Middle East Discussion

I can’t wait. @Bacchusfox I’m marrying a Jewish girl this year so she’s taking me to Israel next year - she has family there (her grandmother is actually Egyptian but not visiting there of course). My brother was just in Jerusalem and said it was life changing for him

1 Like

Must be the Israeli’s if it’s drone attacks and assassinations

Chip-gravier myself. The chip-tomato-saucers should be sent into battle without armour…and weapons.

And you!

That’s the cat calling the kettle black (just kidding @Alan_Noonan_10 you know I like you)

I know religion is politics, but no mention of Sunni vs Shia?

Shame!

1 Like

Don’t mention the War (the one with Iraq)

1 Like

United Nations disagree and have not declared Hamas a terrorist organisation, and neither have many other countries.

No winners in this Middle East conflict, both Palestinian and Israeli people are big losers.

1 Like

I was once in the middle of a gunfight between Sunni’s and Shi’ite’s in Karachi. Those guys really hate each other.

Who cares what the UN says in that situation.

There is no doubt that Hamas are a terrorist organisation.

Their entire history backs that up.

Turkey labels just about any Kurd organisation terrorist, including the ones backed by the West in Syria.
Iran internal repression falls most heavily on Kurds and the Kurdish region there. IDK whether that has been hit

LOL the same organisation that has the ME countries running their human rights groups. Hilarious.

Not what the UN says, but whether a decision or resolution has been passed by enough votes by UN members at UNGA or even UNSC.
In respect of UNGA resolutions, it’s up to a UN member whether to implement

Please elaborate…….you sound like the 007 of Blitz ……I want to hear more :muscle:

1 Like

Members get voted on Committees/Groups for fixed terms on a regional representative basis. Any of their reports have to get over the procedure hurdle to be on the agenda for UNGA deliberation by the 190+ members, then the next hurdle to secure a resolution on the UNGA agenda for a vote.
Most resolutions aren’t binding, but those who vote in favour could implement independently at the national level.

Just in case anyone cares for the facts on UN Human Rights Council membership and functions
Fact sheet 8 - Promoting and Protecting Human Rights in the UN

humanrights.gov.au

Membership of the Human Rights Council

ohchr.org

To note that the work on the ground of the UN Office of Human Rights Commissioner in Ukraine has been welcomed in documenting abuses.

1 Like

@IceTemple and @Bacchusfox ……I wasn’t aware that the UN doesn’t recognize Hamas as a terrorist group. I need to read more as Big A would agree with

I appreciate and acknowledge the amazing work done by the UN in Ukraine and the suspension of Russia from the UNHRC was a good move. However at a senior organizational level (based on resolutions passed) the UN seems to selectively support some causes over others. It’s this inconsistency of outcomes at the UN (because certain countries vote in blocks on many controversial issues) which always seems to be a head scratcher for me. For example:

How many resolutions has the UN passed condemning the treatment of Uyghurs in China ?

How many resolutions has the UN passed condemning the treatment of LGBTI people in countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Iran where they are publicly executed ?

How many resolutions has the UN passed condemning the treatment of women and girls in Iran and Afghanistan ?

Now I say that without really knowing the exact answer to these questions (except the Uyghurs question which I believe is zero). However my impression is it might be zero for all 3 questions. There will be much smarter Blitzers on here that will know the answer to these questions

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has a twitter account which anyone can read and follow.
Twitter account name is @HumanRights
In that account, concerns were expressed at both the killings of Israelis in Jerusalem and the killings of Palestinians in Jenin.

2 Likes

Can you tell me where you’ve got that from? I don’t claim to be an expert but I thought it was pretty well established that Israel was mandated approx 55% of British Palestine even before the 1948 war. After the 1968 war they occupied a significant part of the Sinai (plus Gaza which was occupied by Egypt) but I believe the Sinai was completely given back to Egypt once they recognised the Jewish state. I also believe the borders with Jordan were agreed as per the 1948 mandate. So even if you include all the West Bank, Gaza, Golan Heights & all of Jerusalem I’m not sure how you get close to 4 times the size.

2 Likes

Human rights Resolutions and Decisions of the UN Human Rights Council and UNGA are listed on the UN Human Rights site for those who want to know and are prepared to do their own research.
I post the site again

ohchr.org