Matthew Lloyd - Open Mike

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn't one of them.

If you mean in terms of pushing him higher up the ground so we could develop other forwards then I 100% agree with you. If you mean how he handled his retirement then i don’t.

You don’t honestly think Lloyd could have gone another year?

I think he could of if managed right. Plus he could of really helped out Hurley up forward, instead of the whole forward line just being put on a 19 year olds back.

I also never liked how Knights was chewing gum during Lloyd’s retirement presser, just showed disrespect imo

I dunno, his decline in the last year was quite severe. If he had have played on in 2010, it might have been as awkward as Lucas in 2009.

I guess Nick Riewoldt is one to look at. He has played on well after most thought he couldn’t, and that has a lot to do with - surprise surprise - him accepting a different role in the team.

I do hate that Lloyd is often remembered for his last few years, and his final game in particular. Because Hird aside, he’s the best Bomber I saw play, including Timmy, TD and Madden.

And I got to run on the MCG twice for his 100 goal hauls. What a friggin legend.

I take it from this you are in your 20s?

Anyone who got to watch Timmy, TD and Maddern with regularity know they were very very special players in the elite of all time bracket. Lloyd as good as he was should not be compared.

Nah, mid 30’s.

Saw them all regularly.

900 goals is a fark load of goals. It’s even more impressive in hindsight. As I said, I reckon his last few years sour his legacy. His best was incredible.

Simon Madden almost kicked 600 and was the best ruckman. Great player Lloydy but no Madden.

He also played about 100 more games. Didn’t tear his hammy off the bone either. That would have conservatively cost Lloyd 150+ goals over the rest of his career.

I’d put Madden, T.Watson and Hird as the best I’ve seen at EFC with Lloyd close behind. But for a career cruelled by injury Neale Daniher would be up there and If he had stayed Graham Moss would definitely be there.

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn't one of them.

If you mean in terms of pushing him higher up the ground so we could develop other forwards then I 100% agree with you. If you mean how he handled his retirement then i don’t.

I think he could of if managed right. Plus he could of really helped out Hurley up forward, instead of the whole forward line just being put on a 19 year olds back.

I also never liked how Knights was chewing gum during Lloyd’s retirement presser, just showed disrespect imo

I dunno, his decline in the last year was quite severe. If he had have played on in 2010, it might have been as awkward as Lucas in 2009.

I guess Nick Riewoldt is one to look at. He has played on well after most thought he couldn’t, and that has a lot to do with - surprise surprise - him accepting a different role in the team.

I do hate that Lloyd is often remembered for his last few years, and his final game in particular. Because Hird aside, he’s the best Bomber I saw play, including Timmy, TD and Madden.

And I got to run on the MCG twice for his 100 goal hauls. What a friggin legend.

Anyone who got to watch Timmy, TD and Maddern with regularity know they were very very special players in the elite of all time bracket. Lloyd as good as he was should not be compared.

Nah, mid 30’s.

Saw them all regularly.

900 goals is a fark load of goals. It’s even more impressive in hindsight. As I said, I reckon his last few years sour his legacy. His best was incredible.

Still to young to remember these players during their peak. 83/84/85 was ridiculous.

LLoyd is behind all three but not far.

Nah, mid 30’s.

Saw them all regularly.

926 goals from 270 games with only 2 of those seasons where he topped the ton.

That’s an amazing effort to score so heavily despite having only two 100+ goal seasons and with losing virtually one entire season due to that hamstring injury in 2006.

Lloyd was just simply a freak.

So

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn’t one of them.

Nah, mid 30’s.

Saw them all regularly.

926 goals from 270 games with only 2 of those seasons where he topped the ton.

That’s an amazing effort to score so heavily despite having only two 100+ goal seasons and with losing virtually one entire season due to that hamstring injury in 2006.

Lloyd was just simply a freak.

Don't forget the year he missed a big chunk off because of that finger injury

Nah, mid 30’s.

Saw them all regularly.

Still to young to remember these players during their peak. 83/84/85 was ridiculous.

LLoyd is behind all three but not far.

Meh, you have your opinion, I have mine.

And not for the first time (and I suspect not for the last), they differ.

No worries Billy.

Lloydo

Cornholio

Someone send that video to Franga.

THAT is how you play forward Aaron.

The thing I miss about Lloyd the most, is when he took a mark, you could go to the Kicthen and get an Icepole cos you knew it was a goal, great set shot.

Everyone in our forward 50 who takes a mark now you get off the coach to get closer to the TV and yell at them to make sure they don’t kick it out on the full.

You too huh

The thing I miss about Lloyd the most, is when he took a mark, you could go to the Kicthen and get an Icepole cos you knew it was a goal, great set shot.

Everyone in our forward 50 who takes a mark now you get off the coach to get closer to the TV and yell at them to make sure they don’t kick it out on the full.

Nobody in the league can kick accurately.

One little tid bit from the interview was when Lloyd spoke about how he became such a good mark.

I think he mentioned it was either Robert Shaw or Sheeds who told him that he needed to start taking marks out in front (of his eyes) to become a truly great full forward.

That was one aspect of Lloyd’s game that I loved to watch and thought was one of his greatest strengths.

The way that he used to lead out from full forward at full tilt and hit the ball, from an exquisitely delivered ball from one our many great midfielders at the time, with a one grab mark without jumping into or slowing down, regardless of whether he had a clear path or a pack in front of him and cleanly take the mark was just magic to watch.

One thing about his playing days that weren’t mentioned enough was actually how courageous of a player he was with the way he attacked the ball, particularly when early in his career he suffered a pretty horrendous injury with the split spleen from the '96 Prelim.

Regardless of what many on here think of his performance as a media personality, I loved watching him play for us, just farking loved it!

He will always go down as one of this club’s absolute greats.

I probably didn’t realise how good he was until watching highlights online. As a lad he just our full forward, you know, you bloke who took marks and converted.

But that’s actually so hard. And while his goal kicking was supreme, his marking was better. I can’t think of a more consistent mark.

Lloyd said one of the hardest bits was that he was innacurate with set shots the year he kicked 100 goals. To be in that situation, you’re taking a shiteload of marks.

Hirdy was our best play, but lloydy and Fletch were far more important.

You go to the kitchen to get an icepole?

He mentioned he only has 4 close friends from the club. Do we know who they are?

I would guess Lucas, Blumfield, Caracella, one or both of the Johnson’s? They all started within a year or two of him.

Spike.
They were always having a coffee together at Poyntons.

What do you recon McVeigh said when it was time to go

I thought you were going to say - “go to the kitchen and make a cup of tea”, because he would be about to take his kick when you got back

That game in 09 was epic. I remember walking across the bridge to the G that day saying to my mates “if there’s one thing I want to see today it’s Sewell get knocked out”
The ironic thing about it was that I was in the toilet when it ■■■■■■ happened!
But the emergence of at that time the number 22 M Hurley was epic to get us across the line.
Was a good interview to watch and Lordo will always be a hero of mine for what he did for EFC