Manchester Terrorist Attack

No problems about the difference in the way we think or believe, I just thought your point was an interesting one to make.

I agree with the last sentence. Going by his family I suspect it had more to do with how he was raised and the utter conflict that brought internally.

Disagree, the young do not make that correlation at all. It is given to them by the radical Imams and leaders who push that thought very, very strongly. They take advantage of the passion of youth where there is only black and white and they use that to incite these youth into violence as a resolution to whatever injustice they perceive.

Don;t make what correlation? I’m saying it’s very easy to use the koran and mohammeds life to justify terror, especially when it’s coming from a respected imam or the like and it’s a young disgruntled kid. That’s how it is pushed, if the ‘only in war settings’ argument is used, the radical imam can throw back at them ‘but we are in a state of war’. Otherwise they can use some of mohammeds own acts as justification that what they are doing is the right thing for the cause.

No TripEss, you are a ■■■■■■■■ because you pull one small part out of a much longer piece and use it to create angst; and you offer nothing yourself.

And in reality, it would hamper a mad terrorists goal if his targets were spread out and not in a lump of humanity waiting to be massacred. Sometimes leaving the G after a game is chaos and I get surprised people do not get hurt in the crush. There is very little in terms of crowd control.

1 Like

I’m no historian but from what I understand the Koran was first used to justify acts of terror (particularly suicide bombings) by the Hezbollah which is relatively recent history

What was the basis for the Crusades then? That, and the Spanish Inquisition, are the kernels of a lot of the historic hostility.

Yes it is.
Casselden Place, 2 Lonsdale St, Situated over the City Loop. 2005. Roughly 1200 Public servants, would have been quite a coup. My wife was working in Aged Care or whatever it was called by the current Minister, there were a lot of worried women. Have a good look at the security in the building now.
Funny thing, after a week the authorities decided to change the story to his secondary target, the MCG, you know the MCG, it’s the same building you get searched in every time you go to the football

A ratbags idea but that didn’t help me dealing with my wife.

Better to use the term lunatic.

Better you pop over to the ISIS website, have a good look and get back to me with an explanation of the sort of mentality that trains 3yo toddler to shoot a tied up prisoner in the 6 times, or 8 -12yo’s to slit throats, shoot or behead tied up prisoners.

Under Sahria you are only given three choices.
Convert
Pay tax.
Become a prisoner.
Or die.

And you are already paying Halal tax.

Really? Show me.

Is that why an 8yo girl who was shredded by schrapnel was referred to by ISIS as, and I quote, A Crusader.

If you are apologising for that action you are as sick as they are.

that’s a fair stretch from what he said.

1 Like

You’ve misinterpreted Bullies point that current extremists are incorrectly finding justification via koranic passages.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, a busload of coptic christians have just been slaughtered by “gunmen” in Egypt.

The world is totally farked up.

2 Likes

The words he used were:
“The actual problem is that all the violent lines in the Koran are meant to be applied to a war setting”

Sorry, I hadn’t realised that a concert for children was a war setting.

Oh ffs.

You are right, you are no historian.

You might look up the history of Muhammad Ali ,Gordon of Khartoum and the Mahdi and the subsequent Kalifiya that dominated Sudan for much of the 19th century . You could argue that is still resonating now with the problems in Sudan.

That’s the point.

2 Likes

The cause of these problems is angry, intolerant, blinkered, hateful, insecure, tribal extremists, hell-bent on maintaining their power base. You find people with these attitudes all over the world. There are a handful on this site. And plenty in the White House too. Hate breeds hate. It marginalises moderates and escalates into to open conflict. Is that what you want? A Bannon-esque, cleansing, religious war? 'Cos I’m looking for other solutions in what you are posting and struggling to see anything else.

3 Likes

Not so long ago there were horrific ethnic cleansing efforts in the Balkans, justified on religious grounds, but mainly for territory in Kosovo and Bosnia… The Srebenica massacres were the largest since the Holocaust… They were not driven by Muslims , but against Muslim communities. Australia was among the many countries that gave sanctuary to Kosovar Muslims.
There are international norms and measures to address actions by state actors, harder to coordinate international actions for non-state actors, particularly when there are religious rifts between Muslim countries. Trump was wrong to place the primary blame on Iran for tolerating non-State terrorism. Is there evidence of Iran support for ISIS?
. What measures does Saudi Arabia have in place to combat ISIS and to adddress the number of Saudis fighting with ISIS?

1 Like

On the contrary. Iran is fighting ISIS and the Saudis are funding ISIS. And Trump is selling $110bn worth of arms the the Saudis while bad-mouthing Iran - find the sense in that.

1 Like