Midfield Trade Targets

Can someone please tell me this about clearance stats…
Say an inside mid gets the ball in tight and send a quick handball out to another player who then kicks it forward…who gets credited with the clearance?

Cos we need that inside player getting the quick handball out… maybe just average contested possessions would be a better stay to go on?

1 Like

Couldn’t find a full season table, but up to round 21 we were ranked 16th for clearance differentials -

1 Like

It’s all a bit loose. I think a clearance is given to the player who gets the ball out of the nebulously defined stoppage area. So it may or may not be the player who gets the first possession at a stoppage.

Contested possessions include free kicks, contested marks, any possession from a hitout, any possession where the ball is in dispute (includes basically any time a player picks the ball up off the ground).

I think the in and under ball winner stat would be hard ball gets, which I don’t think anyone publishes.

His football ability.

None of the above are the answer imo. You need to think about how we move the ball and where stoppage clearances (ie ruck contests outside of centre goal & quarter bounces) occur.
we go down the guts at every opportunity, never the line= not many boundary throwins. Not many stoppage clearances (or stoppage clearances conceded: 3rd fewest conceded, so it’s not just that we’re losing stoppage clearances, we’re just avoiding those situations in the game)

2 Likes

Not suggesting he is available or that we are interested.

But what happened to Will Brodie this year?

2 Likes

With clearances, like with any other stat, they are an indication only and pretty useless if not used in context. For example we let the opposition win far to many clean unpressured clearances. There have been patches in games where we just let them run the ball out of the center time and time again with no pressure what so ever. I think this is mainly caused by our lack of speed in the middle and why we often have fanta or tippa running in off the flanks which has helped at times.

If the op wins the clearances but we have put enough pressure on most of them thats ok. Especially if we have won more clean ones our way. What matters in clearances is how the ball was used, if the ball carrier is under enough pressure more often then not the players up the field at least have a chance to make a 50/50 contest.

Id like to see a stat called clean takeaways or something similar.

We need both in and under big body mids, and mids with speed that can put pressure on. The likes of Parish and MCG will make a big difference in the later area. Getting the ballance right is a challenge and something we have not done well this year.

1 Like

Broke my heart and re-signed to GC for 4 years. He’s the bloke we needed to replace Watson.

Lot of talk about Matthew Kennedy, what are peoples thoughts on Jesse Lonergan at Gold Coast? He is a midfield bull and reckon he is a decent extractor. Would suit us perfectly and would come cheap in my opinion.

1 Like

I really liked him in his draft year but he seems to have turned out to be very similar to his uncle.

2 Likes

Carbon copy really, an inside mid that cant get over 20 possessions. Just doesn’t seem to have improved either.

1 Like

Midfield bull

MITCH HONEYCHURCH - looks like we enquired last time around…

Add CHRISTIAN SALEM to that list

I thought Salem finally started coming good this year. I guess if they’re looking for currency to get Lever it makes some sense, but they’d still be selling low.

He’s one of Robert Shaw’s boys isn’t he?

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Salem.

I would think he holds pretty strong value though so I would be surprised if we got into the details with him.

It’s a witch hunt, I tell you.

11 Likes

Played footy with Salems brother. The family bleeds red and black. Christian was a huge Essendon fan before being drafted by the Dees

9 Likes

Can he play midfield?

6 Likes