MATCH REVIEW: Dons > Pies

Mum and dad, please stop fighting, you’re ruining my birthday

13 Likes

I agree in a sense. If a bloke has a ruptured spleen, you say he’s got a two week niggle. If your full back concedes 8 goals, you say he’ll have a look at it during the week and do what needs to be done.

When you lose to the bottom team, at home, a man up, without their best player, having wasted a match winning lead two weeks straight, you probably don’t say you played “good footy”.

Conceded.

But it was more accurate than saying we played “good footy”.

You’d hope not.

I went along the the game yesterday and watched the replay this morning.
As a supporter it was a pretty exciting game, at least until it was all over in the 4th.
Pies snagged a couple early without being dominant then we piled on 5 straight to see us 15pts up at the first break. Was nice to see Tippa steady and kick the first goal, he had a bit of pressure on him and slotted it no worries. TBC kicked a couple of straight ones too, very handy and from then on it was ours to lose.
The 2nd qtr saw us extend our lead, sportsbet paid out all head to head bets when we went 4 goals up but there wasnt a relaxed Bomber butt cheek at the ground due to, well, reasons. The pies hurt us on the rebound but our defense was pretty solid and Raz kicked a couple to settle the nerves, one of them off the back of a masterful run by McGrath, 3 bounces off half back through the centre square before a 10m kick to Zerret who drilled it to Raz 15 out. McG just keeps ticking boxes in his first year and has quickly earnt the respect of teammates, supporters and before long opposing players.
3rd quarter things got a bit crazy when Greenwood went full thug and ironed out the smallest player on the ground with his running elbow. The bombers flew the flag but it seemed they lost their focus as they gave away a few frees and the pies kicked 3 straight to bring the margin back to 15pts, before we got one over the back to Raz who got his 4th, and then Joedan entered the game with his first major. I must mention that it was pretty frantic footy to this point, the bombers moving the ball ont with lightning speed as is their usual method and while their skills let them down on plenty of occasions leading to turnovers they were generally cleaner and smarter than the pies who just couldn’t control the game at any stage.
The 4th qtr was interesting, in that the margin was only around 21 points and the bomber faithful were still waiting to see if the team would hold on. It was immediately apparent that the bombers intended to keep playing fast footy, regardless of whether their legs could keep up. Zerret who had resumed play late in the 3rd emerged from the first bounce with the ball and after a scintillating run, drilled it home from inside the centre square, the ball bouncing twice and being shepherded by Green on it’s journey, 25 seconds having passed in the qtr. This goal settled the bombers and their fans who could see that Zerret was not only ok, but had won the battle and the could all get on with playing footy. A 5th goal to Raz, Colyer chiming in and Joedan with his 2nd saw us go 36 pts up and the game was, surely, for most teams, beyond doubt. It was a pretty scrappy affair from then on, the pies getting a couple back, the bombers intent to kick it long to tired teammates and not afraid to turn it over. Baguley was excellent during this period (he was great the whole game but really stood up here) as was Parish, and Tippa was everywhere but not quite getting the ball and dominating.
In any case it was a great game to witness and while there are better sides to beat, this was an important step in our comeback and players will still be hungry to improve.

17 Likes

True that. I feel he brain farted in the interview

2 Likes

Too much water not enough meat. Tasteless.

MEAT

5 Likes

Joke!

Lots of people talking about how terrible Collingwood were. Our big test comes next week.

Well that’s no good but I’m not exactly struggling to contain my tear ducts

You’re the epitome of only ever focussing on the positives, at the expense of critical analysis.
you’ve done it for 12 years on here, you sit on here and bag anyone who doesn’t :" focus on the positives" like you do.

out of curiosity, where exactly has that 12 years of “focussing solely on the positive” gotten us ?

Maybe if more people at the club, looked beyond just the positives, some of the lingering problems may get, you know actually fixed.
then we wouldn’t have to, at best keep looking back after the first week of finals and living on the hope “well there were plently of positives this season”, we’ll be great next year :roll_eyes:

Perhaps. Maybe he could have said it differently, but I can also see why he wanted to be as positive as possible straight after a win.

Except the 7 goal streak that absolutely made them play the way we wanted

1 Like

I’d reckon their his/their performance against Collingwood confirms this.

You could infer that.

You could also infer that their performance against Brisbane confirms they were happy with their performance against Sydney.

2 Likes

Don’t impose your standards on me, man!

Also, I don’t regard this as a whinge. I think it’s worth discussing if the players genuinely thought they played well.

2 Likes

Only if you’re directly following your opponent who runs across the mark themselves. Aside from that it’s a been a rule as long as I can remember.

1 Like

Ironically about the only time Grimes decided not to have a sit down when he got near th footy

1 Like

Probably the most courageous thing he has ever done and got knocked out for it, so much irony.

Normally he just ducks his head around the field.