Marriage is totally Gay

did you not hear the catholic church say they would fire any employee who is gay and got married. no questions asked.
I call your comment “from one direction” bullshit.
Happy to introduce you to people who have been fired for being gay (i have), been jailed for being gay, been bashed for being gay and people who know people who have suicided for being gay. Thats what bullying does to you. Setting up a stall or the woman who has gained media traction is not being bullied. they can continue to live hassle and discrimination free. Their problem was temporary.
I am afraid to walk down the street and hold my husband of 17.5 years hand for fear of being attacked.
AFL house wasn’t given a bomb threat today from the yes voters.
I have never met you but I invite you for a cuppa.

15 Likes

While I agree with your sentiment about levels of pain and suffering I think it is unhelpful to make a statement that no voters don’t suffer. Some have, that’s a reality. The level/length of pain and suffering is not comparable though and i would agree with that.

I also think Trip is a little off centre by stating that all the hatred is one way, that is simply not true. The levels of hatred from certain groups on both sides of the issue is horrific. The sustained level of hatred directed at gays has been a lot longer in duration in our current era and sadly driven by many religious groups.

While i may not lean towards homosexuality (not in practice I mean in my worldview) I do not believe in treating people who do any different to how I would treat anyone else and I am uncertain why people do (well, yes I know some of why but I don’t get why, if that makes any sense?). To me as the old saying goes “all men (people) are equal”. No one is more special, better, greater, more advanced, etc than me and I should treat them with respect and dignity, regardless of whatever personal beliefs I might hold (not always easy to do, as Blitz shows us…sorry Wim).

bit late to the party, but i had to laugh last night on the news, a christian lobby group saying sport has no place in politics.

I was laughing and got angry at the irony of a religious nut saying a particular body has no right to interefere in politics essentialy, despite the fact religion across all walks of life having meddled in politics and still does to their own benefit and agenda.

Funny the different reactions hey.
a chick gets fired for problaiming you are allowed to say no.

the afl comes out in support, and they get bomb threats, violence threats, and angry reliigious nuts ringing up about how they are the devil and blah blah.

Sums up Religion right there. the equal root of all evil, along with money, another thing religion sullied.

3 Likes

The notion that all of the above will stop if SSM is legalised is laughably simple.

I wouldn’t be so certain about where the bomb threats came from either. Let’s not forget that poster that was mocked up by YES voters to make NO look bad.

I wouldn’t be so sure it didn’t come from you.

1 Like

No its not laughable, its probable. Just as it was before this sham of a survey was thrust on LGBTI people We didn’t ask for this survey. The no side did. So they could throw enough mud that some sticks.
We are the ones talking about the actual question. They are talking about red herrings (as you are) such as gender, kids and religious freedom.
I’m sorry but you sadly aren’ti interested in a real conversation and you haven’t met any of the Yes voters that I am referring to. Happy to introduce you.
Let me just say this. You may vote no this time, you may win. But this will not go away and you will have to listen to these arguments and see our faces until we are equal. If you want it to go away vote yes.
There is no war between anyone. Just a desire for equality.

14 Likes

The claim that no voters are victims as a result of the SSM marriage survey is beyond laughable - reminds me of Trump claiming that there were ‘bad dudes’ on both sides during the Charlottesville neo nazi rallies.

5 Likes

I thought Trip said earlier he was voting yes?

Only lefty’s vote yes apparently.

1 Like

I think he is doing a protest no vote. He is the real victim in all this because he doesn’t being told what to think.

By the way I have seen a lot of Abbott and Bernardi spruiking the no vote so would challenge Trips assertion about the yes vote dominating airwaves.

2 Likes

My only argument is there is no valid reason for a no vote. I got no replies.

4 Likes

According to Buzzfeed, an audit conducted by Streem revealed that No got four more times media coverage than Yes in the period 10-17 September.

2 Likes

Ah, the exception that proves the rule.

2 Likes

Bomberjase

Don’t waste any more of your time responding to Trip. He doesn’t care that you’re a real person who is actually affected by this issue. He doesn’t even care about the issue at all. He’s a troll. A keyboard warrior. He’s only here for the fight. You will never convince him to see sense, change his view, or have an ounce of human compassion.

Take a deep breath, accept that some people are irredeemable and not worth your time, and just ignore him.

CC: Dingus, Wim, everyone else in this thread

11 Likes

Safe schools already exists.

What a poor argument to link it to SSM.

will do, sorry its getting to me more than i realised.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find the common denominator is people rather than religion DKP, religion is just another avenue people can use for their own agendas/needs/ambition etc.
We’re the ones that manage to find a way to screw things up, it’s no so much the things themselves.

1 Like

I was involved in the roll out of the pilot of the Safe Schools Program about 10 years ago, we received no complaints about it from participants or their families, but a church elder who was on this public school’s council made the principal back down on his support for the program (he was in the same church and it made his position unsustainable on a couple of levels).

No complaints from actual families of students, but the conservative minority were able to veto it.

We had another program at another school where the school council had some doubts, but instead of vetoing it, they surveyed the parents of the school who gave the program overwhelming support. The program could continue because the community got a say, and they could see the need for it.

Conservative Christians are in my experience the ones who go out of their way to undermine progressive health education programs which the mainstream are happy with, but because they seem to be disproportionately represented in positions of power and influence, they get to veto things they don’t agree with, even when the majority (including many Christians) agree and support the programs.

The conservative minority can be very loud and strident and create an illusion they represent a lot more people than they actually do. They also can command the media with their sensationalist claims against things they disagree with.

5 Likes

The torrent of vile abuse the YES campaigners send to the NO lot is…

Oh wait…

What about Eric “Gays can convert” Abetz?

2 Likes