Melbourne priority pick

They need to build a list quickly before their marquee player Jack Watts retires and the premiership window closes.

http://youtu.be/voOQ-Fph7Fc?t=7s

They need to build a list quickly before their marquee player Jack Watts retires and the premiership window closes.

http://youtu.be/voOQ-Fph7Fc?t=7s

Lol, gotta love the sound when it hits him

Anyone who's interested (probably nobody) but here's the priority picks handed out since 2000. Red indicates beginning of first round - the good ones - and black is end of first round.

Adelaide: Kerridge
Brisbane: -
Carlton: Walker, Murphy, Hampson, Kreuzer
Collingwood: Thomas
Essendon: Jetta
Fremantle: (traded), Forster
Geelong: -
Hawthorn: Roughead, Ellis
Melbourne: Sylvia, Blease, Scully
North Melbourne: -
Port Adelaide: -
Richmond: Deledio, Rance
St Kilda: Riewoldt, Ball
Sydney: -
West Coast: Judd, Shuey, Darling, McInnes
Western Bulldogs: Cooney, Griffen

■■■■■■ jetta

The comp is farked because of this sort of rubbish. Better teams get harder draws, crap teams play each other twice, clubs get handouts for making mistakes or penalised for trying to get better on their own accord.

What's the point of a competition if the rules change to make it harder for some and easier for others? It's enough to make you give up even trying.

May as well not keep score and just give every team a flag every year for showing up.

The comp is farked because of this sort of rubbish. Better teams get harder draws, crap teams play each other twice, clubs get handouts for making mistakes or penalised for trying to get better on their own accord.

What's the point of a competition if the rules change to make it harder for some and easier for others? It's enough to make you give up even trying.

May as well not keep score and just give every team a flag every year for showing up.

except the Bombers

Anyone who's interested (probably nobody) but here's the priority picks handed out since 2000. Red indicates beginning of first round - the good ones - and black is end of first round.

Adelaide: Kerridge
Brisbane: -
Carlton: Walker, Murphy, Hampson, Kreuzer
Collingwood: Thomas
Essendon: Jetta
Fremantle: (traded), Forster
Geelong: -
Hawthorn: Roughead, Ellis
Melbourne: Sylvia, Blease, Scully
North Melbourne: -
Port Adelaide: -
Richmond: Deledio, Rance
St Kilda: Riewoldt, Ball
Sydney: -
West Coast: Judd, Shuey, Darling, McInnes
Western Bulldogs: Cooney, Griffen

■■■■■■ jetta

West Coast - 4 PP's. I've always been suspicious of them - I reckon they've tanked at times when they've got a few injuries early in the season. Too many seasons with large variations in finishing position. 

1999 5th, next season 13th

2007 3rd, next season 15th

2012 5th, next season 13th

1999 5th
2000 13th
2001 14th
2002 8th
2003 7th
2004 7th
2005 2nd
2006 1st
2007 3rd
2008 15th
2009 11th
2010 16th
2011 4th
2012 5th
2013 13th

We haven’t won a final in ten years and have only made the finals twice, why don’t we get a priority pick?

We haven't won a final in ten years and have only made the finals twice, why don't we get a priority pick?

because drugs!

Just give them a flag and be done with it. Will mean just as much this way as compared to the charity route they are going.
Most teams have to build through the normal system, nothing to suggest they have been unfairly treated or had incredible bad luck compared to the other sides. FFS - we've had some top picks go bust and we still manage to be in the mix. Sure we go Essington sometimes but we suck it up and move on with hope.
Melbourne have built an awful culture of losing and being rewarded for losing.

Melbourne has also had some bad luck along the way. Even this year they lost Mitch Clark, who was arguably their best player. They got nothing in return. Same as when Jurrah left. There forward line would look pretty handy if you put those two players in the side. Of course they have been poorly managed along the way as well.
As I said I reckon all clubs can give examples of hard luck stories with high picks going bad. Gumby is a big one for us. We never saw enough of Winder. Laycock.
What I find difficult to accept is that Roos has been there only a year and they are already flying the white flag. And as others have said there is still 2 games to go. What sort of message does that send out to the club. It's a sh** culture they have built and are not looking to eradicate those attitudes.

If they don't award them a pick, I don't know what the rule is for. Unless they are reserving their discretionary powers for when GWS, Sydney, Brisbane or GC need a leg up. Of course they don't deserve a draft concession, but you don't get into their position and deserve anything. A healthy comp is in the best interests of every club.

One player doesn't make you a healthier club.
under what circumstances would you award a pic Yaco?

Under no circumstances - Priority picks are not needed - One player means nothing in the scheme of things.

If they don't award them a pick, I don't know what the rule is for. Unless they are reserving their discretionary powers for when GWS, Sydney, Brisbane or GC need a leg up. Of course they don't deserve a draft concession, but you don't get into their position and deserve anything. A healthy comp is in the best interests of every club.

Yes it does. Maybe only marginally, but don't telling me that getting access to the best talent in the country isn't going to help them.

History in the last ten years shows it hasn't helped Melbourne. These are current facts.

Under no circumstances - Priority picks are not needed - One player means nothing in the scheme of things.

OK, but the rule exists, so when should the rule be applied?

I’m sure Sydney will get one now that the COLA has been scrapped.

They won’t even have to ask for it.

OK, but the rule exists, so when should the rule be applied?

Clubs must make an application to the AFL for a priority pick - Club/s should not apply - They should have more character.  

Clubs must make an application to the AFL for a priority pick - Club/s should not apply - They should have more character.

What's the difference?
And I disagree with you there Yaco regarding if it helps a club. If you get a priority pick at the start of round 1 you get the top two picks. You can get a gun KP and a gun mid, which will definitely help (all things being equal of course)
Getting it at the end of the round 1 won't make much difference.
And no, Melbourne do not deserve a priority pick.

If you get a priority pick and he leaves a couple of years later ala Tom Scully does he then become known as a priority prick?

So they are getting pick 2 and 3 and now want a priority pick aswell, fark off

So they are getting pick 2 and 3 and now want a priority pick aswell, fark off

Hopefully if someone does get Frawley, they don't pay him enough for it to count as a band 1 compensation pick, and Melbourne get an end of first rounder. Not out of the question if he goes to the Hawks or Cats.

This priority pick rule is a joke. Maybe we need to apply for one just because we still play like ESSINGTON sometimes. Any BS reason will do in fact.

GO BOMBERS!!!

Melbourne asking for a priority is evidence of bad governance, Ziggy is gonna tear that place apart...