Michael Warner Footyology Podcast

Involved with bikie mates.

Add chad Fletcher
Daniel chick
Adam Hunter
Daniel Kerr

At a minimum to the drug issues as well.

Daniel Chick is a next level flog.

1 Like

Who was the Australian journalist Finey alluded to.

1 Like

Patrick Smith

2 Likes

Great podcast - bought the book this afternoon @ Collins Moonee Ponds

I had completely forgotten about that ■■■■ stain

Fatprick Shmit

This is part of the problem. No one gives a toss how they behave until they themselves get farked by them in some way.

Even then, such is the parochialism involved, they are just as likely to cheer lead when someone else is under the blow torch.

What ■■■■■ me is that nothing in Warner’s book is anything new. the story has been out there for anyone who cares to pay attention for well over a decade now.

People don’t pay attention or they don’t care. They’d rather see that club they hate get a good kicking. Nothing will change.

That said I’ve had a few people close to me who couldn’t jump over themselves quick enough to kick Essendon and say all sorts of horrible things now acknowledging that things about that process were handled appallingly. I tried to tell them that at the time of course but they weren’t listening because they were too busy waiving their club’s scarf

20 Likes

All the people duped by the AFL orchestration to demonise decent people.
The AFL led, the media followed and were captured by the AFL

2 Likes

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

To be fair - roco & finey both toed the line until they couldn’t.
Now they have nothing left to lose.

6 Likes

I have to disagree with this.

Rohan generally stay away from writing about it, because he’s a football writer. He analyses games of football. But when he was forced to talk about it via talk back, he was very critical of the AFL & ASADA’s approach.

Since leaving the Age, he said that he had massive internal arguments with Wilson about the Age’s coverage of the saga… and he wasn’t the only one internally that was angry with the Age’s angle.

Finey constantly had a crack at Bartlett and Smith about their angles on the Saga… he was very critical of Kevin Bartlett’s show and the anti Essendon / pro-AFL angle they were pushing.

3 Likes

Fine was usually outspoken and provocative on SEN , true. He went pretty hard on his late night slot. I’ve a vague notion that someone mentioned my “media article” to him one night, lol . Unfortunately, I don’t think he was ever erudite enough to not be easily written off by those who didn’t want to listen to his views. And I’ve little doubt that the AFL forced Sen to get rid of him, as per Grant Thomas.

Connolly would sometimes voice veiled dismay at his Fairfax cohorts and others, and I think eventually he left The Age at least partially in protest, but he was never outright vociferous in his condemnation of Wilson et al. Even in the podcast he defended The Age’s “news” component of the coverage , and only expressed some reservation at certain opinion pieces.

5 Likes

MSM editors get to decide the articles printed and on what page.
Journalists have also let it be known that they don’t have any say on the headline - clickbait driven taking into account advert revenues from clickbait.
To give Tim Lane his due, when I challenged him on the factual errors in his judgments on Sharapova fessing up and Essendon players so called negligence in regard to WADA banned drugs, he did modify his stance. He realised he had been sold a pup that WADA had listed TB4.

5 Likes

When articles have been written about AFL house and their corruption… the football fan consensus is “say goodbye to your AFL media accreditation”…

I’ve seen Rohan dismiss the claim that the AFL would strip a journalist of his AFL media accreditation for criticising AFL house… which they have.

Not a fan of Jeff Kennett as he’s an old hawthorn mort… but if he somehow succeeds in getting an external review of the AFL and the commission then I will respect him greatly for that.

Someone’s gotta try do something about the “cronyism” as mick warner calls it.

7 Likes

In 2015 i wrote an article on James Hird as i was sick of the false coverage of his character. It was Rohan who got this article into The Age. It was acknowledged this would not be approved by the Sports editor at the time so Rohan got me involved in the Letters Editor at The Age who put it in the paper and online. Rohan was huge for me that week. Good friend today and not many more passionate Bomber fans wanting a club to be it’s best. The Age link to the story was removed after a week lol…but it was picked up also by Sydney Morning Herald. Link below

30 Likes

I used to listen to Finey’s late night show on SEN during the Saga and for about 3/4’s of the Saga he was passionately in our court until something happened( threatened with his job and told to tow the AFL line perhaps?) and he did a full 180 and started bagging out the club and Hird with such vehemance that I just had to stop listening to him.

RoCo also flip flopped on the subject so much ( doing his best Mike Sheahan impression) that I lost complete respect for him as a so called “journo”.

Mick Warner, Mick Ellis from Inside Football and Chip LeGrand were probably the most consistent in their reporting throughout the whole Saga even if some of their reporting wasn’t always favourable towards the club. I can respect these guys as they didn’t seem to be pushing any agendas apart from trying to get to the truth of the matter.

As for Finey and RoCo, there seems to be a bit of backpeddling from them way way after fact now.

12 Likes

Good bloke is Connolly, but I don’t know how he has it in him to argue with morons all day on twitter. How does it not exhaust him.

5 Likes

All three are investigative journalist.

They weren’t for or against anyone. They were venomous towards Essendon when they had to be, as they were the AFL.

But that’s what we wanted. We wanted balanced journalists who told the full story, without their opinion weaved through.

4 Likes

That’s true and I didn’t think that they were too bad in their criticism of the club or Hird when they did have a go at us, probably fair in their assessments at the time.