Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Sure thing. FYI Gabbard is a member of the House LGBT Marriage Equality Caucus, if that’s worth anything.

She can march in the Sydney Marcus Grad for all of me.
She’s toast.

Your opinion of course.

Hillary Clinton only changed her position on LGBTQI only very recently, as a 60 something year old, so I hardly think one whose views have evolved from a 20 something yo with a voting record to match is going to have too many problems on that front.

Even Obama flipped flopped on SSM, won two terms.

1 Like

Lol.
Of course it’s my opinion.
I don’t pretend mine are secretly facts.

I’d still argue George W Bush was worse, though admittedly he had 8 years to ■■■■ all over the place, while Trump’s only had 2 so far.

Trump’s administration has so far been too disorganised and chaotic to deliberately create bad policy, all his stuff-ups have been due to incompetence and neglect. In the long run it’ll count the same, but I still reckon Bush has his nose in front (and maybe Andrew Johnson could be a smoky…)

2 Likes

Two quick points:

I don’t know about mostly but Manafort worked extensively with the overthrown Russia-friendly Party of Regions, then went on to work for and owe millions to the russian oligarch Deripaska. A debt he offered to make right while working for free on Trump’s campaign. His lawyer’s failed redactions show that he was caught lying about sharing information from within the campaign.

Flynn was, among other things, caught lying about discussing US sanctions with the Russian ambassador.

If, and it is one of many ifs, there was any quid pro quo happening then sanctions relief would have been a significant component for the Russians.

Manafort’s partner Rick Gates testified that he (Manafort) pushed his client, the then Ukrianian president Viktor Yanukovych to align with the EU and away from Russia. That’s a very odd position to take for a supposed Kremlin stooge.

Yes, and ultimately, Mueller recommended no jail time for either of those porkies from Flynn.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if that comes out of the investigation

Sorry, but getting support during the election from foreigners is illegal. So there goes your argument.

Re: Manafort: I haven’t seen that testimony from Gates, though he was himself also caught lying to investigators about meetings involving Ukraine and Russia. Taken as true and taken as significant, it was before he got in massive debt to Deripaska, and thus was keen to pay off a man who would happily kill him and his family. Stooge would be too blunt a word, and too simple - the story of whatever happened with Manafort over his career is likely convoluted.

Re: Flynn: We weren’t talking about severity. I was responding to an omission. Though since you’ve raised it any punishment is likely to be mitigated by his co-operation.

I’m all for waiting and seeing, though the ledger charting the retreat through a long sequence of lies does not read well for Trump world.

Do you mean that blatant racist Andrew Jackson?

Unless he meant LBJ?? He wouldn’t be far off.

Nah, the Andrew Johnson who was Lincoln’s second VP and took over after Lincoln’s assassination, and used the high office to hamstring reconstruction and oppose black rights & citizenship at every turn and turn a big blind eye while the KKK and ex-confederates set up a rule of terror and Jim Crow laws that squandered the blood shed in the civil war and set up a regime based on racial inequality that would last until the Civil Rights movement and which still has echoes today.

2 Likes

LBJ was a very progressive President.
Was very pro Vietnam war, but did some very good things domestically.
I reckon you’re drawing a quite long bow to paint him as a racist.
In fact he did a lot to lessen racism in the US.

6 Likes

wut?

Points to Gryffindor for longest, most righteous and informative run on sentence today.

4 Likes

I think he has been more deliberative in cabinet and secretary positions to further his agenda.

Your torpedo is a bit of a dud.
If the crooks in the campaign teamed up with American crooks then it would be sleazy as you say (except for hacking etc which is illegal). However, it is illegal to team up with foreign government.

@FromOutside50 congratulations on the birth of your kid btw

4 Likes

Guys, there’s actually already a wall (well, maybe a more a fence, that runs along the us mexico border. Just sayin…

1 Like

Yep, and I’ve read that the parts where there isn’t some form of wall/fence, it is electronically monitored.