Match Review Thread - Ben "bad boy" Ainsworth come on down!

Ok, so worsfold and bolton have been in the job for the same amount of time and no matter what else you think... woosha has probably had a more skilfull list to choose from.

You can see FC’s identity growing, you can see the plan - even if they don’t have the skill or talent yet.

What, after 9 games played thus far, do you believe our style is under Woosha? Right now I think you could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers and that is the key to half the problem. To that end, just like last week, I am not blaming the coach singular… but rather attempting to understand what we are hoping to achieve this season.

My goal wasn’t win/loss but I did want to see the beginning of our future. I wanted to be confident in how we planned to address our well known and long term forward issues. I wanted to see our plan for defensive pressure and spread (web/cluster/press/flood) and begin to understand how we would stamp ourselves on this competition for the next ten years.

Right now I feel disappointed because we don’t appear to be learning anything or improving in any manner. We truly are treading water with some fanciful dream that we get ‘12’ superstars back next year and all will be right again. I hope Woosha has the strength to pull this ship around and face reality.

My god

Listed guys like Ashby and Edwards seriously should give it away if they can't get game.

Agree especially Edwards, into his 4th or 5th AFL year and can’t even break into a team with 12 players missing.

The best part of the day was when Bolts was losing his ■■■■ in the coaches box every time we scored a goal in the 3rd.

Ok, so worsfold and bolton have been in the job for the same amount of time and no matter what else you think... woosha has probably had a more skilfull list to choose from.

You can see FC’s identity growing, you can see the plan - even if they don’t have the skill or talent yet.

What, after 9 games played thus far, do you believe our style is under Woosha? Right now I think you could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers and that is the key to half the problem. To that end, just like last week, I am not blaming the coach singular… but rather attempting to understand what we are hoping to achieve this season.

My goal wasn’t win/loss but I did want to see the beginning of our future. I wanted to be confident in how we planned to address our well known and long term forward issues. I wanted to see our plan for defensive pressure and spread (web/cluster/press/flood) and begin to understand how we would stamp ourselves on this competition for the next ten years.

Right now I feel disappointed because we don’t appear to be learning anything or improving in any manner. We truly are treading water with some fanciful dream that we get ‘12’ superstars back next year and all will be right again. I hope Woosha has the strength to pull this ship around and face reality.

That is the biggest load of tripe.

Unbelievable

Dempsey was pleasing, Parish did some good things although is looking tired, Cooney played well and Fantasia was at times great. Hartley is fantastic, but could do with some tall help.

Carlton were terrible, yet if they’d kicked straight would probably have put us to the sword. I know the disposal into the F50 is poor - but so are the forwards. The worst was when Stokes kicked it to a 2:1 running over the 50m line toward goal. Our 2, their 1. Who marked it. Yes, Stokes kick was poor. But why the hell would BOTH forwards run together back toward goal??? Without watching the ball carrier either. So the Carlton defender could just pick it off as he watched the lazy kick.

How often were JD and Brown both in the same zone on the wing? They shouldn’t be near each other. IMO Grimley was the only one who seemed to act like a FF should. And what was with Browns slow decision making? The worse was when he got it on the wing, there were two 1 on 1s ahead with the EFC player in front. He just hesitates, waits, then kicked backward after they had flooded. I would drop Brown. Bring in Michaels to rotate defence/second ruck. Play Grimley FF and JD CHF.

Other unfortunate observations:

Leuy’s disposal has already been talked about.
Walla is now putting together a run of ordinary games
Sides have realised they shut down the two Z’s, you go a long way to shutting us down. They were still good, but not as good.
We need Fantasia forward and in the middle.
Stokes may be best available, but is he so much better than Jerrett/Kommer/Redman that it isn’t better to play them?
Did Polky play?
Goddards decline is worrying for the possible implications for Watson and Stanton. Clearly still best 22, but also clearly in decline.
Gleeson really needs a run in the seconds.
Dea is pretty ordinary.

Came in here looking to see Dempsey bashing.
Think he was one of the best today.

My god

So what is the plan for our forwardline/forward movement? Honestly… I just don’t get what the plan is. We move the ball quickly through the middle but that is counter productive as we don’t have stay at home forwards to kick to. We play 3 talls but never have a crumber near by?

If we are going to play ‘run and gun’ then we need to have fast, mobile forwards that stay anchored at F50 ready to lead at the ball carrier, or they need to kick it over the contest and have speedy forwards that run onto the ball.

Again it isn’t rocket science… but most teams have a preferred way of moving the ball and they then select players based around that game style.

I’m just trying to work out what the plan is and how we are selecting players to fit that plan and whether the players are capable of delivering on that plan.

Seriously I can't understand the doom and gloom on BB. 2017 add 8-10 automatic first 22 selections, 1 No. 1 Draft pick 1 or 2 additional top 20 picks, plus the No.1 pick in the pre-season draft and what have you got? with the experience Fantasia, Parish, Langford, Laverde (if can get fit) are getting plus finding players like Hartley, Tippa and Long, the toughest decision next year will be who to drop off the list.
That's it.

2 x Carltons goals in the last were turn overs by Kelly and Simpkin.

When I see a midfield with Zerrett, Langford and Parish in it, I just think development, development, development.

Hartley and Tippa are both finds.

Hopefully guys like Eades, Redman, and even Long, get an opportunity soon.

I don’t think we’ll win another game this year, but we will have ‘wins’ in the form of finding players that be part of the next period of success.

I think we will be a good side next yr.

One had the full list to work game plan on since November however. The other in January had a club on it’s knees in pain that he only knew for a few months himself, lose all its stars and having to get 12 players from around Australia while maintaining friendships with the suspended 12. So managing 57 players . Woosha has done a wonderful job.

Too predictable. So many times kicking down the line to fc

Who was playing on Thomas?

Positives
Brown went alright.
Hartley was pretty solid in defence.
Dempsey responded this week and was good.
Cooney is getting some form back in the middle and helping zaka &zerrett.

Was a pretty scratchy game. We had chances to win.

Making Daisy Thomas look like a good player.

Cue in rack.
Lights out.

Laterz.

I never thought I’d say this, but bring back Ambrose.

One had the full list to work game plan on since November however. The other in January had a club on it’s knees in pain that he only knew for a few months himself, lose all its stars and having to get 12 players from around Australia while maintaining friendships with the suspended 12. So managing 57 players . Woosha has done a wonderful job.

Hence why I clearly said that I am “not blaming the coach”

My first line was actually an attempt at sledging FC rather than trying to compare the pair.

So perhaps instead of blindly defending the coach for no apparent reason, how about you answer the question of exactly what our forward plan is? We have a 2-3 year history of really really really bad scoring and probably 8 years since we looked truly potent in attack. That is a long term problem and I’m just trying to find out exactly what the plan is long term to fix it.

Selections and positioning doesn’t seem to match movement style and vice versa.

Some crazy stuff went on over the past few years and my opinion is that we don’t have anything approaching a competitive AFL list. I am staggered that we beat Melbourne, were competitive against Geelong and could have won today. It’s more than I had hoped for. A few are old and slow and some not even that good, but I reckon they are having a decent crack.

Apart from the handful we knew could play, Hartley, Walla and Fanta will have careers. Parish and Langford will be better than good and I am excited about Francis and Redman. Next year we will have the number one pick and the majority if not all of our players back.

I am very much looking forward to the next few years.

Seriously I can't understand the doom and gloom on BB. 2017 add 8-10 automatic first 22 selections, 1 No. 1 Draft pick 1 or 2 additional top 20 picks, plus the No.1 pick in the pre-season draft and what have you got? with the experience Fantasia, Parish, Langford, Laverde (if can get fit) are getting plus finding players like Hartley, Tippa and Long, the toughest decision next year will be who to drop off the list.
That's it.

2 x Carltons goals in the last were turn overs by Kelly and Simpkin.

When I see a midfield with Zerrett, Langford and Parish in it, I just think development, development, development.

Hartley and Tippa are both finds.

Hopefully guys like Eades, Redman, and even Long, get an opportunity soon.

I don’t think we’ll win another game this year, but we will have ‘wins’ in the form of finding players that be part of the next period of success.

I think we will be a good side next yr.

Some crazy stuff went on over the past few years and my opinion is that we don’t have anything approaching a competitive AFL list. I am staggered that we beat Melbourne, were competitive against Geelong and could have won today. It’s more than I had hoped for. A few are old and slow and some not even that good, but I reckon they are having a decent crack.

Apart from the handful we knew could play, Hartley, Walla and Fanta will have careers. Parish and Langford will be better than good and I am excited about Francis and Redman. Next year we will have the number one pick and the majority if not all of our players back.

I am very much looking forward to the next few years.

I would agree with all that. I actually think our list is in great great shape. My question is not about the list but more about the game style and game plan.

Look at the team like Hawthorn (whom we are nowhere near)… they have a ‘plug and play’ type game plan that every single player knows. I realise they got smashed this week (for good reason) but the point remains the same. There is a consistency to their style. I am just searching (and it is very early days) to understand what our identity will be.

Hird/Thompson both favoured the slow, possession based game - which didn’t really work and the game has evolved from. It looks like we are trying to take it through the middle but that is falling apart not just because of skills but also because of the positioning and patterns of our forwards. Almost like our forward coach isn’t working with the midfield coach to create a cohesive plan.

We won’t score enough to win (irrespective of who comes back) unless we start to work out what our game plan is going to be.

Thanks Gach, at least some can see beyond the obvious. Worsfold is working out who will be there next year and who won’t. I can think of 10 that won’t. He is protecting and developing the young whilst finding out who on the list is capable of progressing themselves and the club and who isn’t. Saw Redman in the two’s last week and he will be a beauty, Long looked like his old man, why would you throw them to the wolves now? Both have big futures. Dempsey, Gleeson etc are being assessed and some will go missing at the end of the year. Love the way we are progressing, and I’m actually getting excited about 2017.

I never thought I'd say this, but bring back Ambrose.

YOU MONSTER!

Man, watching our “forward” line is just painful (even if that game was a hilarious cripple fight).

We really need Eades and Redman to be ready next year (which isn’t to say they won’t get a taste this year) and maybe even trade a pick for another natural forward if we can get one.