Match Review Thread - Well, at least we aren't Freo

Tippa is such a beautiful kick. Every time he kicks the ball it goes to our advatage.
Great to be sitting in the crowd and listening to StKilda supporters rave about him. Made my day.

Gwilt out

Not Gwilt’s fault Goddard and friends couldn’t hit 2m handballs in the midfield to send the ball rocketing back in his direction.

Competitive for a half then bang.

Brown may just be the full forward going forward. And why not…he has a very safe pair of hands and his goalkicking ability is decent.

Tippa was winning high praise from champions like Shannon Grant and Stan Alves on ABC Radio…winning major respect.

Enough of the Gwilt bashing. He’s been good this year and yesterday wasn’t his best.
All the defenders found it tough finding a target coming out of the backline yesterday. It’s all a bit over the top.

Gwilt is the best we have. Nothing better there.

Our centre square work was bizarrely incompetent today. One way traffic and we had to build virtually every forward move from defensive 50. It wasn't just that we couldnt clear the ball, we couldnt even force secondary bounces or pressure the takeaways. They just swanned away with the footy at will. And from what i could see we didnt really try to change things up.

Apart from this we did well.

Think today is bad? Our next month after dreamtime is

Freo - subi
Hawks
Gws
Eagles - subi

YIKES

Good thing after this block of games is the finish line will be in sight.will go very quickly to finally put this horrible season behind us and never be spoke of again.

Never spoken of again? Nah, plenty to still look forward to even now. Will be some ugly results but at some stage we (hopefully) will see Francis, Parish, Laverde, Langford, Tippa and the third year kids all on the park together. Find the positive aspects to dwell on and seek them out each week. Its the only way to do it this year.

I reckon Gwilt would be up there in the "most kicks ever smothered" stats. Hard day for the defenders but geez, he makes McPhee look decisive.

I’m sorry but just standing stock still and waving your arms at him is not leading. Our mob was so flat-footed it was laughable at times. Gwilt was looking for someone to at least give him something to kick to. It was non existent. Where was the run and carry from the 2nd half against the roos? Where was the take the game on?

I reckon Gwilt would be up there in the "most kicks ever smothered" stats. Hard day for the defenders but geez, he makes McPhee look decisive.

Love him but Stants

Hooker, Hurley, Hartley, Ambrose, Francis, Pears?

It will be hard for Gwilt to hold his place next year, if all of those guys are playing for us.

Gwilt was pretty much the next in if we had a full squad.

There’s also Dempsey and Hibberd to add and potentially Baguley if we ever sort ourselves up forward.

Sorry but 4 goals were kicked on Gwilt while he was ball watching. In the replay watch he’s on the wrong side of his man in relation to the ball more often than not. There’s even one play where you see him still watching the ball as it transfers from one side to the other and he DOES NOT MOVE then his man runs off and takes an easy mark and goals.

He does this often, terrible liability in the team then throw in that he panics under even the slightest amount of pressure

I reckon Gwilt would be up there in the “most kicks ever smothered” stats. Hard day for the defenders but geez, he makes McPhee look decisive.

The bad
• McKenna – Instinctiveness of last season has deserted him. Back to the 2s.
• Goddard - with the tide 100% St Kilda’s way in the 3rd quarter, BJ decides to stand 15m off his opponent on the wing (Riewoldt). Guess who did more damage? Also, with his 30 touches, he would’ve been close to best on ground…if he still played for St Kilda. Standards have dropped badly, even though he was good last week.
• Gwilt - Not a good defender and not good with ball in hand. I know Grima was out injured, but I’d rather concede some height or give Sam Michael a gig. Gwilty is cooked.
• Redman – Like him, but you can’t survive on 2 or 3 touches.
• Our lightweight midfield got destroyed in the second half. Not sure we can fix this problem this year.
• Leuey did no real damage with his taps.
• Kids like Zerrett and Parish are doing far too much of the heavy lifting in the midfield. Why not use Kelly in the guts form time to time? Why can’t Goddard play a more contested brand of footy? What’s the point of playing Polkinghorne if he’s not supporting our younger mids? I know he’s slow, but maybe Crowley should’ve kept his spot.
• Fantasia – Not sure if Woosha knows this, but you’re allowed to move players around a bit. Fanta may well become a small-forward solution for us, but watching him waste away in a FP when he could’ve been creating some midfield run was very frustrating.

The good
• Prefer him back, but Bags was good up forward.
• Zerrett is a superstar.
• Never thought I’d be saying this, but after 9 rounds, Cooney has been just about our most consistent player.
• Brown was very solid. 4 goals is a great contribution.
• Tippa, Dea and Ambrose stood out amongst the backs. Kelly could’ve been good, but butchered it too much.
• Joey D not bad.
• Glad to see Edwards put his hand up in the VFL. Will be disappointed if he isn’t rewarded.

Overall, predictable game and outcome, but still think we’re capable of better.

Our centre square work was bizarrely incompetent today. One way traffic and we had to build virtually every forward move from defensive 50. It wasn't just that we couldnt clear the ball, we couldnt even force secondary bounces or pressure the takeaways. They just swanned away with the footy at will. And from what i could see we didnt really try to change things up.

This

If you watch the third quarter where they pile on 6 goals straight

Every centre bounce/clearance they have a spare on the wing or out back and 15 metres to the left of the contest, which means we have a spare on the wing about the same distance

First bounce, they get it away, use the spare, uncontested kick into 50, uncontested mark

Second bounce, same thing

Then a ball up, same thing

We didn’t man that guy up for 15-20 minutes and that spare man destroyed us

He should have been manned up after the second goal once it was clear we weren’t winning clerances

SECONDLY

Their hb’s ran off connor and polks all day and connor and polks did not follow.

You have a team winning the clearances, with a spare player, and two hb’s running for support. You are going to be cleaned up.

For me a victory would be one holding the man decision on Parish…I was left bitterly disappointed (at one point he ran around a second saints player with the first saints player holding his jumper all before the ball had hit the ground to be balled up)

That Goddard handball to Tippa wasn’t just off, it was way off. That was a big blow to us. This plus his bizarre inability to man up their spare on the wing even when we were getting crushed in the clearances just boggled my mind.

Of our forward line in the second half I saw Joe D many time, raz about twice and the rest ???

Freo - subi
Hawks
Gws
Eagles - subi

YIKES

Good thing after this block of games is the finish line will be in sight.will go very quickly to finally put this horrible season behind us and never be spoke of again.

Freo - subi
Hawks
Gws
Eagles - subi

YIKES

Add our usual June malaise to the mix and we might become the first ever team to put up a negative score.

Is it just me, or is gleeson not that quick? People have raved about his pace but i find him to be pretty slow most of the time
You dont listen to the blitzcast do you? Its basically a segment on the show to mention gleesons pace
Tipper starts in the middle next week. Strong, quick and precise with the ball.

Agree.

Things happen when he has the ball.