Midlife Crisis

At 40 I left my own business. I’d been doing the same thing for 15 years.

I didn’t sell it but left it to others to run and moved to Darwin.

I always thought it was something I couldn’t do and tbh wasn’t something I wanted to do but I ended up loving it.
The wife worked and I coached the local footy team, took odd jobs and was a stay at home dad.

I was there for 2 years and It was the best thing I’ve ever done.

Now I am back in Melbourne running my business again but with a much better balance in life.

So my point is just go for it. Take some time out and discover something else. You might discover you love what you do. I did.

5 Likes

Then seriously look into what the training is and whether you are any good at it. He has never been happier: doesn’t sit in front of comp all day, doesn’t have to listen to idiots all day, can work with others or work by himself.

1 Like

Misspells lycra

4 Likes

After leaving school at 15 and being in the rail industry for 35 years I took a voluntary redundancy xmas 2016…after spending the last months travelling relaxing riding my push bike it was time to get back into the workforce…
It took me few months to get my head around the whole interview process but I finally embraced the system so to speak.

I go back into the workforce next week in a a completely different industry where I can use my experience skillset to the new company’s advantage.

I was scared shitless to begin with but once you do it you’ll feel so much better for it

Good luck with the direction you choose.

Get rid of the ties. makes work so much better.

5 Likes

Assassin.

Start with Abbott, Andrews, Bernardi, Rudd, Christensen, Hanson and Shorten and get back to me.

If you try Dutton, I’d reckon you should use silver bullets. In my opinion, he’s one of the undead.

3 Likes

Pierce your ear, nose and eyebrow. Buy a Harley. Grow a mullet and dye it blonde.
Use up all your savings on young women.

Mid life crisis complete.

4 Likes

Oh…I forgot to add…tribal tattoo’s

2 Likes

I did all of that, only a Saab convertible.

Except for the piercings, tattoos, mullet, dye and had a life membership at the Mens Gallery.

Didn’t last that long.

1 Like

Was an accountant for 15 years, my brother in law and aeronautical engineer (worked at Boeing)

6 years ago he took over his dads family business. 2 years ago I joined him. Complete career change but gave me a decent work-life balance

1 Like

Im scared of needles so the piercings and tatoo’s were off the table. Have inherited the male pattern baldness gene so the mullet was out also.
Too many kids ment I couldnt afford the Harley or convertable.

I just became a TAFE teacher instead.

2 Likes

Blitz has been in one long mid-life crisis since it came into existence. It won’t be recognisable after the 2018 Grand Final.

3 Likes

I did a digital marketing course at chisholm but I want to do Ecommerce specifically. where did you do your course? Ive helped my partner with her psychology website but would love to run my own ecommerce site(s)

I took a 12 month break from the Optometry industry for thw same reason and bought a management rights business with the wife. My role was property maintenance and landscaping. I’m not particularly handy but google is great. Bought a heap of work related power tools too which was super.

We sold in the end because it was too much with 2 under 4 years old, but it was a nice change. Back in the Optometry game but in sales which is great .

Also bought a commercial laundry because it was going cheap (relatively) because the guy was as crooked as a dogs hind leg. Didn’t last long thoigh because it burnt down after 2 weeks. Surprisingly insurance made it all worthwhile.

Not sure what the point of the story is though.

6 Likes

Probably to take the lint out of the dryer.

16 Likes

Well Allblack, my better half and I sold our business of 11-plus years, and the house, and pretty much everything we owned. Took the kids across the ditch to Canada-(the wife is Canadian)- and have re-settled in BC. Now after all that, trying to find a job at 51 in another country after not working for a “boss” for almost 20 years- I was ■■■■■■ petrified! But, we’ve settled, and I’m working as a rep for a coffee company and loving it. Home at night for the kids, and no weekends. The life balance is so much more in our favor its not funny.
I guess what I’m trying to say is take a punt before you miss out. 42 is still young, and it may end up being the great adventure you never thought you and the family might ever have. Just don’t get to your mid-50’s and find you’ve become a “should-a”. Good luck mate.

6 Likes

Not prepared to make a spectacle of yourself? Or to focus on something that lens itself to a better lifestyle?

2 Likes

Lol. You’re thinking too small.

Spontaneous combustion of the stacks of linen on a hot summers day. 3 separate forensic investigation teams to ensure it wasn’t an insurance job. Paid us out well because starting us again would have been very expensive.

1 Like

I know it’s adding to your busy life rather than taking away but I’d suggest looking into something in the not-for-profit sector where you might be able to join their board. It’s amazing how having really diverse people in governance of ‘caring’ organisations can help. Also, you could find out quickly if you have something to offer the world in a similar type employed position.

I’m now running one if you’d like to investigate more.

2 Likes