Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Oooh-er!

But I can still see Mendozaaaa rubbing one out for that. Maybe because I’ve met him a few times.

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t mute it, My bad.

Where do I sign?

Newt is one weird cat.

If only I knew who Maxine Waters is, and why is she so crazy in Newt’s opinion.

The craziest thing Newt has ever said was that the movie ‘London Has Falle’ was:

A sobering warning about the potential escalation of Islamic Supremacists efforts

It was certainly a sobering warning about the potential escalation in the amount of acting roles awarded to Gerard Butler.

1 Like

You are not half as confused as Donald Jr. He thinks Maxine Waters is Frederica Wilson. Can’t tell two different women apart.

This is an amusing read:

Republican Senator Flake has mirrored R-Sen Corker’s sentiments in a speech on the Senate floor by condemning Trump as a President and the GOP for accomodating him.

While I agree with them, it is a little late for that. The time for just constantly condemning him is over, they should have been far more vocal during the election cycle. Now it is time to try and knuckle down and limit the damage and use his craziness to do something worthwhile if possible.

2 Likes

It would be news if Senator Snowflake was not criticising Trump.

You should have thrown RINO in there too, to complete the uniform. The kind of uniform you normally deride.

Any thoughts on the content of Corker’s, McCain’s, Flake’s, and Bush’s criticisms of Trump? They were all in the past week.

Not much sympathy for Flake or Corker. They talk a good game but haven’t put their money where their mouths are by voting against Trump even once. When the rubber hits the road, they oppose about as much as tripper does.

Between the two of them, plus someone like McCain or Murkowski who are not trump fans at all, they could vote with the dems and actually DO something about trump. They wouldnt have to even go as far as impeachment - supporting stuff like the mooted bill to remove a president’s power to unilaterally launch a nuclear first strike would be something concrete they could do, Instead, they make speeches. Corker couldn’t even bring himself to NAME the guy he was supposedly fearlessly criticising. And then after warning the nation about a guy who is incompetent and a threat to everyone, they pledge to … retire, and give up the position they hold which allows them to oppose him effectively.

Colour me unimpressed.

2 Likes

I disagree that is too late, just later than it should or could have been. These things have all been said behind closed doors till now. The actions taken in a less public arena. Which is not to say they did enough.

The plan to use his craziness was the original GOP plan in the face of his rise within the party and upon winning the election. That got them a Supreme Court seat, but precious little else.

He’s a weak President whose sway on the Congress is fading unless and until he gets a bunch of Roy Moores elected and then he’ll probably find that he can’t control them too.

Sympathy no. I agree. None. They are powerful and priveleged, and could have and could do more.

In terms of votes on the floor you are absolutely right. How much hasn’t made it to the floor would be the other side of that equation.

In terms of giving up the position that allows them to oppose someone they consider a threat to US democracy, they have the rest of their terms to do just that. So we’ll see. That also probably requires the Dems to come to the table, be moderate and pragmatic. Some of the language I’ve seen from them is the opposite, citing that Trump is in an opportunity for them to lurch to the left. I think that is a mistake. Like that response to Flake and Corker from the DNC chair was a mistake. The Dems have an opportunity, they should take it.

The inertia of party fellowship isn’t quickly dealt with I guess.

Why didn’t this get pushed through under Obama?

I think the answer to this is rather obvious

2 Likes

Yes but it is cheap. In reality there is a lot that would need to happen for him to request a nuclear strike, he can’t just go rogue and it will happen.

Don’t think it’s fair to level the criticisms against McCain.

He has voted against Trump, it was his vote that scuttled the health care bill.

Also whilst it’s true he is leaving the senate, he’s pretty sick, if not dying.

Edit: He may not have been directly critised above

1 Like