Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

In regards to this, Stack has looked very good in his short time in the system. He’ll get better again too. Richmond got a steal with him IMO.

2 Likes

Classic risk and reward selection…Most AFL clubs would prefer to select the solid citizen type… Stack was a jet at underage level and just needed the right environment. From memory both parents were/are in jail…
I personally want some kids that have seen the tough side of life… For mine we’ve got a lot of really good kids who at their core are competitive but who haven’t had to fight for survival. Give us a few who’ve come from Australia’s equivalent of the Bronx…TAC, WAFL, and SANFL also seem to exclude some of these kids as they aren’t the right fit even though they are incredibly talented

Agree with you… I’m not sure about Parker’s background. The interesting piece to this is that clubs will look at the Garlett situation from a few years ago and be turned off. It’s not great PR to have a former offender on your list even if they are rehabilitated

He’ll end up an important part of their midfield if not this year then definitely next.

Interesting idea Scorch. I like a good back story. Especially a story about a kid from the wrong side of the tracks that makes the grade.

We have actually had a few guys like that.
Perhaps not both parents in jail but a few houses. I think Danny Jacobs was one ditto Hibbard.

The TAC is full of kids from elite private schools Scotch, Xavier, St Kevin’s; the grammars Essendon, Melb Geelong Brighton etc.

Often the kids from the wrong side of the tracks show more desperation.

I for one wanted Stack badly. He is a pure Jet and if he keeps on playing the year out will be one of the most valuable young players this year.

The Hawks to a chance on a kid that was supposed to be a gun. Can’t remember his name he broke a few rules and they got rid of him. That’s the chance you take.

For these kids culture and care mean so much more as they just don’t have that at home.
Dimma has taken Stack into his home and become a father to him. I like this approach, it shows so much of Dimma’s character.

If only he knew power point, perhaps we would have won a flag instead of the tigers…

2 Likes

He did the same thing with Daniel Rioli.

Can’t see Woosha doing it. It would be good to get someone at the club in the coaching ranks that could actually perform this role

Are you knockIng Skipworths home cooked meals?

Ah Skippy!!!

A mate of mine is great mates with Skippy, they played footy for Port Magpies in SA before both came to Melb

Apparently Skippy can’t make noodles to save himself, not even the 2 minute variety. Rocky on the other hand is a wizard in the kitchen.

Don’t know about your mate but Skipworth never played for Port. He came from the YP which is the Eagles zone and played all his SANFL for them

Yestin Eades?

1 Like

Yeah I guess, was he super talented though? And did he want it? And was our welfare team actually any good? Great clubs support these kids and make them want to be better.

Pickett is 27. That automatically makes roughly 75% of teams put a line through him even before they consider the prison stint.

My mistake, it was another club in SA. Roc played for magpies, I think that Skippy was playing for Woodville.

Perhaps it was jnrs when they played together. They both moved to Melb at similar times and Roc was trying to get a gig for Bombers VFL to try a back into AFL when Skippy was in & out of senior team and ended up as a Captain & then coach of our VFL side. Roc ended up playing for Balwyn Tigers and I reckon he would have made a good AFL player given the opportunity.

I saw Matt Hanson play for Werribee on Sunday. 187cm 81kg 24 years old. Looks a decent sort. Anybody know much about him?

Riccardi looked alright for Werribee on the weekend in conditions that didn’t suit. He’s gotta be a chance for their rising star award (Fothergill - Round Medal?).

2 Likes

Agree 100%

I mentioned Riccardi as a missed opportunity for the mid season draft spot especially given we passed on our 2nd pick.

He has been overlooked by everyone, so it makes you wonder what they don’t see in him, what his flaws are.

As someone who’s seen him play one game where he did well against my team, I feel confident in saying he has no weaknesses and should be regarded as a top 10 pick.

14 Likes

Flaws ? He would fit right in with every single player on our list.

Me thinks he is perhaps twice as good as Houlihan & at least as good as Gown as a forward.