Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Watching Threads was the grimmest thing to ever happen to me in my life

It’s amazing to think what America could have been like if both Kennedy’s and MLK hadn’t been assassinated and the Vietnam War never happened.

1 Like

But it had such a happy ending!

Not so sure the Kennedys were as great as they are painted. Career Political family and tied to Big Business and Wall Street. If you study Civil Rights in the USA, the great gains were made by Lyndon Johnson who is revered by African Americans. Kennedy played politics with the Bill of Rights, LBJ got it done.

Dr King and his colleagues were remarkable people.

If you are ever in Atlanta visit the Museum of Civil Rights, some very chilling stories to see there.

And US involvement in Vietnam was fostered under Kennedy and he was prepared to loose the nuclear arsenal if the Ruskies had placed missiles in Cuba.

Kennedy’s were certainly a conflicted family with quite a lot of skeletons, just look at what was done to their sister, and JFK certainly receives more credit than he should (which is one of the benefits of having one’s brains blown out) but RFK will always be the great unknown of US history, right alongside Bush v Gore.

If MLK and all the other civil rights leaders who were murdered and assassinated had been spared the US would be unrecognisable to what it is today.

And the Civil Rights museum is already on my bucket list :slight_smile:

The speech Bobby made after MLK’s assassination makes me think he’d have been one of the good 'uns.

It’s really worth a listen, and should be easily…you know what?
I’ll just plonk it here.

7 Likes

That is a great speech but so sad. Assasinated two months later himself.

It’s easy to forget how much blood the US right is bathed in.

Time Warner Building - Columbus Circle has been evacuated due to a suspicious package (CNN Headquarters)

Is it grits?

Yep the Kennedys made some great speeches and had some of the best speech writers ever.

Maybe they both were in office for such a short time that the actions didn’t get a chance to follow, and maybe Johnson was just lucky to be following on from them. I think JFK is more revered outside of USA than in it.

Bombs mailed to the Clintons, Obama, CNN, and prominent Democrats. Insanity. Luckily the secret service intercepted many of them.

I just hope things don’t get violent.

So…not grits.

2 Likes

grits?

I assumed it was a gift from someone in a southern state, so I went with grits.
Seems I was a little off.

And while you’re in the area (or in the South at least) can I suggest that you visit the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Hotel (site of the MLK’s assassination) in Memphis?

www.civilrightsmuseum.org

There are lots of reasons to visit Memphis: music, good food, interesting history, the Mississippi et al, but I was totally blown away this museum which I guess was completed in the last few years.

The Lorraine Hotel, the balcony of which MLK was standing on when he was shot, has been entirely repurposed. The facade retains the ‘60s suburban motel’ look and feel of the time of the assassination bu, behind and beneath it a superb museum has been created which traces the long and incredibly sophisticated battle to win civil rights in the US. What the museum does particularly well is highlight the many other thinkers and leaders who aren’t as well known as MLK, those that came before him and those that have come after.

It reminded me that one person, no matter how inspired or courageous, cannot really achieve social change. No, for that, you need a movement, a generalised rising up of thousands of hardworking people who coalesce around a common purpose. With the focus on MLK, it’s easy to forget all those who paved the way or stood beside him. Truly inspirational…

Politico reporting “to be disappointed” on Mueller’s investigation on “Russian meddling”

Nuts eh.

What’s interesting is that there is blame on Trump.

Really political discussion has degenerated there. Trump has been under constant attack and since he is carrying some insecurities has attacked right back.

We have the same here. Just need someone with a touch of gravitas and authority.

Soros also got some explosive mail

Better still, if America had LOST the 1770’s war of independence!

4 Likes

Or hadn’t been founded by zealot whack jobs.

2 Likes