MCC Catering at EFC Function Tries to Kill Guests

Poison gob.

Yes, but for those affected to react so quickly, it is more likely that the food contained bacterial toxins, rather than the bacteria itself.

So this makes the caterers look much worse.

I seem to remember someone in the know, maybe @Sameolds2010 saying that food poisoning typically takes more than 24 hours before any symptoms result. So I dunno whatā€™s happened here

Reaction to a chemical/preservative in food can be swift - different from an allergic reaction to a particular food. Can explain why preservatives got banned in some meat.

Hmmm, meatloaf.

Albert explained it.
Bugs make toxins and they are the main cause of you getting sick. If the food was highly contaminated with bugs then youā€™d have a large amount of toxin already in the food you ate. So itā€™s a quick reaction to the toxin, rather than waiting 24 or more hours for bugs to grow in you and then getting a toxin load that makes you sick.

2 Likes

Think the MCG would have learnt, the last time they had Meatloaf at the ground people were violently sick.

14 Likes

Iā€™ve only had food poisoning once and that took about 18 hours to hit.

On the other hand, I had dinner twice at an Indian joint near Ormond Station about 12 minutes walk from home. Both times, I was forced to effect that strange ā€œbutt cheeks clenched ā€œ walk halfway home. A damn near thing! But I often have a reaction of less than an hour. The only time I display sensitivity.

2 Likes

Yep, and if it is what I suspect (staphyloccocal, given the extremely fast onset), strangely enough had the bacteria been present and not the toxin, nobody would be the wiser.

Ingesting the bacteria themselves are harmless. Itā€™s only where the toxin has pre-formed in the food where you see illness.

Iā€™m sure @Sameolds2010 once tried to tell me itā€™s impossible to get the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  within 12 hours or so.

He was wrong.
Iā€™ve 100% had it come on in a few hours.

I blame sabotage by vegan activists.

2 Likes

I believe my friend Olds, despite that also being my experience. But it could have been a weird reaction or something. Iā€™m on team Olds

Perhaps Chris 1993 is right. Toxin vs live bug.

I said there is one exception.

Otherwise itā€™s the meal you had the night before. Or norovirus.

But itā€™s always easier to blame that big smelly warm tuna bake you had for lunch a couple of hours ago.

So unless you got diagnosed by gp after giving a sample to confirm you are talking out your ar$e, pardon the pun.

1 Like

And all these good ladies & gents at the MCC corporate function all must have eaten the same thing the day before too.

1 Like

qed

Iā€™ll take it youā€™re either to lazy to read or wanting to wind me up.

1 Like

Really, is it the only time you display sensitivity?

I couldnā€™t let it go - even then you might be a bit sh1tty. All jokes aside there is nothing worse than food poisoning it is the pits. (Not a long drop).

I mentioned it earlier - itā€™s a rarity.

If you look at the symptoms from Anzac Day it was mostly disorientation and short of breath. Diarrhoea and vomiting were never mentioned.

And Iā€™ll go out on a limb here and postulate the main cohort was in the later stages of life, exhibiting a reduced immune system.

Itā€™s clearly Ross river fever.

If you people would just listen to your friendly neighbourhood health inspector non of this would happen.

1 Like