Minks stoner rock album reviews & Upcoming related gigs

be good if you have a listen to provide your feedback too! then ill keep going with it and i get to hear others thoughts on stuff too :)

I completely understand mink, I will listen to that Graviators album, I have a good feeling about it.

Artist: Kyuss
Album: Blues for the Red Sun
Year: 1992
Genres: Stoner/Desert/Psychedelic
Rating: 9.6

Sounds like: Kyuss
SummaryA mammoth album full of epic riffing, the introduction of stoner melodic sectioning and just an array of killer tracks. This is one of the benchmark albums in the genre. Downtuned floaty guitar of course. Classic tracks include "50 Million Year Trip" which has the original melodic stoner section in it, "Green Machine" and "Thumb" which smash you from the start of the album and of course the wailing beauty of "Writhe". An epic.

1893894.jpg

SummaryA mammoth album full of epic riffing, the introduction of stoner melodic sectioning and just an array of killer tracks. This is one of the benchmark albums in the genre. Downtuned floaty guitar of course. Classic tracks include "50 Million Year Trip" which has the original melodic stoner section in it, "Green Machine" and "Thumb" which smash you from the start of the album and of course the wailing beauty of "Writhe". An epic.

1893894.jpg

i dont listen to a lot of this genre much anymore but always still give this album a spin. Takes me back to being 16 again, and some what stoned.

agree 100% with the review.

1893894.jpg

I'm only previously familiar with Welcome to Sky Valley. Listening to the title track on this one (Blues for the Red Sun), and yep, sounds like Kyuss, good stuff.

Im using itunes radio so I generally get one song from the band Im chasing then it goes off onto other stuff... (e.g. next song is No one loves me & ... - Them Crooked Vultures, then Godzilla - Fu Manchu... )

Artist: King Buzzo

Album: This Machine Kills Artists

Year: 2014

Genres: Acoustic/Stoner/Grunge

Rating: 8.3

Summary: Creative, eerie, acoustic, powerful, ecclectic. This album is an acoustic guitar with King Buzzo singing along. The riffing is incredible and creative and seductive. A grunge feel to it but clean and crisp whist still having a full sound. A masterpiece from a legend which will keep your attention and focus the entire way.

286022-emp.jpg

I love this kind of accoustic guitar sound, kind of reminds me a bit of of The Days of The New with their track Touch Peel and Stand.

Think I'll DL the album so I can listen to it properly.

Artist: The Graviators

Album: Motherload

Genres: Stoner/Classic/Progressive

Rating: 8.5

Sounds like: Graveyard, Black Sabbath, Radio Moscow

Summary: Wow! a great new find that mixes elements of Sabbath with a good classic 70s rock feel. Amazing solos throughout the album and the epic long tracks are to die for. There are some great melodic bits which lead into fast paced riffing of high quality. This is one album not to be forgotten.

p18edqk3h811ag1v87ilkre2g1r4.jpg

Yeah this is cool, definitely reminds me of Sabbath, crossed with Wolfmother. Sounds like it could have been produced in the 70's/80's though...authentic retro if you will... and I've only listened to Storm of Creation so far...

Seems like the whole album is there to listen to on grooveshark, for those not sure how to get hold of these albums ... http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=graviators

ive moved from grooveshark to Spotify and use premium now. being able to sync albums to your phone and then just change them each day is extremely handy!

i bought the single touch peel and stand at brashs for a dollar once.

i reckon the two longest songs on the graviators album are the best! expecially the last song. just epic!

ive moved from grooveshark to Spotify and use premium now. being able to sync albums to your phone and then just change them each day is extremely handy!

i bought the single touch peel and stand at brashs for a dollar once.

i reckon the two longest songs on the graviators album are the best! expecially the last song. just epic!

I just finished Mountain Man now, which is just under 8 mins, there's a lot going on in that song, good stuff.

I was enquiring in the "Everybody elses Latest" thread about music subscriptions, I reckon spotify might be the way to go. Being able to DL it is important.

Grooveshark is pretty darn handy though while Im at my desk at work. It didn't have King Buzzo though (just a Melvins EP)

Edit: I realise King Buzzo is from The Melvins, it seemed like different tracks, artwork etc...

yeah its a solo album. 

definitely spotify! good recommendations too.

mountain man isnt on the album i reviewed.

Lost Lord & Druid's Ritual are the 2 long ones i was talking about.

I must have been listening to their self titled album. Highly recommended.

Yeah grooveshark seems to have a few holes in this genre...

Artist: Valley of the Sun
AlbumThe Sayings of the Seers
Year: 2011
Rating: 8.5

Sounds like: Kyuss/Truckfighters
SummaryFast paced and attacking, this EP has a bit of it all. Good stoner style vocals it has good transitions and solid drumming in support. The song structures are really classy and the melodic bits where included are top notch. A really really good EP.

All good songs. "Aquarius" has a beautiful melodic section and "Riding the Dunes" is a fantastic song to come after that and finish with a bang.

valley-of-the-sun-the-saying-of-the-seer

Artist: Maniacs On Wheels
AlbumManiacs On Wheels
Genres: Hard/Biker/Stoner
Rating: 6

Sounds like: Motorhead/Orange Goblin
SummaryVery much a biker rock kinda feel to it with fuzz and a lot of wah wah in the guitar. Bites heavy and the vocals are talented even if not my exact cup of tea. They call themselves stoner but they are a bit too clean and lacking of the distinctive stoner sound for me.

2rca8wg.jpg

Define stoner.

Define stoner.

Stoner rock or stoner metal[1] is a musical subgenre which combines elements of traditional heavy metal,[2][3] psychedelic rockblues rockacid rock, and doom metal. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo and features a heavily distorted, groove laden bass-heavy sound,[4] melodic vocals, and "retro" production.[5] The genre emerged during the early 1990s and was pioneered foremost by the Californian bands Kyuss[6] andSleep.[7]

The descriptor "stoner rock" may originate from the title of the 1997 Roadrunner Records compilation Burn One Up! Music for StonersDesert rock is also used interchangeably as a descriptor, and was coined by a MeteorCity Records intern, around the time the label released the 1998 stoner rock compilation Welcome to MeteorCity.[8]

Due to the similarities between stoner and sludge metal, there is often a crossover between the two genres. This hybrid has traits of both styles,[9][10] but lacks stoner metal's somewhat uplifting atmosphere and its usage of psychedelia. Bands such as Bongzilla,[11]Weedeater,[12] High on Fire[13][14] and Electric Wizard creatively fuse both styles.[15]

to me the best description is that Kyuss is stoner rock

Queens of the stone age (more so early stuff) are desert rock

Doom to me is stoner rock at a 'lower frequency' and a bit more metal in it but not really clean metal

sludge is The Melvins

if you were to put the genres in an order from 'a guitar sitting next to an amp giving off distortion' to 'clean classic rock'

it would go:

Distorted amp > Doom > Sludge > Stoner > Desert > Classic Rock

Yes ive skipped a few genres in there and things like psychedelic can be applied to most of these genres. my genres listed for each album try to convey where the intersection is for me when i listen to it. what elements it combines to create its sound. the bands i list as being 'sounds like' then overlay those intersections with a known element that hopefully helps people start to understand the sound of the album without listening to it, over time by reading my 'reviews' my description just tries to build on those 2 bits of information.

to me the best description is that Kyuss is stoner rock

Queens of the stone age (more so early stuff) are desert rock

Doom to me is stoner rock at a 'lower frequency' and a bit more metal in it but not really clean metal

sludge is The Melvins

if you were to put the genres in an order from 'a guitar sitting next to an amp giving off distortion' to 'clean classic rock'

it would go:

Distorted amp > Doom > Sludge > Stoner > Desert > Classic Rock

Yes ive skipped a few genres in there and things like psychedelic can be applied to most of these genres. my genres listed for each album try to convey where the intersection is for me when i listen to it. what elements it combines to create its sound. the bands i list as being 'sounds like' then overlay those intersections with a known element that hopefully helps people start to understand the sound of the album without listening to it, over time by reading my 'reviews' my description just tries to build on those 2 bits of information.

It's definitely more of a 'vibe' than a definition when trying to encompass a genre. You can basically pick a single song and say "this epitomises the sound Im talking about" but you'll only find trace elements of it in other songs, other albums, other bands etc.

'Stoner' is a movie genre too but Cheech & Chong Up in Smoke, Dazed & Confused, Pineapple Express are all part of that genre yet completely different. Pulp Fiction has stoner elements to it yet is completely different again. But they all have that trippy/stoner aspect to them.

I was (still am) a huge fan of Tumbleweed, who are probably more psychadellic than stoner due to the amount of fuzz they use, a lot of their best tracks are pretty upbeat too. Their album Galactaphonic is probably their best IMO, still makes great listening even today.

Artist: The Graviators
AlbumThe Graviators
Year: 2009
Genres: Stoner/Doom
Rating: 8.2

Sounds like: Black Sabbath/The Melvins/Fu Manchu
SummaryDebut album with heavy fuzzy riffs and lots of them. There is a bit of variation in there which made it difficult to pinpoint genres but the general feel of the album is one of quality, aggression, effort & that good stoner rawness. A real solid album! Best tracks: "Keep 'em Coming", the epic "Juggernaut", "Shapes of Babylon" has a great second half solo and the Truckfighters like "Roller". Which is the highest of compliments.

The_Graviators_Cover.jpg

1 Like

Artist: Damn the Gods
Album: Through Darkness Comes Light
Genres: Stoner/Metal/Doom
Rating: 6.2

Sounds like: The Sword/Red Fang
Summary: For a extremely unknown band they have some skills. Mix between metal/stoner rock really without really delving into either. They arent a real technically great band but it was still a decent listen and the vocals are decent . Drummer has a bit of game. Good effort.

2ciee00.jpg

Needs more Melvins.

Are tumbleweed the closest we get to stoner rock?