Media agenda- Shortened Quarters

True

I just can’t imagine that in the world of netflix/stan/disney+ etc that channel 7 would make more money using that extra half hour of broadcast time on something else vs a standard length game of footy.

1 Like

■■■■ that. Stick to 22 home and away matches at 20min quarters.

I don’t understand how shorter quarters improves the spectacle, it’s is purely driven by television, the length of a game isn’t going to make any coach less defensive. If they want to make the game higher scoring drastically reduce rotations, but for some reason the PA is dead against that.

Less playing time but more time for adds means overall the same length.

it’ll happen. because the players will all vote for it. if you got offered the same wage at work for less hours, would you say no?

1 Like

not really. ads on channel 7 only come after goals, or the breaks (which stay the same)

less playing time = less goals = less ads

Having the game in its traditional form really makes it a spectacle, primarily because it’s only sustainable to play once a week which means that you have a greater appreciation for it. Which in a sense makes you value every game, player, possession and goal that much more. The downside is that currently the players are pushing their bodies and keeping it at an optimum ‘red line’ for prolonged periods of time. This makes the entire season a gruelling and laborious exercise of trying to prevent the body from falling apart and managing injuries while nursing others through parts or the entirety of the season.

On the other hand, if they play shorter quarters does that open the door to multiple games a week? Effectively meaning that you could see regular players play in twice as many games across their career and you’ll get to see younger, greener players play more frequently in a variety of team selections. It could also mean players are able to properly rest and/or recover from injuries while younger players with a decent amount of games under their belt can step in and fill the void. Ironically the entire season would become a game of attrition and coaching choices and strategy would become equally as important as game day decisions and selection.

If shortening the quarters doesn’t add games to the season then i’m probably out.

I reckon Gerard might point back to the first 6 months of this year as the start of his decline. Much like Tim Lane not wanting to wear the Chanel 9 logo on his jacket.

He has gone from the Voice of the People, to someone who pushes his own agenda and pretty sure he believes he can walk on water.

1 Like

Shortened quarters is a ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ idea. If the AFL aren’t confident of getting a season in without needing to reduce quarters, so as to play games quicker, then grow a pair and cancel the year.

6 Likes

Fixed

5 Likes

This is gaining some serious air time from disgruntled fans on talkback radio. Eddie can ■■■■ right off

Hell yes.

I’ve said this many times on this site, but when I’m eventually put in charge of the AFL, my first action will be a memo to all staff that anyone known to have been watching anything on ESPN will be instantly dismissed via defenestration.

5 Likes

That’s why he did/said it. People are just suckers,… and prickz like him and other media knobs know it, and push the buttons.

‘It’s people in the media who peddle this’: AFL great’s passionate plea

AFL

• May 25, 2020 9:08pm
  • by DAVID ZITA
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Matthew Lloyd thinks the push for shorter quarters is being peddled by the media rather than the fans (Pic: Michael Klein).Source: News Corp Australia

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd believes the media is peddling for shorter quarters in the game rather than the fans.

In response to the coronavirus crisis, the AFL Commission approved reducing quarter lengths from 20 minutes plus time on to 16 minutes plus time on for the 2020 season.

With some debating whether the change should be permanent, Lloyd suggested next-to-no fans would want to see the reduction remain beyond this year.

“I’m not phased by the shorter quarters but I think a lot of media people who push that the game should be shorter, I think they watch a lot of footy and sometimes can be tired by the game,” he said on 3AW Sportsday .

“What I’m saying is I’ve never heard a fan who loves their club, who goes to watch their club every week go “Gee I’m glad that game was shorter”, or “I want the game to be shorter”.

“It’s people in the media who peddle this who sometimes I think maybe take the job for granted, take the game for granted and maybe are tired of seeing maybe three games or four games a week.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-afl-quarter-length-2020-afl-restart-matthew-lloyd-eddie-mcguire-afl-fixture/news-story/a6a3b38394d632e01a1c5583024fad22

14 Likes

he’s 100% right

10 Likes

Yup, … except he left out the part that the players, via mouth piece for the AFLPA, Dangerfeild, are pushing for it too.

Yep. That’s rare for Lloyd but he is.

2 Likes

Honestly, maybe its cos im ■■■■■■ but, shorter games = more games or no change for mine.

The television timeslots have been cut from 2:40 to 2:30.

They’re nominally lopping off 4x4=16 minutes (call it 25 minutes with time on) so there is padding via extra time between goals (known, 15 seconds) and presumably between quarters.