Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Lol.
That was my Year 8 class in 1984*.
How are we going to deal with all this leisure time when the machines take over?
Meanwhile, people work two jobs to stay above the poverty line.

*npi

I just can’t help but think that pitting the very. very rich against the very, very poor is not a sustainable model for either.

I think it’s been established that trickle-down prosperity doesn’t work.
Has it been established that trickle-up destitution isn’t a thing?

I think trip established irrefutable proof of the benefits for all in the trickle down model.

#waitingforthemorlocks

2 Likes

Turns out ‘all this leisure time’ from automation means more redundancies, more part-time work & more over-qualified baristas. And the increased profits from reduced costs are diverted to an offshore tax haven. Meanwhile the skilled IT jobs that enable the automation in the 1st place are moving to India for lower labour costs.

Who’da thunk it…

1 Like

Speaking of Capitalism:

Richest country in the world.

Trickle-up anarchy is a more probable outcome.

1 Like

All the guns might come in handy

And also, bank profits at an all time high thanks to tax cuts.

1 Like

Yes, but…a slightly decreased bank profit is seen as a loss, for some reason I’ve never understood.
Made 1.5B last year? Great!
Made 1.45B this year? Disaster!

Yep, love the ONLY made X billion profit his year headlines

Capitalism’s greatest flaw. It relies on “growth”.

What do you mean by having a deductible ?

It’s similar to car or house insurance excess.

So a $9k deductible is what you pay first before they do anything.

If that’s correct that’s an astonishing premium to pay every year.

2 Likes

Ha ha ha ha. :joy: Sorry, couldn’t help laughing. You think the employers are paying for it???

The US government funds as much of healthcare as other nations. Some is to people below a multiple of the poverty line. Some is for those over 65. But a huge chunk is to employer “funded” healthcare. The other part is an effective reduction in wages.

Employers love the US system. It forces people into work for healthcare, they can cut people’s pay via changing health plans, and they get the full % tax deductibles regardless of if its the CEO’s plan or the cleaners. So the rich’s plan’s get greater Government support than the middle class, and if you’re in the wrong job or not poor enough you get nothing.

Now, the ACA (Obamacare) did/does fix some of the above. But a combination of Republican State’s legal action, refusal to cover their inhabitants, and the Republicans winning all three federal houses meant some elements never got implemented and some have been rolled back.

And the US / NK summit is over.

I am shocked, I tell you! You mean that a rush to get a Nobel Prize failed?!?!

6 Likes

Have never understood why Australian governments have to be such grovelling lackeys to the USA.
Especially now with the orange orangutan in power, NO country should trust or believe anything coming out the White House.

Trump calls off NK meeting within hours after they demolished one of their nuclear test sites.

Oh and he basically threatened them with nuclear war in a letter that he then released publicly.

“You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”

Yiiiiiikes