Minks stoner rock album reviews & Upcoming related gigs

Balero

fan of Skraeckoedlan Mink?

dont know them. added them to my list. long long list.

dont know them. added them to my list. long long list.

Swedish stoner metal band. I really like them .

swedish? just got bumped up the list to right now.

bit of a taste

http://youtu.be/iTXjkQ5ALJQ

ahh yeah thats not half bad! i got interrupted half way through though ill have to try it again soon.

Artist: The Graviators

Album: Motherload

Year: 2014

Genres: Stoner/Classic/Progressive

Rating: 8.5

Sounds like: Graveyard, Black Sabbath, Radio Moscow

Summary: Wow! a great new find that mixes elements of Sabbath with a good classic 70s rock feel. Amazing solos throughout the album and the epic long tracks are to die for. There are some great melodic bits which lead into fast paced riffing of high quality. This is one album not to be forgotten.

p18edqk3h811ag1v87ilkre2g1r4.jpg

Thanks for the preview...just been listening to this and love it so onto ebay and bought it straight away :)

You probably already know these, but in case you don't, check out Electric Wizard, Sleep, Sasquatch, and Halfway to Gone.

Artist - Monster magnet

Album - Spine of God

Year - 1991

Genre - Stoner rock, psychedelic

(Sorry I’m on iPad so I’ve cut and pasted other reviews)

This is a truly epic album, all genres aside, but at its heart it is Seminal stoner rock.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1545/

Imagine what kind of music the (un)holy trinity of Sabbath, The MC5 & Hawkwind would make blended together

No, in fact, don‘t imagine it - just get hold of this album.

The full influences behind Monster Magnet are more complex - psychedelia and rock/metal excess sit side by side in a way no other MM album manages, or few other bands manage come to that. True, it‘s a ■■■■■■-up, dark psychedelic, more Manson than Floyd, but it works.

Crucial to their early sound is guitarist John McBain who co-wrote a third of ‘Spine‘ in addition to co-production, but more about his genius later.

First off, what DO you make of an album that proudly states on the back sleeve ‘It‘s A Satanic Drug Thing - You Wouldn‘t Understand‘??? Secondly, what to make of an album that opens with a song most others would end with?

A 30 second speaker to speaker drum intro leads into the crushing sludge-riff of ‘Pill Shovel‘. The mix of McBain‘s guitar and Wyndorf‘s psyched vocals is the blueprint - excessive for the most part, but capable of subtleties that make it well worth the listening. Stick with it, as the term Stoner-Rock could have been invented for this lot.

Artist - Monster Magnet

Album - Tab (or Tab 25)

Year - 1991 ( recorded prior to the album Spine of God, but released after)

Genre - Stoner, space rock. Be patient, it’s a creeper, There are just three songs on this album, the first 30 minutes long, the second - 15, and the third just 3.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/tab25-mw0000403965

Tab…25 for many remains the high point of Monster Magnet as extreme downer psych/space rock. For good reason as well, thanks to the over half-hour-long title track that takes up the bulk of the space on the disc. Finding a perfectly steady head-nodder of a groove that wouldn’t sound out of place at all on a Loop album, say, and with extremely strung-out guitar soloing madness to boot, “Tab…25” sounds exactly like the nightmarish orange-eye image on the back cover looks: weird, alien, and not quite in control of itself. Dave Wyndorf’s singing consists mostly of the occasional wordless wail and slurred vocal, often treated with as much delay and flanging as the guitars themselves, though his one spoken-word break, however slightly inaudible, provides a bit of a rock to cling to amid the slow-grind chaos. Even more feedback and noise gets added as it goes, and while for some listeners patience will be tested, as a massive epic it just can’t be beaten.

nice reviewing!!!

listening to Spine of God now. i havnt heard it for a fair while and never really gave it too many goes.

Artist: Black Space Riders

Album: D:REI

Genres: Progressive/Stoner/Desert

Rating: 8.5

Sounds like: Orange Goblin, Melvins, Fu Manchu, Baroness

Summary: A double album of Melodic and groovy nature while at the same time possessing an extremely awesome heaviness factor. The vocals are strong and whilst its hard to nail down the genres for this band, its all reasonably appealing. Some of it is really good too. there is a really intellectual mix of styles in this.

Black-Space-Riders-Cover-2014.jpg

ArtistIl Malpertugio

AlbumDemonios

Genres: Desert/Stoner/Progressive

Rating: 6.5

Sounds like: Kyuss, Witch, Dio

Summary: Punchy and technical desert rock at a high level. the vocals are a bit loud and Dio sounding but the instruments are played at such a high level and with quality riffs that it doesnt really matter too much, you just want to hear the guitar louder sometimes! First song is instrumental and smacks you right in the face. Loose tuning gives the Kyuss feeling to some parts but has more technical solos than most of what Kyuss did. Child of the Clouds is one of the weirdest things ive heard.

286zjba.jpg

Artist: Black Titan

Album: Black Titan

Genres: Progressive/Stoner/Doom

Rating: 6.8

Sounds like: Melvins, Acid King

Summary: A 4 tracker that is quite skillful and a good interesting mix. Each song has a different feel and its hard to pinpoint their exact sound. I would say they have some doom elements in there and also one track, 'Strangled' has some blues feel. The final track 'YODO' is a long one gets down with some good riffing and solo efforts. Some bits are trying to sound sabbath like in riffing but more towards that doom sound i mentioned earlier. interesting!

ei4nbr.jpg

Ha!

Great thread mate.

I only just stumbled across it.

Keep up the good work!

Artist: King Dead
Album: King Dead
Genres: Sludge/Progressive/Doom
Rating: 6.7

Sounds like: Melvins, Acid King, Pelican
Summary: Like taking a walk through a graveyard. at midnight. in the middle of the desert. Thats how id describe the second track " As One Plows and Breaks up the Earth, so Our Bones Have Been Scattered at the Mouth of the Grave". This sludge based band progresses well and shows some good skills without overdoing aspects of their sound. Tempos are built well, assorted distortions are interesting. An instrumental band but one with a bit of style and solid building of songs.

2m4yddw.jpg

God damn. the people on this forum are insanely cool. Mink. theres a bunch of local melbourne bands you would love too. if you havent already, check out DEAD, Clagg and Wicked City

Artist: Causa Sui
Album: Free Ride
Year: 2007
Genres: Psychedelic, Alternative, Stoner, Classic
Rating: 8.3

Sounds like: Led Zeppelin, Graveyard, Radio Moscow
Summary: A journey deep into a psychedelic world one moment only to be dragged out by a grooved out Graveyard style blues riff with Sabbath drumming. A comlimentary voice is such a good addition to these styles of music. Kyuss like tuning sometimes and great song construction. Passing Breeze is a brilliant epic song and the 15 minute monster "Newborn Road" will make you lose yourself and has a bit of a classic Smashing Pumkins "soma"/"silverfark" feel.

cover_5816182172009.jpg