Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

She’s got Betsy Devos eyes

5 Likes

It’s just a witch hunt with a lot of “smock”…

1 Like

Ryan Zinke, the Interior Secretary, also now stepping down. He is the one who had a special flag designed for himself in this role and had it flown above the building when he was in the office.

3 Likes

When Trump threatened to “Drain the Swamp”, I don’t think anyone realised he was talking about his associates and members of the GOP rather than the Democrats everyone assumed he was talking about. I personally think that the far reaching results of Trump attaining the Oval Office really could change the face of America. There is every chance that the political backlash against him could be so great that the Dems end up with a super majority in both houses and end up implementing massive reforms of not only the welfare, health care, minimum wage and tax systems in the states, but the electoral system as well, to effectively outlaw gerrymandering. If they achieve that, it could well be the death knell of the GOP for decades to come.

2 Likes

1 Like

Re: Mulvaney as Chief Of Staff: one point raised is that since he is not stepping down from a Senate confirmed role at the OMB as he assumes the Chief Of Staff position at the White House he can therefore be called before Congress to testify.

Not really certain of the significance of that but it is possibly an interesting unintended consequence of Trump’s flapping around.

You will Be interested in this article which takes your thoughts a couple of steps further. Essentially, the US needs Trump in order to turn the US into California- a one party super majority that is largely kept in check.

*actually it doesn’t so much take your thoughts further but fleshes then out

1 Like

Amazing return on investment

1 Like

Haven’t his golf trips tallied up to more than that?

He has spent about 30% of his presidency at his properties. I understand the total cost is over $150m.

Not all of that is going to him, but plenty does.

2 Likes

Da darling

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/12/16/new-report-russian-disinformation-prepared-senate-shows-operations-scale-sweep/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ea9e32747d4e

Pivoting back to policy…

What policies are the Dems ostensibly going to campaign on given Pelosi is pushing for “pay go” rules i.e. any increase in spending has to be matched with increases in revenue or other budget cuts

Why are they handcuffing themselves for no damn reason? The fight for the WH against Trump/GOP should specifically be fought on policy as there are plenty of compelling ones to fight for, however those initiatives come with increased spending. Republicans didn’t get a ■■■■ about how Trump’s tax cuts would be paid for, they used bullshit budget projections to show it would “pay for itself”. They also won’t be politically damaged for those tax cuts, despite an enormous increase to the deficit.

If Pelosi thinks the Dems will somehow be rewarded for handcuffing themselves so that they can’t even put forward bills that will expand the deficit then she’s even worse than I thought.

1 Like

My take is it’s a good thing for the Dems to present themselves as the adult at the table. Make the GOP and Trump price that their policies aren’t going to further cripple the country’s finances. Making a strong point that Trump can’t be trusted on finances is a major piece of the 2020 campaign.

Once they get through the primaries, then the grander vision will come together. The candidate will largely create the agenda at that point. Until then, they need to play smart defence, not appearing to be obstructionist just because they can.

Why would you expect anything but a bland assertion that trickle-down economics works?

That claim has “worked” for ages.

1 Like

‘Worked’ exceptionally well for big business, share holders and CEO’s.

I don’t know a single economist who believes in trickle down. It’s not taken seriously except among conservative politicians who continue to laud Reagan as a god.

In recent years, inequality has been a massive focus in academia - something does not gel at all with trickle down.

4 Likes

Not one does, … they all know it’s bullshit.

No they don’t, … they also know it’s bullshit, . they just lie about it so they can reap the Cream.

My trickle-down comment was in response to the claim the Democrats should be the grown-ups and portray their own policies as worse for the economy/bottom line.

We’ve established trickle-down doesn’t have to work; it just has to be convincing enough to collect votes/donations.

1 Like

Those that donate need no convincing, they also know it’s bullshit, … they invented it!

They will always donate heavily to anyone espousing it, … those that have the most to gain from it, also have the most to give.

The Trump administration has banned the high-power gun attachments of the type used in last year’s Las Vegas shooting massacre of 58 people, giving the owners of “bump stocks” 90 days to turn in or destroy the devices and blocking owners from being able to register them.

United States President Donald Trump’s Republican Party typically supports gun ownership, and its members have fiercely fought off perceived threats to the US constitution’s second amendment guaranteeing Americans the right to bear arms.

His administration, though, is sidestepping any potential debate in Congress in issuing a final rule that adds bump stocks to a definition of machine guns written 80 years ago, during the heyday of gangsters’ use of “tommy guns”.

3 Likes