Make the US Politics Thread Great Again


#4620

Apparently the embassy move is all about precipiting armageddon. I’m happy for the evangelicals to have their end-of-days, just leave everyone else out of it.


#4621

Only something like 18% of American Jews suppprt moving the embassy to Jerusalem. But the remaining 82% must be the anti-Israel Jews, because being against moving the embassy is clearly anti-Israel.


#4622

EFA


#4623

The Giro was paid to start this year’s Giro in Jerusalem, as was Froome to appear. I would not be surprised if the next Eurovision is held there.
The Israelis attach a great deal of significance to acceptance of Jerusalem as the capital by the wider public as well as by governments. The establishment of the US Embassy is so much more than a building, which is why Australia and most other western governments are not prepared to go that far.


#4624

Player, you just got played.


#4625

Well who didn’t see that coming…


#4626

Trump


#4627

Nth Korea has wanted a face to face with the US President for decades. They want to appear as equals. Expect all the positioning in advance of the summit to pursue this agenda, to weaken or destabilise the US position.


#4628

Have to love the socialists on here. Seem to be actively cheering for North Korea and for it to keep its nukes.

And before you start popping the champagne, the summit has not been cancelled. Its only a threat and an empty one at that given the US and others have them over a barrel.


#4629


#4630

Has any country with nukes ever given them up?

South Africa had a shared nuclear thing but I don’t think they ever had one. That’s the only example I can think of.


#4631

Funny thing is, I can’t think of a socialist government that has ever used them.

America on the other hand …


#4632

As much as it’s silly to try to predict the actions of two psychopaths…

Previous posters are right, NK more than anything else wants legitimacy.
So to have the US offer talks is good.
To turn down the US is better.


#4633

With due respect, you are a ■■■■■■■ idiot


#4634

So, like, none then …??


#4635

The NK statement really targeted Trump’s new National Security Advisor, Bolton, as an impediment to the process. Mentioned Pompeo, the new Secretary of State, positively.


#4636

And what would you have Israel do then, genius?
Let huge groups of people in whose very charter states that they wish to exterminate you.

Maybe invite them in for a cup of tea and a scone.

The amount of hatred people have on here for Israel and Jews in general never ceases to amaze me. And these are the same people who accuse others of being Nazis. The irony is always lost on them though.


#4637

South Africa had actual nukes I’m pretty sure. But the old apartheid govt gave them up before Mandela came to power, rather than let black people have control of them.

You can make a pretty strong case for arguing that many of the ex-Soviet states gave up a nuclear capability. Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Belorussia especially. The entireity of the USSrs nuclear capability went to Russia, even though the majority of it was based in other republics. Bet there’s a fair few Ukrainians who regret that now…


#4638

NK not the only one to see him in a bad light, including friendly Western Governments and within the US. He is not a negotiator’s bootlace, treats other countries with contempt is a unilaterist and a winner takes all. He would be inclined to tell Trump what he wants to hear, not what might be achievable.


#4639

I’m not reading an anti-Israel vibe on here. ■■■■■■ off with trump for inciting the current conflict, sure. Agast at the suffering that is occurring, definitely. Angry and unsupportive of the strategy of the CURRENT Israeli government, yeah. But anti-Israel… not so much. Nobody is advocating the end of the Israeli state or anything like it. Nobody is saying Israel is solely to blame for the current situation. But Israel had been killing and wounding mass numbers of civilians, and it is perfectly reasonable to call them out on that.