Match Review Thread: Bad News Bears def Worse News Bombers

This can be a toxic place sometimes, people saying we're no good, we'll be no good next year, no good players. A week ago we were ready to say top 8 was a lock. A team of kids is gonna have off days and as bad as we were today if we kick straight we still probably win. More than anything I feel we lacked a bit of experience /leadership out there today, and maybe the outs of Gwilt and Bird were more important than we realised. People have been having a crack at just about everyone today, calling for blokes like McKenna and Gleeson to be dropped permanently etc, when cmon they are still so young and have hardly any experience around them, especially gleeson today he played well overall I hope we all take a deep breath and let the dust settle before going off at the team

That is half the problem with people on here.

Whoever thought that or thinks that has rocks in their head.

We will improve next year and I am excited by our youth and following our rise up the ladder again but to think we will jump so many teams who are decent footy teams and play finals next year, is absolutely absurd.

Why not? Based on the last two weeks we would expect wins against saints and tigers next year, and saints especially would be thinking top 8 next season

It’s all about how well they reintegration, if they settle back in perfectly we should expect top 8

Our % went up again.

just too many passengers, and im genuinely surprised we didnt lose by at least 10 goals

demps, zaharakis, dea, mckenna, cooney, mckernan and brown all may as well not have played

i am just so disappointed with zaharakis… he is a fkg garbage footballer, tag or no tag, mates or no mates, fk it, he is garbage and needs to play vfl, play bird in his spot, at least he has a dip… its stand up or fk off time for him imo, out of contract at the end of next year and will need to show something or hes traded

its ■■■■ though, the one game where most of the youngsters play well, lav looked dangerous, langford classy, zach merrett as always, parish tough if a bit unrefined and gleeson/ hams good without being great, but then the senior players just let you down

that game was there for the taking imo, we broke in the 3rd with misses and got rolled over in the last

Dea was good I thought, not his fault the ball was coming in on a silver platter all afternoon

I’m going to try and be reserved so I don’t get banned so here goes.

I don’t know what’s worse, believing we might actually have put in an effort in today’s game or still giving a ■■■■ about the team and more broadly the club. We as supporters and also the players have put up with so much ■■■■ that we got so screwed over by the club and the AFL and this is the thanks we get. Today we could have avoided the spoon, we were playing a team who hates their coach and have lost their last 12 matches in much much worse fashion than us. And we dish up that performance?

We have been ■■■■ at goakicking since the end of Lloyd’s career and we still have not addressed this issue 8-10 years later. Yeah we have some kids coming through but a good team isn’t measured by its top 5 or 6 it’s their 18-24 on the list and ours is rubbish now and will barely improve next year. Cooney, dempsey and a couple of others should be walked out the door immediately. Zaka, well I said he should have been traded last year to get something for him, now we’ll get ■■■■ all. We lambasted and laughed at other players from the opposition for being downhill skiers when we had one right under our nose the whole time. Too bad the other players weren’t scared of needles, might have saved us some heartache.

This club continues to find new ways to get to rock bottom. I really hope this is it but doubt it will be. We have no pride sand no passion anymore, we are a skeleton of our former selves.

Sure we have merret and parish and couple others but we are so far behind we need another 5 top 10 picks to get to a respectable level of competency.

Fark the AFL. They finally got what they wanted…a wooden spoon to Essendon. Did I already mention fark the AFL?

Sounds like a simple stupid question, but why isn’t anyone at Essendon a good set shot for goal?

NO ONE is a good set shot for goal, not one player. None of our players can you look at when they’re having a shot and think “Right we got one here”. Every single player on our list, is questionable in front of goal, no matter the angle, distance or ground.

Imagine a basketball side in the NBA that didn’t have the ability to shoot?

I wonder if we look so bad because I don’t think I like football anymore. Even when I watch the supposed good team the game is crap. The rolling mauls, the dropping the ball, confusing umpiring, the goal review.
I am just thinking maybe I don’t like the look of football anymore.
Today was awful, but I thought we looked awful against StKilda and Richmond and those were games we nearly won.

And not being able to kick straight to save our lives.

The coaching team really need to answer for that. Its been a problem for some time and its now getting worse. They can’t shirk their responsibilities. If it were another skill the team were universally bad at the coaching team would be expected to address it.

We really did kick ourselves out of that game. Regardless of all the other problems, and there were plenty, we could have won if we kicked straight. We're the only team in the league that kicks under 50%.

Also I don’t believe for a second we were tanking; every time we’ve come up against a team that’s taken us seriously they’ve beaten us handily. I think a lot of people have been misled by our closer games against teams that weren’t mentally prepared to play a game at 100% intensity.

Zaharakis needs to learn how to deal with a tag. He might not get tagged next year but in a big game if he’s playing well opposition coaches will know they can shut him down completely, and that means he’ll never be truly dangerous.

Gleeson’s up to three weeks in a row where he’s shirked a marking contest. I know he’s skinny, but he’s got to hit those contests as hard as he can.

Easy line to throw out there and means nothing, what you perceive isn’t always fact. Again if we had kicked straight we would have won today, we had far more inside 50’s despite being beaten in disposals which means our efficiency getting the ball in was better. We should have won going on stats alone.

Just so I’m clear, are you disputing my claim that we’re worse against bad teams, or that we weren’t tanking?

Yes our set shot goal kicking is very ordinary, yes it is a facet of the players game that can be fixed, but it would not happen over night. all players would have had the same set up for multiply years, players also have technique issues with their kicking styles, these two issues would be ingrained in the players subconscious and could take six to twelve months to change. Let’s take JD, the first of his problems, is that his run into a set shot is far to long, next his approach is not aligned properly (should run at the centre of the goal), thus when he kicks the ball he naturally brings his leg across the ball instead of through the ball and finally his ball drop is to high, which directly effects what position the ball is in, when he makes connection. All of these things are pretty easy to fix, but as JD has probably done since he was very young, it would take a considerable amount of time for him to be comfortable and confident with.

Sounds like a simple stupid question, but why isn't anyone at Essendon a good set shot for goal?

NO ONE is a good set shot for goal, not one player. None of our players can you look at when they’re having a shot and think “Right we got one here”. Every single player on our list, is questionable in front of goal, no matter the angle, distance or ground.

So teams will start using the Hack-a-Shaq approach on us?

Peak essington coming up.

called it.

Lowest point in the clubs history in my era. Started with poor selections yet again

…and continued with abysmal coaching along with very poor efforts from the majority of players…

Sounds like a simple stupid question, but why isn't anyone at Essendon a good set shot for goal?

Laverde

Laverde

And Langford.

But in rockys defence they have only been at the club for 2 years, we’ll get rid of their accurate kicking soon enough.

Yes our set shot goal kicking is very ordinary, yes it is a facet of the players game that can be fixed, but it would not happen over night. all players would have had the same set up for multiply years, players also have technique issues with their kicking styles, these two issues would be ingrained in the players subconscious and could take six to twelve months to change. Let's take JD, the first of his problems, is that his run into a set shot is far to long, next his approach is not aligned properly (should run at the centre of the goal), thus when he kicks the ball he naturally brings his leg across the ball instead of through the ball and finally his ball drop is to high, which directly effects what position the ball is in, when he makes connection. All of these things are pretty easy to fix, but as JD has probably done since he was very young, it would take a considerable amount of time for him to be comfortable and confident with.

If there is that much wrong with his goal kicking why are we playing him as a forward?

Yes our set shot goal kicking is very ordinary, yes it is a facet of the players game that can be fixed, but it would not happen over night. all players would have had the same set up for multiply years, players also have technique issues with their kicking styles, these two issues would be ingrained in the players subconscious and could take six to twelve months to change. Let's take JD, the first of his problems, is that his run into a set shot is far to long, next his approach is not aligned properly (should run at the centre of the goal), thus when he kicks the ball he naturally brings his leg across the ball instead of through the ball and finally his ball drop is to high, which directly effects what position the ball is in, when he makes connection. All of these things are pretty easy to fix, but as JD has probably done since he was very young, it would take a considerable amount of time for him to be comfortable and confident with.

If there is that much wrong with his goal kicking why are we playing him as a forward?

No idea, don’t think he’s a deep forward, think he’d be a better CHF, his kicking on the move is far better and much different to his set shot set up.

Haven’t been as angry as this since we lost in fletchs 400th

If any of my post offends anyone i don’t give a fk

Our midfield is gash. We give up easy clearance after easy clearance

Zaka- take whatever we can get from a trade and quickly run the other way. Sick and tired of seeing his limp soft efforts. Has been at the club since 09 and still has the same deficiencies- soft as butter

Dempsey- please no more. Gives away stupid free’s and turns the ball over time after time.

Zerrett continues to go from strength to strength

Worsfold got out coached. Rich was destroying us off the HBF and nobody was within 30m of him

Brown- either has plays in the backline or he doesn’t play. The 2 set shots he missed which were about 25m out was pathetic. No point playing as a forward if you cant kick straight.

After connors miss in the 3rd the team just gave up.

Joe tried his best, but missed a sitter in the 2nd qtr which would of really brought the margin back

Francis looked good, really good.

Cant believe i am going to see my team finish last for the first time in my life. Soul crushing

Had our biggest crowd for a long time at etihad and we gave such a limp performance

With all the money the club has, any chance someone could actually pay to get a decent forward coach and goal kicking coach. Hayden Skipworth WTF

Mckernan- you complete and utter dud. No more.

Cooney- you were brought in as icing on the cake- you are not even good enough to be classed as the sugar part of the icing.

Jayden Laverde says hi

I’m frustrated but not as filthy as many others seem to be on here.

We’re our own worst enemy - you can’t underestimate how deflating it is when you control the play but don’t get reward for effort, only to have the opposition make the most of fewer chances at the other end. It saps the life out of you when it keeps happening over and over again and leads to more frustrated mistakes being made.

That’s not to excuse some exceptionally poor performances from blokes who should be better than that, though.

Goddard and Zerrett were our only leaders out there today - Cooney, Dempsey & Kelly were unsighted and too much was left to far too few. Kelly has been incredibly valuable for us this year but Cooney and Dempsey are way too erratic with their disposal for “outside” players.

I loved the effort of Parish and Langford in the midfield, Francis showed plenty of promise and I was really impressed by Fantasia’s willingness to never give up and work himself into the game, albeit too late to matter.

Bird will be a welcomed inclusion for next week, although it seems like it’s fairly slim pickings in the VFL so it’ll be interesting to see what other changes are made. I can’t even begin to explain how ready I am for the 2017 season to begin.

That was worth getting up at 5am for