Matthew Lloyd - Open Mike

One thing about his playing days that weren’t mentioned enough was actually how courageous of a player he was with the way he attacked the ball, particularly when early in his career he suffered a pretty horrendous injury with the split spleen from the '96 Prelim.

Very true, and completely ignored by the masses who instead subscribed to the “he’s a soft diving player who gets all his goals from free kicks” theory. But most barely ever watched him play and definitely never bothered to notice how strong these marks where against heavy pressure. Then he’d go back and calmly slot it against howls of boo-ing.

He mentioned he only has 4 close friends from the club. Do we know who they are?

I would guess Lucas, Blumfield, Caracella, one or both of the Johnson’s? They all started within a year or two of him.

He mentioned he only has 4 close friends from the club. Do we know who they are?

I would guess Lucas, Blumfield, Caracella, one or both of the Johnson’s? They all started within a year or two of him.

Ramma? Solly?

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn't one of them.

If you mean in terms of pushing him higher up the ground so we could develop other forwards then I 100% agree with you. If you mean how he handled his retirement then i don’t.

You don’t honestly think Lloyd could have gone another year?

I think he could of if managed right. Plus he could of really helped out Hurley up forward, instead of the whole forward line just being put on a 19 year olds back.

I also never liked how Knights was chewing gum during Lloyd’s retirement presser, just showed disrespect imo

I could of sworn Hird was one of Lloyds groomsmen
Edit: no he wasn’t

Knights was in an impossible situation.

…made worse by Knights just being …well Knights - I thought he was the worst AFL coach I have ever seen.

Did you see what Malthouse did to carlton?

…made worse by Knights just being …well Knights - I thought he was the worst AFL coach I have ever seen.

Did Ross Lyon at the Saints or Ratten at FC ever get over the line against a Bombers team coached by Knights? Those are 2 I reckon he would have a superior win/loss ratio over.

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn't one of them.

If you mean in terms of pushing him higher up the ground so we could develop other forwards then I 100% agree with you. If you mean how he handled his retirement then i don’t.

I think he could of if managed right. Plus he could of really helped out Hurley up forward, instead of the whole forward line just being put on a 19 year olds back.

I also never liked how Knights was chewing gum during Lloyd’s retirement presser, just showed disrespect imo

I dunno, his decline in the last year was quite severe. If he had have played on in 2010, it might have been as awkward as Lucas in 2009.

I guess Nick Riewoldt is one to look at. He has played on well after most thought he couldn’t, and that has a lot to do with - surprise surprise - him accepting a different role in the team.

I do hate that Lloyd is often remembered for his last few years, and his final game in particular. Because Hird aside, he’s the best Bomber I saw play, including Timmy, TD and Madden.

And I got to run on the MCG twice for his 100 goal hauls. What a friggin legend.

Tim Watson?

I don’t remember anything about his actual coaching except that St Kilda were beyond horrible during his time there

One little tid bit from the interview was when Lloyd spoke about how he became such a good mark.

I think he mentioned it was either Robert Shaw or Sheeds who told him that he needed to start taking marks out in front (of his eyes) to become a truly great full forward.

That was one aspect of Lloyd’s game that I loved to watch and thought was one of his greatest strengths.

The way that he used to lead out from full forward at full tilt and hit the ball, from an exquisitely delivered ball from one our many great midfielders at the time, with a one grab mark without jumping into or slowing down, regardless of whether he had a clear path or a pack in front of him and cleanly take the mark was just magic to watch.

One thing about his playing days that weren’t mentioned enough was actually how courageous of a player he was with the way he attacked the ball, particularly when early in his career he suffered a pretty horrendous injury with the split spleen from the '96 Prelim.

Regardless of what many on here think of his performance as a media personality, I loved watching him play for us, just farking loved it!

He will always go down as one of this club’s absolute greats.

Amen. Too quick to forget how good he was.

Tim Watson?

I don’t remember anything about his actual coaching except that St Kilda were beyond horrible during his time there

They were hopeless when he arrived, shocking culture and no better when he left and another coach didn’t make much difference. Eventually, they ended up Grant Thomas and then Ross Lyon.

Must have held himself to very high standards that he was afraid to go outside or face the media in 2008 when he still managed 62 goals.

I could of sworn Hird was one of Lloyds groomsmen Edit: no he wasn't

McVeigh

Did Ross Lyon at the Saints or Ratten at FC ever get over the line against a Bombers team coached by Knights? Those are 2 I reckon he would have a superior win/loss ratio over.

More kudos to Knights- never said a peep about the revolution.

He was involved with the team I loved boys - whatever other coaches did to the other clubs meant little to me but Knights almost broke the fabric of the Essendon Football Club and he wasn’t a coach - pretty ■■■■■■■ simple really.

I dunno, his decline in the last year was quite severe. If he had have played on in 2010, it might have been as awkward as Lucas in 2009.

I guess Nick Riewoldt is one to look at. He has played on well after most thought he couldn’t, and that has a lot to do with - surprise surprise - him accepting a different role in the team.

I do hate that Lloyd is often remembered for his last few years, and his final game in particular. Because Hird aside, he’s the best Bomber I saw play, including Timmy, TD and Madden.

And I got to run on the MCG twice for his 100 goal hauls. What a friggin legend.

I take it from this you are in your 20s?

Anyone who got to watch Timmy, TD and Maddern with regularity know they were very very special players in the elite of all time bracket. Lloyd as good as he was should not be compared.

Anyone who got to watch Timmy, TD and Maddern with regularity know they were very very special players in the elite of all time bracket. Lloyd as good as he was should not be compared.

Nah, mid 30’s.

Saw them all regularly.

900 goals is a fark load of goals. It’s even more impressive in hindsight. As I said, I reckon his last few years sour his legacy. His best was incredible.

Voss is still the all time worst coach i have ever seen. Pretty much single handedly destroyed the club

Voss isn’t even the worst Lions coach this decade

Tony Shaw is the worst coach of all time.

Worst bloke too.

Nah, mid 30’s.

Saw them all regularly.

900 goals is a fark load of goals. It’s even more impressive in hindsight. As I said, I reckon his last few years sour his legacy. His best was incredible.

Simon Madden almost kicked 600 and was the best ruckman. Great player Lloydy but no Madden.