Mid Season Draft — Operation Replace Devon completed

shudders please shoot yourself dodorio.

the last time we went with that mentality we picked up david ■■■■■■■ myers over rioli, you know because we already had Davey, jetta and lovett.

2-4 years later we only had jetta rotting in the vfl cos his confidence was shot.

get the best players and just hope you don’t essington them the ■■■■ up.

2 Likes

I was talking about the 65kg part. That is very light. I think it would make him the lightest player in the AFL.

Tippa right? Walla likes Walla more.

How many half-back flanker today we draft??

1 Like

Fascinated to see how many picks we actually take

Could you imagine if we redrafted Jackson Merrett? LOL

2 Likes

if you have elite speed doesnt matter too much.

Brad Hill 78kg
Ian Hill 75kg
Brandon Matera 74kg
Liam Ryan 72kg
Sydney Stack 72kg
Ham 70kg
Liam Baker 69kg
Mosquito 63kg

You can only have a limited number of players that small before it becomes an issue. And imo it is already an issue for us. Frequently, we are exposed by one of our smalls being unable to compete man on man in a marking contest.

1 Like

Whatever happens we just have to hope TBell stays fit. Bringing in Grassy Knoll as a third (second?) ruck is insurance we hopefully don’t need. One midfielder could be handy. Tippa could turn out to be more than handy

1 Like

So when do we find out if we’re actually taking 3 picks?

It was earlier reported that St Kilda, don’t have a pick in the first round. Has this changed for some reason?

This draft was created with the intention of sides filling holes due to injury - our ruck hole a perfect example.

the reality is, smart clubs will use it to get a 6 month look / headstart on 19-22 year olds with upside. Players who would be going 30-70 in next years draft. It is a free hit on Sydney Stack type players. Massive ability but overlooked for other reasons.

We should be taking the two most talented players in the country with our first 2 picks - it is a $70k a pop punt instead of $500k for 2 year contract and usual expenses for a draftee.

Take a ruckman with number 3

6 Likes

I can’t see any reason not to take all 3 picks. Take a back up ruckman as near as possible to ready made (Knoll?), and then 2 of whatever is available that we think might be any good long term. No short term, quick plug and play mediocre types. Go for equivalents of Guelfi, young vfl/sanfl/wafl types who were overlooked in their draft year and who are playing good footy at the next level. I could live with Connellan or Lazzarro if we think there are no other options.
Whoever we take, it gives us the option of retaining them at end year without someone else getting them before us. If we don’t think they are worth keeping, no harm done.

6 Likes
  • One inside midfielder…a bull at the gate
  • One electrifying small forward
  • One mature age ruckman, who can step in
1 Like

I wonder whether clubs are uncomfortable with pulling a kid away from their club/home state/family etc for a speculative six month try-out…they may feel obliged to a longer commitment to the player in return for the upheaval…(eg. sounds like Coburg could get cleaned out of their best players)

But that isn’t an issue with Essendon VFL players. They don’t have to go anywhere. Their club being inconvenienced is us…

So I agree, give Lazzarro/Connellan and even Landt a go rather than leave unused picks.

CHF

3 Likes

Toppa

1 Like

Only until the davey boys arrive

you hope tbell stays fit at the expense of trying someone new for what reason exactly ??
to keep our finals hopes alive ?

If they pick up a ruckman, then might as well ■■■■■■■ play him and see what happens.
Maybe if they were willing to do that, we’d still have draper.

backup pfft, what’s the point of picking up back up in our situation.

I like Landt. I reckon he goes alright.

1 Like