Media agenda- Shortened Quarters

I hate it. Just leave the game alone. David King is one of the worst when it comes to change this, try this, like he is some god of football. Then Whateley sits there goin yes yes then he starts. Then all these trying to be revelent media know all’s think the supporters would love it an so on. An that grub Leigh Matthews. Always trying to change the game

2 Likes

Then you’ve got Adam Treloar saying things like “yeah it was over in a flash, I really liked it”.

He’s saying that to fans watching a mid week footy Show, after having watched footy all weekend.

Does he really think we want the games to be over in a flash? It’s all very strange.

Some players (Dangerfield and others) just want all the money and continually push for shorter product. Can’t have it both ways.

5 Likes

Glad it ended when it did because another minute or two and Adelaide may have got up.

I fear 16 minute quarters are here to stay. The COVID - 19 outbreak has given the AwFuL the ‘excuse’ it needs to get what it wants: shorter games and a 17 round Home & Away season. We’ll pay more of course, for a reduced product!
Most of us want the game to be left as it is, but the AwFuL will go it’s own way and we’ll miss out. Typical!

Makes you wonder about the value of three games in 14 days. Its a slaughterfest.

At this rate Richmond might premiers for the next five years or completely burn out.

No chance that both changes translate into next year. There would be an absolute uproar.

With the season to be down to 17 games and with the rumours the grand final could even be pushed back till early December as a last resort, what really was the point in shortened quarters?

As some have mentioned it did seem over to quick.

I didn’t time all the quarters in our match, but the 1st quarter went for just over 28 mins.

I don’t like it!

I taker it you only started watching football after 1993, when it finished being 25 minutes?

7 Likes

these changes that the media are fornicating over ,somebody’s has been watching too much NFL, they have 15 minute quarters and 17 Game season ,I bet you none of these media commentator ever paid for a membership or sit in the Elder. do we change AFL name to NFL and give all the Players helmets and pads ,Too why do we follow America sports practice

1 Like

I know what you mean, but that is some interesting grammar.

2 Likes

The Super Bowl, the only one hour game they can’t fit into a 4 hour time slot.

3 Likes

Nope. In 1993 they changed the length of quarters, but compensated for the shorter quarters, by assessing time on differently, in effect often making quarters even longer.

2 Likes

And Salmon was probably to blame for that. Was a game versus Fitzroy (pre-season final?), we were narrowly in front late in the game, and he had the ability to keep knocking the ball out-of-bounds at each throw-in. Time kept rolling every time he did that.

Was awesome if you were us.

the AFL lost control of the games ever since the Channel 7 has gave them 2.7 billion dollars, Channel 7 is the puppeteer pulling the strings of the AFL , If channel 7 wants 15-minute quarters 17 games season ,AFL we’ll do it , to please their masters

2 Likes

Channel 7 would want longer seasons to generate more $$$s, probably want longer games too, to keep ratings and advertising revenue up.

2 Likes

there’s always a lot of keyboard peanuts on every site you go to

Indeed there are.

1 Like

Why would 7 want less games for what they paid? Tv deals are one of the biggest reasons shortened seasons are not occurring.

1 Like