Miscellaneous VFLWomen comments and articles

Is she related to Jai?
There was a young Dandenong Stingrays lad by the name of Jai Nanscawen who signed for Centrals in the SANFL but returned home before the season when Covid kicked off.
Any idea if he is related and if our VFL side is after him?

To quote myself after her first game for us:

Veteran Hockeyroo 43 Georgia Nanscawen was really good forward and mid, and that’s before considering she only started playing footy in 2018! Looks a bit like a trim Mackrill (minus the overt aggro). Dunno if Norf AFLW were sane in cutting her after one season.

EDIT: per the replay, Nanscawen got a STACK of the ball. Her kicking is a bit wonky but she still has decent range. Moves with a low centre of gravity, like Wanganeen. Was our BOG, and second only to Casey’s effin’ Jakobsson.

1 Like

Sorry Ace, no idea. The family are all from Essendon way.

Darebin had a practice match versus Willy last week and invited people to come.

Hoping I don’t have to rely on their invite for next week, too.

Probable, but thats okay as the EWN will get notifed and anyone with the VFLW won’t.

@theDJR,

So can folks just wander along for a look ( scan QR code ? ) or do you need to be ‘invited’?

When I say “invite” I mean they posted publicly on Facebook encouraging people to come watch them.

(Was at Latrobe College Bundoora – hope we get that rather than Tulla!)

1 Like

I will get along then if it’s played @ Bundoora.

Watching through the fence on Melrose Drive, ah no.

Any development on the location/time of the possible praccy match this Sunday? Are we allowed to go?

@Catherine_Lio

@theDJR i don’t think we are going to get any details.

I’m guessing it will be from, or shortly after, 12noon at AH Capp Reserve, given that’s the end time for Darebin’s community day event.

Last match Darebin posted game details the day before.

(I have sent an email enquiry to the EFC.)

1 Like

At 10am this morning, I was told the match was happening at Tulla. They didn’t say what time, just not allowed to attend.

No, I don’t understand why Darebin would agree to that scheduling…

Facebook have nuked our and the Darebin Falcon’s pages from orbit.

It was the only way to be sure.

Apparently Port Melbourne VFLM too

Yeah, and our VFLM.

Not sure if they nuked our AFL account, but we bothered to get that reinstated.

Our AFL is okay but I just saw that Coburg is okay and they have stolen Eloise Gardner from us.

Well, it’s not a loss in the sense that she never played a game for us…

Didn’t she fit into the category of ‘developing’ key position player?

Essendon announce the game 40 hours after it happens. Thanks.

Season proper starts next weekend and they’re hoping to announce the fixture before then…

Captain Georgia Nanscawen (left) and Simone Nalder look on during Thursday night’s practice match against Darebin at the NEC Hangar. (Photo: Kate Heath)

After a long wait between games, Essendon VFLW has resumed in stunning fashion with a 60-point win in a practice match against Darebin Falcons under lights at the NEC Hangar on Thursday night.

The Bombers came out firing in their first game in over a year, defeating the Falcons 78-18 on the eve of the 2021 VFLW season.

Former Melbourne, Geelong and Fremantle AFLW player Mia-Rae Clifford starred with five goals, while Monique DeMatteo and Marianna Anthony kicked two each.

Mia-Rae Clifford starred with a game-high five goals. (Photo: Kate Heath)

Head coach Brendan Major, who is heading into his third season at the helm, was impressed with the cohesion of the group and the way they implemented their strategies in their first hitout.

“We managed to implement some of the things that we have been practising this pre-season,” Major said.

“They have adopted the things we have been working on at training and the way we have been trying to move the ball. We are really happy with the overall team performance.”

Major attributed the Bombers’ quality of play to the hard work the players put in away from the club during a cancelled 2020 season, and the club’s ability to retain a core group from the 2019 season.

New captain and reigning best and fairest Georgia Nanscawen played the majority of the game in the midfield and lead from the front.

The former Hockeyroo and North Melbourne AFLW player gained the first clearance, setting up the forwards early to establish the tone for the rest of the game.

Major said Nanscawen, along with fellow leadership group members Courtney Ugle (vice-captain), Kendra Heil , Clifford and Eloise Ashley-Cooper , provided great direction.

“Georgia is very much a lead-by-example type of person and played most of the game last night in the midfield. She was very instrumental early and set the tone for the rest of the group,” he said.

“Courtney got thrown around a little bit but performed well in multiple roles. Mia-Rae and Kendra also performed really well in their respective roles.

“In terms of their leadership around the group, it has always been exemplary which is why they were voted in.”

Newcomer Jessie Davies , who played for Western Bulldogs in the AFLW, was another who impressed Major with her ability to cover the ground and provide direction to her teammates.

“(Jessie) covered about eight-and-a-half kilometres throughout the game and set us up very well. She gave really good direction and voice,” he said.

“The stats sheet might not reflect an overly influential game but for the way we want to play and set up, she was fantastic. To have that kind of experience coming into our team this year is going to be beneficial for us.”

Davies is one of five players on the VFLW Bombers’ list with AFLW experience, alongside Clifford, Heil, Nanscawen and Cecilia McIntosh.

The experienced quintet will support a youthful squad in 2021, with a host of youngsters already making a big impression on Major.

Eloise Ashley-Cooper , Alana Barba and Felicity Theodore performed well on Thursday night. They are exciting prospects for us, especially so early on in the year. They have all had good pre-seasons,” he said.

“We have a really good crop of young players coming through and although they aren’t experienced, Libby Hosking , Marianna Anthony and Emma Mackay are all really good outside players with genuine speed and flare.”

Looking ahead to the 2021 VFLW season, Major acknowledged there were a lot of unknowns heading into the season due to list changes and limited opportunities for match practice, but said Thursday night’s practice match had instilled confidence and excitement within the coaching staff.

“They (coaches) have taken ownership of the way we want to play, and I am very excited about where the group is at,” he said.

“I can see a lot of growth and development from the last two years.”

The Bombers were without Nicole Julian and Natalie McDonald (injured) on Thursday night and hope to welcome the pair back for round one.

The VFLW draw is expected to be announced in the coming days with the season due to start next weekend.

2 Likes

Both clubs have got their Facebook sites back but for some reason the Falcons haven’t mentioned this match :slight_smile:

Pretty sure we haven’t had a five goal individual haul before.

1 Like