Melbourne priority pick

If they don't award them a pick, I don't know what the rule is for. Unless they are reserving their discretionary powers for when GWS, Sydney, Brisbane or GC need a leg up. Of course they don't deserve a draft concession, but you don't get into their position and deserve anything. A healthy comp is in the best interests of every club.

but compo picks arent going to make melbourne competitive. theyve had plenty of high end draft picks and they waste them. its deeper than that. if they really want to help the club out and contribute to keeping a healthy competition, give them extra in the salary cap so they can chase a player or two who has experience. picking up another kid who doesent know the ropes is just going to have the same issues time and time again.
Roos has already said he is open to trading the compo picks for experienced players rather than grabbing young kids. That would make sense and be more productive.
You mean like how Gold Coast and GWS were meant to trade some of their plethora of early draft picks for established senior players....yep I'm sure Roos isn't talking out his ■■■■, trying to make it easier for the AFL to give them a draft pick.

Melbourne traded away pick 2 last year

Just give them a flag and be done with it. Will mean just as much this way as compared to the charity route they are going.

Most teams have to build through the normal system, nothing to suggest they have been unfairly treated or had incredible bad luck compared to the other sides. FFS - we’ve had some top picks go bust and we still manage to be in the mix. Sure we go Essington sometimes but we suck it up and move on with hope.

Melbourne have built an awful culture of losing and being rewarded for losing.

If they don't award them a pick, I don't know what the rule is for. Unless they are reserving their discretionary powers for when GWS, Sydney, Brisbane or GC need a leg up. Of course they don't deserve a draft concession, but you don't get into their position and deserve anything. A healthy comp is in the best interests of every club.

but compo picks arent going to make melbourne competitive. theyve had plenty of high end draft picks and they waste them. its deeper than that. if they really want to help the club out and contribute to keeping a healthy competition, give them extra in the salary cap so they can chase a player or two who has experience. picking up another kid who doesent know the ropes is just going to have the same issues time and time again.
Roos has already said he is open to trading the compo picks for experienced players rather than grabbing young kids. That would make sense and be more productive.
You mean like how Gold Coast and GWS were meant to trade some of their plethora of early draft picks for established senior players....yep I'm sure Roos isn't talking out his ■■■■, trying to make it easier for the AFL to give them a draft pick.

Melbourne traded away pick 2 last year

I aware, but for a higher rated youngster with 2 years in the system and a downgrade of 7 places in the ND.
Don't see too many teams offering that sort of deal again, and the fact they did it last year makes me almost certain they wouldn't do it again this year.
Two top 5 draft picks can be extremely valuable if you nail both of them (Roughhead and Franklin).

One player doesn't make you a healthier club.

Yes it does. Maybe only marginally, but don't telling me that getting access to the best talent in the country isn't going to help them.

Just give them a flag and be done with it. Will mean just as much this way as compared to the charity route they are going.
Most teams have to build through the normal system, nothing to suggest they have been unfairly treated or had incredible bad luck compared to the other sides. FFS - we've had some top picks go bust and we still manage to be in the mix. Sure we go Essington sometimes but we suck it up and move on with hope.

Coming soon - in the interests of equalising the competition, the AFL presents the new Priority Flag System...

The AFL are helping Melbourne in other ways - ie. cash handouts, bankrolling their CEO and coach, But if they are going to turn it around, they need football talent. I don't know a better way of acquiring elite talent than by getting early picks.

Most teams have to build through the normal system, nothing to suggest they have been unfairly treated or had incredible bad luck compared to the other sides. FFS - we've had some top picks go bust and we still manage to be in the mix. Sure we go Essington sometimes but we suck it up and move on with hope.

Melbourne has also had some bad luck along the way. Even this year they lost Mitch Clark, who was arguably their best player. They got nothing in return. Same as when Jurrah left. There forward line would look pretty handy if you put those two players in the side. Of course they have been poorly managed along the way as well.

Who was the last team to get a priority pick by any chance? and what year?

It should be given to them and to be fair it should also be given to the team they last beat.

see, its hard to say that they have rubbish recruiting when they have rubbish development. if any of those players went to another club, im inclined to think that they would be better players. they've been in a rebuild forever, maybe if they trained their players better, stopped poopooing them in the media, showed some patience and werent so happy to delist players, then they might see some growth.

This. Player development IMO is far more valuable that draft picks. It's why there is a perception that good clubs continually "pick gems" in the draft. 

They don't. They just develop the players better. 5 years down the track everyone says what an amazing pick player X was. 

Both Melbourne and the Saints are offering up their first round picks.

Must be a bad draft class.

I thought that Goddard bloke goes okay…

A first round priority pick? Melbourne, 2009. That was the last year they were on offer.

A first round priority pick? Melbourne, 2009. That was the last year they were on offer.

Thanks for that.

Yeah it has been 5 years, they deserve yet another one.

Anyone who's interested (probably nobody) but here's the priority picks handed out since 2000. Red indicates beginning of first round - the good ones - and black is end of first round.

Adelaide: Kerridge

Brisbane: -

Carlton: Walker, Murphy, Hampson, Kreuzer

Collingwood: Thomas

Essendon: Jetta

Fremantle: (traded), Forster

Geelong: -

Hawthorn: Roughead, Ellis

Melbourne: Sylvia, Blease, Scully

North Melbourne: -

Port Adelaide: -

Richmond: Deledio, Rance

St Kilda: Riewoldt, Ball

Sydney: -

West Coast: Judd, Shuey, Darling, McInnes

Western Bulldogs: Cooney, Griffen

I'd forgotten about Mitch Clarke, that's going to really help their case - they'll probably get it.  Plus with free agency compo picks... our first pick will probably end up in the 20s...fark

Winderlich is retiring early.

Maybe that’s enough to get another late round first round pick.

Wait. This is for reals? I thought it was just speculation - but they are seriously asking for a priority pick?

GAGF.  They've had top draft picks for a decade, financial bail outs for longer - it's time this irrelevant club was made redundant.

I thought that Goddard bloke goes okay...

is that the golf guy?

I thought that Goddard bloke goes okay...

is that the golf guy?
It's BJ's cousin.
There are around three good key position forwards. Surprised the Saints are opting out of taking a forward. They have such a great future in their forward line after Reiwoldt retires.

They need to build a list quickly before their marquee player Jack Watts retires and the premiership window closes.