Marriage is totally Gay

Honestly, the fact that they did this survey in the first place has abrogated the rights of MPs to make their own decision. Every MP should vote according to how their electorate (or state) voted. They wanted the people to have their say - they’ve now had it, and it should be reflected in the parliamentary vote.

And I live in Kevin Andrews’ seat. 57% yes. Not resounding but better than I was hoping for. I hate that man.

5 Likes

Is the line Labor should be running hard but they won’t because, well, I don’t know…fear that in the future they’ll be held accountable too?

How good are gay weddings going to be!

4 Likes

In seats that has massive “No” numbers is it the sitting members job to tow the party line or follow the wishes of his constituents?
Always a tough one, for me they should follow the wishes of the majority even if it is at odds with their own area and would most probably lead to them being thrown out next election

No I reckon the issue is much deeper than that.

Where I grew up has the lowest in Victoria at 43% YES, and while I should celebrate that overall celebrate, I get grumpy that those with less are the ones who begrudge the rights of others.

RIP : Free Speech.

Faaaabulous!

1 Like

You’re not allowed to say that.

6 Likes

Lyle Shelton was on Jon Faine’s program just before noon.

He kept saying…but, but, but, Paterson’s bill…and Faine kept saying no, no, no, Paterson’s bill has been rejected (to Shelton’s feeble bs).

There should be one and only one exemption in the law.

That a church should be able to refuse a gay couple from marrying them

Although why someone would want to go to a place that hates them for their big day…beats me (not literally…I’m not into that despite my Christian Brothers education). The only reason would be direct provocation, like a woman going to an announced Right to Life doctor to get an abortion.

Hasn’t Paterson got a scone that just needs to be punched? Frequently.

1 Like

Better than the divorces

They’re generally pretty happy to turn a blind eye to marrying people when only one person meets the old “actually believes in God” requirement, otherwise they’d barely do any business at all.

That might be a requirement in RCC but in most Protestant churches it isn’t.

Interesting Shorten’s position and the majority of electorates voting NO are ALP.

The only reasonable debate on this, goes along the lines of…

No voter: yes I know you have to be an a-hole to to vote against giving all people the equal right to marry whomever they wish (as long as the other agrees). But it’s my right to be an a-hole, so I’m going to vote against it.

It’s not surprising, but still very sad, that there are so many a-holes in this country.

Even sadder (for me) that my dad is one of them.

Not only that, if you say anything about it you’re being an ■■■■■■■■ and that’s not fair. That’s their shtick.

Yes, I certainly know what you’re talking about. I’m from the safest seat in the country and there’s plenty of that sentiment going on there. I was quite surprised that it got as high as 55% yes there. Would be interested to see the participation rate. Is there a breakdown for that per electorate?

Yep - there is. What electorate?

Productivity at zero today as I trawl pro-no Facebook pages for the LOLs. There are some seriously messed up people out there.

And shoutout to @bomberjase - hope you’re having a great day to compensate for the past few months of crap.

7 Likes