer weight of numbers you can find the odd annecdotal example of a gun saving the day. You can also find an absolute crapload of examples of guns making situations far far worse.

Having a gun can protect you in a home invasion. There’s no statistical difference however between holding a gun and holding a baseball bat. Same result on average. Plus with a baseball bat, there’s not much danger of a child shooting someone with a bat, or accidentally dropping a bat and killing someone, or committing suicide with the bat, or a criminal taking the bat off you and splattering your brains across the wall.

I don’t mind guns for valid uses. But they have inherent risks and it ■■■■■■ me off no end when people downplay or deny that guns can and do cause mass numbers of needless death and injury.

3 Likes

Kushner has a third email account, also on a private server, that he has used to conduct government business. He is forgetful. He was also explicitly warned by the NSA not to use private servers.

Joe Arpaio, the Sherriff recently pardoned, has signalled the possibility of running for office. He also indicated that he is looking to re-ignite the Birther debate about Barack Obama, which is nice because that was a lie that was in danger of being forgotten admidst everything else.

The Trump White House has been dragging its heels on enacting the Iran, North Korea, and Russia sanctions that Congress passed in August according to Senators McCain and Cardin.

These posts by Warlock are a joke right? Gotta be a joke.

8 Likes

The guy with the gun was not the problem, the problem is that the 30,000 people in the crowd didn’t have guns to protect themselves…Stupid Americans!

1 Like

More than the town I grew up in.

Blows my mind.

In Warlock Land, if those 30,000 people had all been armed there would have been a better conclusion to this incident.

Faaaaaaark me.

2 Likes

The NRA spook people into thinking that considering ‘gun control’ is an attempt to ‘take away all your guns so you cannot protect yourself from a tyrannical govt’. Ties in with evangelical Christians fears about end of the world.

This stops any type of sane conversation about what types of guns should be legally available, and who gets access to them.

Sums up right wing nutters.

In a perfect society these idiots would be lined up against a wall and shot.

4 Likes

Great video, with the standout line being the below:

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, a number of other lawmakers who won’t do anything about this because the NRA has their balls in a money clip, also sent their thoughts and their prayers today, which is good.

They should be praying. They should be praying for God to forgive them for letting the gun lobby run this country."

4 Likes