Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Sorry IT.

I get very upset sometimes that everything is about politics. Easy for some to blame Trump on this, but is is not a new thing and every President, Member of Congress and Senator need to feel very ashamed at their lack of actions over many, many years, but like here, politicians reflect what the community wants and I am not convinced the USA wants gun control.

1 Like

And that is the tragedy. 59 dead and over 400 injured. Among them I am sure there were Republicans, Democrats, Independents. Trump voters and Hillary voters. Maybe even some Bernie supporters. Whites, Asians, African-Americans, Hispanics. These bullets don’t discriminate.

This may be just my jaded outlook (a result of an ever increasing exposure to daily WTF moments in the last 2 years) but I fear it is too late for the US.

1 Like

No, most people can see it.

It probably is too late. When a country has more gun than people how on earth can you be sure that if they do a buy back that everyone will hand them back?

Personally, I don’t see the need for an assault rifle anywhere on the world, what possible reason would you need one apart from killing dozens of people in quick time?

Damn that Points System for migrating to Oz or I could have safely stayed back and be living in Melbourne :wink:

Don’t you get bonus point for being a Bomber

2 Likes

For those interested in Peter Norman - check out the doco “Salute” directed by Peter’s son Matt, it focuses on Norman, the protest and the resulting fallout for him as well as Tommie Smith & John Carlos. It is currently available to view via SBS on Demand

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/323838531676/salute

4 Likes

Being a Bomber isn’t something you want to put on an immigration form :rofl:

6 Likes

Probably better off using the term ‘Essendon fan’.

Telling immigration you’re a bomber may not be the smartest idea in the eorld…

Lol.

No one in here has said its Trumps doing from what I’ve seen. The commentariat has run along the lines of “they (USA) are totally frigged up and you watch, this wont provoke change either”.

At least Obama publicly declared things needed to shift on semi auto weapons. It remains to be seen what Trumps utterences will be.

But if its “thoughts and prayers” I’m sure you’ll lampoon it like you do with others in the wake of islamic terrorist attacks?

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I absolutely do not see this as Trumps fault and absolutely agree that Democrats share a significant amount of the blame.

However, this now is Trumps moment. He wants to make America great again? He says he’s the ultimate outsider and that under him its not business as usual? Well this is his moment to prove it.

If he does something - I’ll be the first to praise it, just like I praised Howard despite being opposed to his politics. If he does nothing, he’ll stand condemned on this issue just like a procession of former presidents.

3 Likes

This isn’t the fault of an individual. I have a very low opinion of Trump’s capacity to effectively govern, but he is the last person I’d consider to have anything to do with America’s gun problems.

The NRA has led a very effective campaign over decades to protect gun sales. They block data collection efforts, so there isn’t actually any decent info about how gun violence occurs and what effective measures can be used to control it. They block any sensible, small efforts at gun control.

And they solely fund the Republicans, which from an external viewer simply discredits the GOP’s efforts to block gun control.

But hey, at least visiting America gives you interesting cultural experiences such as signs saying “please do not carry concealed weapons in this ski resort”.

3 Likes

Interesting use of quotation marks here:

He thinks 76 minutes is quick?

1 Like

Didn’t a smoke alarm go off and they could see the smashed window from outside the building? MIRACLE

K Beasley was on ABC720 earlier today to talk about the latest massacre in the US involving firearms. Those who know a bit about Beasley know he is a keen historian and a great admirer of the United States. In his opinion, the corruption of the 2nd amendment is a relatively recent phenomenon and that there is a historical precedent for gun restraint which could happen again if the right people can get into decision making positions. He also believes the argument the the NRA is too powerful is moot because anti-gun organisations are equally organised and financed to provide a counter view. He was frustrated but believes the US has it in itself to agree to re-calibrate to a more sensible gun ownership model.

My basic understanding of the 2nd amendment was that it was brought in to make sure that people couldn’t usurp power fromt he people and get the military out as the only people with weapons. The idea was that it allowed the average person to form militias to stop the government becoming a kingdom which they had left behind. They were oppressed and couldn’t defend themselves and they didn’t want it happening in their new land.

It was usurped to mean what it does today rater than the spirit of what it meant from the past.

Precisely.

An outdated concept now perpetuated by arms peddlers.

Face it : if the U.S. military wants you dead, you’re dead.

The problem is, the US Supreme Court have ratified that the 2nd applies even to current weaponry that wasnt in existence at the time it was written. Strictly as a point of law, the Right to bear arms keeps winning under the 2nd.

Which maybe means that the only pathway is to get the 2nd re-written or repealed?. Which Google seems to suggest requires 2/3 of Congress and THEN 3/4 of all States to vote in favour of.

Maybe there’s another way for Congress to impose partial restrictions, which is really what they need?

If the Health Protection Act changes get up to allow silencers, they are doomed. A Clinton restriction on assault weapons lapsed in 2004.
The Australian plan involves the States and Commonwealth, but the Commonwealth has the upper hand in controlling imports. Reportedly there are over 10k gun manufacturers in the US, worth billions to the economy ( although it is unknown how much the military counts in this )