Michael Warner Footyology Podcast

This is my recollection too. I remember getting furious and switching him off. I took me awhile to warm to him again on their podcast.

4 Likes

Remember how Tracey Holmes and Hird were portrayed after her interview with him - her Qs and his responses were treated as irrelevant to the narrative.

7 Likes

Also, when Wilson was the Rage sport editor, the likes of Jon Pierek were hamstrung - he was freer in email exchanges.

1 Like

My view has always been that you can tell who Caroline Wilsons sources are, they are the people she does not criticize or write negative articles about.

2 Likes

Shes an absolute worm. She said her biggest regret of the essendon saga was wrongly reporting that james hird was about to be sacked. She had a source on the essendon board apparently that told her he was going to be sacked and the board decided against it but she put the article up early and it turned out being wrong.

So thats her biggest regret - putting out an article early and being wrong. Not brutally beragging the club, board, coaches and players putting them through years and years of pain and mental anguish that lead to someone attempting suicide and im sure other people dealing with depression or some kind of mental challenges from the saga. Pure scum in my opinion.

17 Likes

He does argue with morons on Twitter a lot.
Goes too hard sometimes for my liking.

This is not about Essendon, it’s a bit about the AFL’s commitment to our Indigenous Australians, Page 283 of the book.

Am paraphrasing here.

They sacked Chris Johnson as cost cutting exercise (Brisbane Lions) on the eve of Indigenous Round 2015, he was an Indigenous talent manager aimed at helping young Indigenous from across the country to fulfill their AFL dreams and learn to cope with demands of professional sport. He was being paid less than $100,000.

This bit is straight from the book.

'In November 2018 it was revealed repeated emails and phone calls to AFL staff regarding ongoing funding for AFL Indigenous Broadcasting, which beams games into Australia’s most remote communities via National Indigenous Radio Services, had gone unanswered.

The league had been encouraging the service to enter into a partnership with Craig Hutchinson’s company Crocmedia, controller of the AFL radio rights. :roll_eyes: :angry:

While the AFL trumpets its commitment to Indigenous Australians, Aboriginal leaders were shocked to discover in mid 2020 that the league had been operating without a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) - an organisation’s formal commitment to be more inclusive of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. It was revealed the league’s inaugural RAP had expired four years earlier had not been updated.’

I guess they were too busy to update.

Edit: the podcast was very good.

6 Likes

when i first read the title i though it was an podcast with our former full forward and post afl retirement firefighter. I get more dodgy as every year passes lol

1 Like

Remember the lawyer Steven J Peak who had a regular slot on Finey’s program during his Sen days ? He was always questioned about the Saga from a legal standpoint and his ongoing, consistent response was that there was never any solid evidence and he couldn’t see how A$$ ADA could prosecute.

10 Likes

I remember Peake was consistent in his position against the afl - even after Finey did an abrupt about face. I think both Rohan and Finey have freedom now to speak more openly about broader issues within the afl than when they were beholden to media bosses. That they venture outside the afl bubble to discuss matters concerning
society in general also pleases me… I have much admiration and respect for both men.
I’m glad that more ppl are starting to read Warner’s book… I read it a few weeks ago and when I raised it on BB only a couple of posters also had it.
On Gordon, imo he is a hypocrite… he seemed to be one of the boys when Essendon was being bullied by the afl but now he wants to cry foul. The other thing that concerns me is the assumption that the players were given peds… more should be said about there being no +ve tests despite numerous testing of players.
The Boys Club is a very good book and hopefully more ppl will read it.

2 Likes

TBH I doubted that Peake had a lot of expertise in this area on the basis of his quoted legal comments and I thought he was on a self promotion trip.

1 Like

Gordon’s hypocrisy extend to his work as a lawyer who supposedly represents the little people against the corrupt corporations. He’s a grub.

1 Like

Re the Talia brothers I laughed when Gordon said an article by SWWNBN was especially malicious and vitriolic.

He must have been living under a rock for a while.

7 Likes

Gordon was the mouthpiece, if not the driving force, for the threatened deregistration of the Essendon Football Club.
I wish him very specific ill-will, and he’s one of the reasons that I would at best be completely neutral if a club were to go under.
If I were not at my best, I’d say ‘good. What can I do to hasten their demise?’

16 Likes

Listened to the podcast. Great listen. Demetriou comes off terribly. How he still manages to get on Company Boards is beyond me. Proper Teflon flog.

2 Likes

Reports by those well placed to know, of how he pressured Crameri to say he had been given TB4, which would have given him a discount on his suspension

2 Likes

I consider that a far lesser crime.
However I did just have an involuntary eye twitch over how even under that pressure at the time, and in the years since despite most of the players being retired…Not One has come out and said, ‘yeah, it’s a fair cop. It was TB4.’
Not one.
No-one has even a slightly guilty conscience.
No-one has done a tell-all.

1 Like

Heard a bloke ring up Gerard Whateley on SEN last week to ask him about it.

Whiteley got very defensive. Said he hadn’t read it, hadn’t had the time since it came out.

It’s his job to be across it and as if he couldn’t have got an advance copy. Don’t think he has discussed it yet.

5 Likes

hADn’T hAd tHe tIME.

2 Likes

You can bet if it was about a ■■■■■■■ race horse the pages would be glued together within an hour of him laying his hands on it. Prick.

10 Likes