Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness-What Songs Make you Cry

Stumbled across a top 10 of songs when going down the youtube rabbit hole the other night,

I myself usually go to an upbeat song to pick me up, but this makes me think how these songs make me feel, when feeling down these particular songs actually made me feel better.

Putting it out to Blitzers what song actually makes you cry or feel sad

So post the songs that can bring out the sad emotions, I was wondering why this didn’t get a mention in that youtube clip ??

2 Likes

Paris 1919 - John Cale.
Have to listen the entire album first, but somewhere in there…

2 Likes

Going to try and find it, thanks!

1 Like

Melancholy songs paging @Crazy_Bomber finally a music thread just for you.

2 Likes

Dead Can Dance - The Host Of Seraphim (Baraka) HD -1080p from Introspection Minds on Vimeo.

I think it’s worth watching from the film Baraka on Vimeo, but if you’re not into the whole going to other sites malarkey…

4 Likes

There’s a few similar songs like this that often get me.

This song most recently popped up in a podcast I’ll add a link to below as well. Hearing Kaci talk about her mother and then try and sing the song set me right off.

Sent my dad to the big pub in the sky to this.

Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree album written just after his son died. It’s heartbreaking.

5 Likes

“Wish you were here” Pink Floyd, hit me one night in the early 90’s, just in a room, after work with work colleagues , pretty gassed, just burst into tears.

5 Likes

One of my Dad’s fav’s as well, totally forgot how much he loved this song when he was dying :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

“Brick” by Ben Folds Five

“100 Years” by Five for Fighting

5 Likes

You can link the songs if you like

Also, I will cry at the drop of a hat.
Stupid songs that have made me cry include I Don’t Like Monday’s, 99 Luft Balloons, and Shiela by Jamie T.

2 Likes

My dad often used to play Moon River on the piano . He died aged 58- way too young - he was a very special person. The song always brings a tear.

13 Likes

Last Thursday’s Spotify Throwback Thursday theme was Sad Songs, most of the songs already mentioned here were in the play list.

This one always gets me.

4 Likes

Oh my, I’ve been waiting for this thread.
Let’s start with Hank, where else would you start?!

1 Like

This one has been known to get me.

2 Likes

Yes why did 99 Luft Balloons always do that to me, as wellI Don’t like Mondays

1 Like

Also, also…I wrote an (unfinished) story that had someone singing KC and the Sunshine Band’s Please Don’t Go at a funeral, and now I can’t hear it in any other context and now that stupid, stupid song wrecks me every time I hear it.

2 Likes

Joni Mitchell denied this song was about the baby she gave up for adoption but I don’t believe her. One of the great popular songs of the modern era and pertinent with Xmas looming, one of the saddest times of any year.

3 Likes