Minks stoner rock album reviews & Upcoming related gigs

Artist: King Buzzo

Album: This Machine Kills Artists

Year: 2014

Genres: Acoustic/Stoner/Grunge

Rating: 8.3

Summary: Creative, eerie, acoustic, powerful, ecclectic. This album is an acoustic guitar with King Buzzo singing along. The riffing is incredible and creative and seductive. A grunge feel to it but clean and crisp whist still having a full sound. A masterpiece from a legend which will keep your attention and focus the entire way.

286022-emp.jpg

Artist: The Graviators

Album: Motherload

Genres: Stoner/Classic/Progressive

Rating: 8.5

Sounds like: Graveyard, Black Sabbath, Radio Moscow

Summary: Wow! a great new find that mixes elements of Sabbath with a good classic 70s rock feel. Amazing solos throughout the album and the epic long tracks are to die for. There are some great melodic bits which lead into fast paced riffing of high quality. This is one album not to be forgotten.

p18edqk3h811ag1v87ilkre2g1r4.jpg

1 Like

Cool, thanks, I will check these out.

Random question, what do you think of Jack White? I don't mind Blunderbuss but I don't rate it (or him) as hugely influential like he keeps getting pegged.

Wanna do a review of his latest - Lazarretto - or is this just for MML ("Music Mink Likes)?

I LOVE Jack White. he is as close to the white Jimi Hendrix as anyone has been. creativity with the guitar is incredible and he has stage presense and is suave as ■■■■ in a weird way.

His first solo album was better than Lazarretto. Ive listened to it a couple of times and id probably give it in the 7 range. decent but not great. 

I love the white stripes. i think he is a little over hyped in the sense that his solo work is not comparable with White Stripes for the most part, but you cannot doubt his abilities with that instrument.

most of these reviews will be of the stoner / desert / bluesy / psychedelic / classic rock genres.... ive started a spreadsheet with my friend and we are trying to review as many albums of these genres as possible and i thought id share them! some are old albums, some are new, its whatever i feel like listening to at the time.

most of these reviews will be of the stoner / desert / bluesy / psychedelic / classic rock genres.... ive started a spreadsheet with my friend and we are trying to review as many albums of these genres as possible and i thought id share them! some are old albums, some are new, its whatever i feel like listening to at the time.

Cool. I look forward to seeing some Kyuss reviews then.

for sure!

Artist: Clamfight

Album: Volume 1

Year: 2008

Genres: Stoner/Metal

Rating: 8.4

Sounds like: The Sword, Orange Goblin

SummaryHeavy metal based riffs but with stoner melodic parts and stoner style chord progressions. kicks hard and brutal with a raspy voice that suits the guitar. Solid solos as well. A metal version of psychedelic music. The first 4 songs are hard to split and show the diversity of the band.

MI0003026876.jpg

Artist: Kyuss

Album: Wretch

Year: 1991

Genres: Stoner/Desert

Rating: 8.8

Sounds like: Kyuss

SummaryWhere it all began. The stoner lords bust onto the scene with this heavy assault on your ears. By the time you hit 'Son of a ■■■■■' at track 3, you suddenly remember how much these guys changed the game. Heavy riffing downtuned is the trademark of Kyuss as well as the strong classic stoner vocals from Garcia. I'm Not and The Law are timeless classics as well.

Kyuss_Wretch.jpg

1 Like

Artist: Truckfighters

Album: Gravity X

Year: 2005

Genres: Stoner/Desert/Psychedelic

Rating: 9.8

Sounds like: Truckfighters/Kyuss

SummaryPowerful yet melodic in parts. Really tight and a very punchy sound rather than being a bit grainy & muddled that lesser Stoner rock bands produce. Vocals vary nicely with songs and has hints of blues and psychedelic stuff in there without being dominant. 

An absolute classic and best of the class.
Top songs:
- Desert Cruiser
- Manhattan Project
- Momentum
- Altered State

gravity_x.jpg

Artist: King Buzzo
Album: This Machine Kills Artists
Genres: Acoustic/Stoner/Grunge
Rating: 8.3
Summary: Creative, eerie, acoustic, powerful, ecclectic. This album is an acoustic guitar with King Buzzo singing along. The riffing is incredible and creative and seductive. A grunge feel to it but clean and crisp whist still having a full sound. A masterpiece from a legend which will keep your attention and focus the entire way.
286022-emp.jpg

Great review!
However.
How does one combine "stoner" and "attention and focus" in the same context??

by using stoner mixed with grunge chord styles and progressions but doing so with an acoustic twang that is unique and ever changing ;)

these reviews are also more like trying to create the ability for someone to read it and consider whether they might like that mix enough to listen to it. its a descriptive analysis of the sound rather than a classic style review.

Ozzy doesn’t get a mention?

These are awesome Mink.

Artist: Acid King
Album: III
Year: 2005
Genres: Doom/Sludge/Psychedelic
Rating: 7

Sounds like: Dead Meadow, Melvins, Asteroid
SummaryClassic doom sound with a touch of a bluesy edge that keeps it interesting. Whilst doomy in nature, they remain clean as not to completely muffle down your palate. Definitely a quality doom/sludge band which is not always easy to find.

ss-054.jpg

The Graviators album cover is genius!

How about zeppelins re released first four albums,gold

Nice thread Mink, haven't heard much stoner rock before but I listen to most things so I'll check these out. Listing what you believe to be the standout tracks (like with the Truckfighters album) would also be handy.

Monster Magnet FTW