Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

DLJz2D8UQAAs38k

14 Likes

Because this thread has turned to ■■■■ and needs this post

1 Like

18 Likes
1 Like

4 Likes

Another superb response from a late night host (my favourite host in fact).

Sad state of affairs where late night comedians are the voice of reason rather than politicians.

1 Like

I’m imagining a Kick-■■■ style movie. When you see what that kid does with the Kinder Surprise you are going to freak.

1 Like

Clinton, Bush, Obama have all failed at amending America’s gun laws.

Yet this is now all Trumps doing.

The sheer hatred those on the Left have for him is mind-blowing and completely unhinged.

For what it’s worth I disagree with their gun laws but at the end of the day it’s their country and their laws.

Late night comedians and celebrities won’t change anything (in my opinion they only make things worse because everyday people despise their snobbery). It will only be the will of the people that will get things done.

2 Likes

Oh FFS, don’t make this a left / right thing. Where has anyone said this is all Trump’s doing? Everyone knows it goes back centuries. In spite of this, one of the 1st pieces of business for the Trump administration was to roll back gun-ownership restrictions implemented under Obama, e.g. -

1 Like

It is pretty clear in here alone it is a Republican fault alone.

I know Hillary was quick to lay the blame for this at the Republicans feet.

So yes it is a left/right thing based on comments in here and online.

1 Like

I don’t know why I should care whether it’s Republicans or Democrats.
I’m not American. I have no skin in the game.
But it seems to me that it’s one party that’s more about making gun laws weaker than the other.

Am I wrong?

2 Likes

IT, the fact is that whenever a strong gun-control bill has been put forward in front of the Senate or Congress, it does not pass solely due to the vast majority of Republicans voting against it. Yes, there are 3-4 democrats who may vote “nay” but the relative difference is stark.

Then the Republicans counter by revealing a low-control bill that no Democrat votes for.

Then, of course there is the big tell of who the NRA supports and how much money it spends for Republicans. I recall reading that in 2016 there was ONE Democrat who got any support from the NRA and it was a check for $1,000.

This article is fascinating and includes this little tit-bit:
“The gun rights organization spent a stupendous $54.4 million in the 2016 election cycle, almost all of it in “independent expenditures,” meaning spending for or against a candidate but not a direct contribution to a campaign. The money went almost entirely to Republicans to a degree that almost looks like a misprint (but isn’t): Of independent expenditures totaling $52.6 million, Democrats received $265.”

2 Likes

Just so you know I never said it wasn’t the Republicans fault, I was just responding to part of a comment.

I think the whole thing is stupid. How many people need to die before they get a clue? I don’t think they will EVER get a clue to be honest.

1 Like

You are really a very sick puppy. There is no politics in this.

The blame for this outrage is the sole domain of the guy who pulled the trigger. The cause needs to be addressed and while USA have more mass murder events, no country is immune.

So IT, you really think that Left wingers don’t own guns. The more anyone makes this a political issue, the smaller the chance of any action.

John Howard took decisive action, supported by all of Parliament, there were no politics in it. Some farmers and most red-necks disagreed, but they lost. Don’t be as bad as Tripper.

2 Likes

I think you’ve confused doubting Trump’s ability to change this pattern of violence for the better, with thinking it is all Trump’s fault. That’s not necessarily a criticism of Trump either. More capable Presidents have tried. It is an immense problem. How he responds from here will be worthy of critique however. It is America’s fault. Other nations seem to be able to own a lot of guns but not use them on eachother with this regularity. Other nations seem to be able to talk about gun control without threatening to draw guns on eachother.

1 Like

BF I was responding to a comment about saying the Trip was wrong that people were making it a left/right thing. I agree with you completely. But people have been making it a left/right thing and that to me is part of the problem.

1 Like

He was talking about “ordinary people”. Ordinary people are the ones whose feelings have been trampled on by the “elites” like Conan and Ellen and, presumably, Jobe Watson. They voted in Trump, they’ll likely give our Cory a push, and no doubt also went under the moniker of Howard’s Battlers back in the day. Ordinary People are the biggest suckers in any demographic, to the point where they don’t even rail against being called ordinary. Bread and circuses, and blood if you got it.

But for the sake of partisan partying there’s a list available of every senator who got funding from the NRA for the 16 cycle and how much. By and large flat sums of identical amounts circling 10k. By and extremely large right wingers. Napalm Lobbying. Nothing to see here, all kosher.

2 Likes

I agree. And Trip is part of the problem by framing it as a L/R issue (because that’s what he/she does).

Trump might take action on gun control. With his little hands I doubt he could hold a gun.