Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

It has always been a Democrat issue. But they have prioritised it below things like healthcare and immigration reform. In purple states, it was widely acceptable to be a pro-gun Democrat. The party hasn’t focused on gun control to any great extent, raising the odd bill, but not fighting to get them passed. It is largely this lack of political willpower that has held back any meaningful reform.

What I’m trying to say is the party is moving this issue to the forefront. They will run candidates on this issue. This will be a 2018 mid-term issue, where in previous elections it was effectively background noise. When they next hold power, I’m expecting this to be an early focus.

Once again you fail to read.
I said I am not a great believer in polls. Its right underneath my post.

Two reasons:

1. They can be easily manipulated to get the result that you want.
  2. There will always be cries that the poll is biased etc

Also, FYI.
The CNN poll used 1016 ‘likely’ voters. Not actual voters.

Of these 1016, 33% identified as Democrats, 44% as unknown and 23% as Republican.
This break up differs from the general break up of voting intent and election results. Now why would CNN use a poll where more Democrats were polled over Republicans. Hmmmmmm.

In addition, CNN used live interviewers rather than telephone prompts. It is well known that people are more inclined to be truthful anonymously than in person.

Anyway, I’m sure I’m telling you nothing new here as obviously you are all over this type of thing.

Whereas the guys biased towards Trump are saying…

Must be a cunning plan to rally the base, eh?

1 Like

posts poll to support opinion

6 Likes

Who knows - there are problems with both polls being discussed. Hence why I am not a great believer in them.

“Ivanka, why are you representing the nation in sensitive meetings?”

“Well, I AM the Senior Advisor to the President!”

“Oh, ok. What do you think of the sexual assault allegations against the President?”

“What a despicably rude question to ask a daughter about her Father!”

4 Likes

Quite a misogynistic question too. Are females only capable of answering questions deemed fit for the New Idea’s and Woman’s Day’s of the world?

Mentions a CNN poll no one has posted in here.

Trivialising sexual assault is about as misogynistic as you can get.
It is really quite offensive & I think we have been down this road with you before.

And dear husband is now being leveraged by foreign powers.

1 month down, 17 to go.

6 Likes

Sorry Trip, but even by your breakdown of Dems vs Reps, with the size of the unknown voting contingent, you cannot state categorically that more Democrats than Republicans were polled. I could just as easily extrapolate the results to say that more Republicans than Democrats were polled, simply because liberal voters are more likely to be happy to be identified as such than their conservative counterparts. Either assertion is flawed.

Try again,.

I’m a fan of 538’s approach: don’t pay much attention to individual poles, watch for trends over time.

Trump did spike recently above 40% approval. He tends to do well when he is quiet and the economy is doing well. When he starts making headlines again, his popularity drops, now again down into the high 30’s.

Interestingly, there has been a trend where “strongly support” has been dropping for Trump. What support he has is more and more in the “somewhat support” range. He’s currently around 20% strongly vs 40% for the Democrats. Shows how motivated the base will be to turn out in November.

Thing is, the GOP has a effective ~7% advantage in Congress due to gerrymandering, control of state offices and other factors. They could take a decent swing against them and still hold power. Trump can realistically achieve this just by staying quiet and not doing anything idiotic.

Good for him (IF he sticks with it). Over to you, dear Republicans:

3 Likes

This is getting interesting

1 Like

59 PM

1 Like

That first picture is chilling

Hope Hicks signalling she is to step down as Communications Director. That will be comms director number 5 they are looking for now. So far it has been Spicer (two stints), Dubke, Scaramucci, and Hicks. You could also count Sanders too, I guess, I think she doubled up with her role as Press Secretary (like Spicer) in an acting capacity during the interim between Scaramucci and Hick’s appointment.