Match review. Hawks victim 1

fk me. that is all time :smile:

I was watching the replay and loved seeing Clarko’s reaction start of 4th quarter. Him and his coaching team hadn’t even got to the coaching box, Hepp had kicked a goal. His puzzled look when he realised it was priceless.

10 Likes

I don’t think he actually gave away any frees in the actual ruck contest which was good to see. Most of the frees where for been dare I say it to physical when tackling, and of lot of them where pretty soft. His attack on the ball and man was great, and we want him to continue to do that, just needs to be a little less clumsy.

4 Likes

Finally home & have read all the posts - fantastic! One of the best days/nights ever! Beyond expectations. So proud of them all! Still smiling. Can’t wait to watch the boys next game. Go Bombers!!

3 Likes

So proud of the team. I have been dragging my family along to matches for several years and joined them all as members to show solidarity in tough times, and Saturday night was the pay off.

My soccer loving son finally couldn’t contain his enjoyment of the game and at last is excited by Aussie Rules and the EFC.

My wife and daughter have been dutifully coming to some games and were hanging tough with the team, but to see them push through and dominate against the Hawks, was a great thing. They were thrilled for the boys too.

All the best to the boys for the Brisbane game, but looking forward to taking the crew to see us bury Carlton (we hope).

19 Likes

He’s never going to be able to sneak up on anyone, that’s for sure.

5 Likes

Yup and the c7 replay didn’t do justice on how loud that roar was.

I was on the stadium, was spine chilling noise.

5 Likes

Bandage on head

Loved being there watching the returning players enjoying their footy and seeing all of them working as a team.

The game was awesome. The crowd was awesome. Winning was priceless!

Go Bombers!!!

3 Likes

Not to put a damper on things in here but, Hawks will struggle to play finals this year.

2 Likes

as I said, lid on, didn’t beat much.

Crows in a few weeks will be a better indication of where we are at.

Regardless it was a great win and a great night.

The biggest takeaway for mine was that our forward line, with the help of significantly improved ball movement, I’d very dangerous

4 Likes

yep. Crows and Pies in the next month will be big tests. One you wouldn’t expect to win and one we should be winning if we are to make finals.

Should be winning Anzac day though I’m not holding my breath.

Crows will be a pretty tough assignment over there this year. They were very impressive yesterday. It’s not the end of the world if we lose that

2 Likes

Hey everyone, need some help here.

I’m a Telstra mobile customer with the AFL App (both on my phone and tablet).

I’ve logged into the AFL website to watch the replay and whilst it recognised my Telstra ID, it says I need to pay for a Live Pass.

As a Telstra customer am I able to watch replays on my PC via the AFL website?

1 Like

Marky, it should ask if you are a Telstra customer when you first open the app. After that you shouldn’t have any issues. If it doesn’t, delete it from your phone/tablet, re-install and make sure when you first open it that you confirm you are a Telstra customer.

2 Likes

I agree that most likely, in review, beating Hawks this season won’t be seen as massive ‘on field’ but that wasn’t what was special about this win for me. I think it would have been very easy for the moment to get the better of them. When their legs got heavy in the second I was guilty of thinking they had spent all the petrol tickets in that first ten minutes when they were clearly all running on pure adrenaline.

What was special (irrespective of opponent strength) was that they took all that excitement, pressure and build up and worked through the tough times. The fact that we have ‘found’ a forward line is not a fluke, we have now seen this ability to score across the entire preseason and first round. The evidence is there that Raz, Green, Walla and resting mids will all create pressure and goal opportunities. We have seen that JD has emerged as a genuine star forward in this league and Hooker is a very special player and there is no reason to believe he won’t become a brilliant forward in time.

So for mine it wasn’t the Hawks we were beating it was the Hawks AND everything else. The mind games, the doubts, the fear, the expectations and the fact that this was the first time that this team had run onto the park together, ever. To watch the chemistry around the stoppages between Heppell, Parish, Watson and Zerrett was electric especially when they have NEVER played a proper game together. That was special.

Watching the replay gave me chills and better perspective. We were in charge for most of the game, the extreme nervousness that I felt at the time seems unfounded when you watch how in control we were for the last 40 minutes of play. I then realised I had sat through the fourth quarter waiting, assuming that somehow the Hawks would find a way to steal it. Expecting us to start missing every shot on goal in a comedy of errors. Kind of waiting for Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge and Rioli to somehow pull the ball out of their ■■■ and score four goals in the space of two minutes from nothing. I was listening for the whistle fest that would signal “free kick hawthorn” was coming to save the day. As shameful as it sounds, I was waiting for a disaster that never came.

Instead I watched as the umpires let the play roll on with barely an impact on the result. I watched as the toothless tiger of their midfield plodded around. I watched as we slammed through goals from impossible angles and 50+m away. I watched as the midfielders controlled the clock with precise, accurate passing by foot and hand. I watched and we calmly, clinically and professionally iced the game and started with an impressive, by the numbers win.

That is why I think this game will be remembered and be the launching pad to something special. i don’t see us letting it go next week. I don’t think THAT essendon team is coming back. I think this team is harder both physically and mentally than that. I think our list is strong and the best 22 is truly a “best” 22. I think we have a great mix of talls AND smalls. I think our forwardline actually looks potent for the first time in years but it contains an element of defence as well. I am full lid off and it may haunt me, but I really think this team could achieve something special if they keep the work up.

31 Likes

If you bought your subscription through your mobile device rather than your PC you can’t access replays on the PC. I was furious when I discovered this and was promised it would be fixed by the regular season. I haven’t tested it since.

There may be similar issues with the telstra subscription

1 Like

Could you elaborate on that?

5 Likes

I know… you miss the ignore function.