Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

I wouldn’t trust Seth Abramson’s analysis to have any weight to it.

Imo his tweet storms are candy, not food,

He’s been very thorough, very consistent and reasonably constrained for 2 years. Lawfare blog is the best pure legal analysis of all of this, but Abramson is a pretty good source of analysis.

And really he was being generous to Donald, but they will shred him nonetheless.

Absolute fealty is demanded.

Think of Don McGahn - his refusal to follow Trump’s direct requests/orders probably saved the president from his own awful impulses re:obstruction. He, together with the Senate Leader, was also responsible for one of the few things the admin can hang its hat on - the confirmation of numerous judges. He is now being attacked by Team Trump, and his law firm has been removed from a lucrative contract with the campaign, just because he dared to be honest with the investigation. Such is the reward for service. Retribution against a witness.

1 Like

Spot on bobo. Unless you are family he will take you down in the end.

McGahn knee what was legal and what wasn’t. Even Cory Lewendowski didn’t want to touch some of Trump’s requests, passing then off to underlings.

Trump was smart enough to take his lead from Roy Cohn and the mob though. Always use a cut out.

1 Like

He’s not in the Claude Taylor/Louise Mensch/Eric Garland league of monetised cray cray, but I am exceedingly wary and stay clear of all the super-threaders unless there is something in their expertise/background that lends weight and credibility to what they are saying. Imho I think Abramson is way out over his skis. Of course, that is with only a peripheral awareness of him due to the aforementioned choice, so take it for what it is worth. Also my expertise is zero - so you have to factor that in.

Lawfare blog is good.

1 Like

Happy to agree to disagree on Abramson. Very little of what he had said has failed to come to pass.

He did expect the investigation to continue on for quite a while longer than it did. I think that is reasonably fair, it seems plenty of lines of investigation has been pushed out to other departments.

I think it must be said, the mainstream media has largely gotten this right in the end (except for Fox). Sure there are a few people at the edges who went down some paths far to far but in the whole most of what is in the report was reported as is by one of the major outlets.

They were pretty bad during the election period and still need to lift their game further but the lack of surprise in the horrors of this report is basically because it’s all been reported already.

1 Like

7 Likes

And, on a far more serious level:

Their family and friends are as likely to be as dumb as they are, so that is a little bit understandable.

3 Likes

There are multiple people working in my office who no longer speak to close family members who voted for Trump. One of them stopped after an Aunt blamed last year’s deadly California fires not on climate change but on punishment for California voting Democrat.

The Aunt is Californian and lives here. :no_mouth:

2 Likes

They have not yet found a cure for stupid.

5 Likes

Not to mention that a lot of Trump supported are the black sheep of their families. And a handful of Trump supporters have actually murdered a family member.

This happens anytime someone gets sucked into a cult, which Trump is, leader of a cult.

Not just stupid people. Giuliani is apparently unrecognizable to his old friends. It will be very hard and take a long time to undo this. Fundamentalists of any persuasion are immune to views that contradict their beliefs. Plenty of studies showing that contrary evidence leads to a doubling down.

1 Like

You can add Bill Barr to that cult.

1 Like

Cults also tend to attract people who don’t feel apart of a broader community, which can help explain a lot of the Trumpists who are outside the Trump territories. The internet provides an avenue for these isolated individuals to connect with others who share their grievances, a similar dynamic exists with the western recruits of ISIS.

2 Likes

We are living in the golden age of dumbocracy.

1 Like

The electorate has never been smarter than it is today. And that is apart of the problem. It is more of a Willful Idiocracy, where people should know better but can’t admit it. Cognitive dissonance increases with a persons level of ‘intelligence’.

Yes, but the problems we are having now are due to the rise of politicians who deliberately pander to the stupid in the electorate. Hence, the "rule of the dumb’.

Politics is like football. A team may have the worst players, worst facilities, worst coach and no hope, but still Carlton supporters don’t switch sides. Even if the opposition is far superior, a Carlton supporter is stubborn and will not switch teams.

American politics is becoming more and more entrenched in party loyalty. Very few swing seats. Very few swing states. Very few swing voters. Primary elections are where most candidates get replaced, once a party has selected their candidate they more than likely have an easy win in a safe seat.

The modern election is decided on enthusiasm. If Carlton suddenly became good, I know this is nauseating to imagine, the dormant Carlton supporters would re-emerge and turn out to the footy in droves. Yuck…

This thread has reached rock bottom, talking about FCFC. Time to close the thread before we are all stained by it.

4 Likes