Miscellaneous VFLWomen comments and articles

Don’t suppose it’s up as a Replay anywhere is it? :thinking:

Fark! Standing on the side of the road, it seems… hopefully they play on the main oval, stuff those trees.

2 Likes

Due to Covid-19 and the week-by-week AFLW Fixture, the VFLW will (until further notice) also be announced week-by-week. @PH_WARFRadio will confirm their broadcast matches on RSN Carnival 2 digital radio in the next 24 hours or so.

1 Like

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of “VFLM”. Can you please elaborate as to what competition is being referred to here?

any news on when the round 2 date is to be confirmed?

I’m guessing Melbourne/Casey are still hoping to go to WA that week?

@scotty21 may need to change the time of his match to work around the VFLW.

1 Like

hopefully we can avoid an overlap with the blitz game

1 Like

I’ll just switch local to Goschs paddock.

Ohhhhh you mean our game.

1 Like

Info for spectators: VFLW season opener

Everything you need to know for the Bombers’ VFLW season opener at the NEC Hangar on Sunday.

By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

The VFLW Bombers will open their 2021 campaign at the NEC Hangar on Sunday. (Photo: Essendon FC)

Essendon will open its 2021 VFLW season in a history-making match against the Southern Saints at the NEC Hangar on Sunday.

The match will mark the VFLW Bombers’ first at the NEC Hangar for points in their short history, with the venue set to house a new women’s football facility in the club’s push for an AFLW licence.

Fans will be able to attend the game free, but will need to follow the COVID-19 protocols in place below.

Please note that the match will be played on the MCG Oval at the NEC Hangar (ground closest to the building). Free street parking will be available on Melrose Drive, while public toilets will be set up for general public use.

COVID-19 PROTOCOLS:

• All spectators must sign in to the QR code available all around the ground.
  • Building access is strictly not allowed for all spectators, including family and friends of players.
  • Spectators must view the game from ground level on the far side of the black fence away from the building and interchange benches.
  • No spectators are permitted on to the ground or into the football facilities.
  • Masks must be worn in the event you are not able to socially distance.

MATCH DETAILS:

Essendon v Southern Saints
10:30am, Sunday, February 28
NEC Hangar, 275 Melrose Drive, Melbourne Airport

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: VFLW 2021 squad

Here’s why you should be confident: the team’s history of scores for (in red) and against (in black), with trend lines.

(OK, I cheated and included last week’s practice game versus Darebin. It doesn’t change the message.)

1 Like

Alternative version of the captains photo the VFLW put in their first tweet (with some additional cropping and improvements by myself):

1 Like

Since the EFC didn’t list them, I’ve added heights (a few of the younger players may outgrow the below).

Calder’s Tahlia Gillard is 190cm @ 17yo?

BRING. HER. IN.

(Thomay looks to be 160-something.)

P.S. Unlike the EFC site, I went to the effort of including Simone Nalder. As the hit-out leader of the league and our ex-captain, I thought it was the least I could do.

NUMBER PLAYER AGE HEIGHT
1 Courtney Ugle 24 160
2 Felicity Theodore 19 168
3 Monique DeMatteo 23 168
4 Mia-Rae Clifford 34 170
5 Georgia Nanscawen 28 162
6 Alex Quigley 24 168
7 Jessie Davies 24 170
8 Eloise Ashley-Cooper 20 165
9 Marianna Anthony 23 168
10 Eleanor Cornish 21 177
11 Alana Barba 19 165
13 Elizabeth Hosking 25 168
14 Thomay Nicolaou 28 ?
15 Lauren Caruso 21 161
16 Tamsin Crook 18 176
17 Federica Frew 24 167
18 Kendra Heil 32 166
19 Nicole Julian 28 168
20 Cecilia McIntosh 41 160
21 Alex Morcom 24 166
22 Natalie MacDonald 22 164
24 Georgie Prespakis 17 168
25 Lori Stepnell 25 174
26 Taylor Moss 27 178
27 Terira Fry 19 170
28 Emma Mackay 30 168
30 Simone Nalder 30 186
31 Eloise Gardner 22 175
40 Laura Cocomello 18 173
41 Jemma Finning 18 165
42 Elizabeth Snell 18 161
44 Grace Dicker 20 166
46 Gloria Elarmaly 20 173
47 Emilia Yassir 17 160
- Tahlia Gillard 17 190
- Zali Friswell 17 165
- Shelby Meyers 19 161
- Kasey Lennox 17 174
- Neve Crowley 17 175
3 Likes

Darebin and Willy had a who’s-worst fight?

Willy 2.5.17 defeated the Falcons 1.9.15

“Upon the conclusion of the AFLW season, VFLW sides will only be able to field up to 10 AFLW players per match.”

Not clear if this means the end of individual team’s seasons, or the end of finals.

Now we’re just rubbing it in Coburg’s face!

Childhood Bombers supporter Eloise Gardner is living the dream. (Photo: Essendon FC)

When Essendon VFLW debutant Eloise Gardner took to the NEC Hangar for round one against the Southern Saints, it was extra significant as she ran out not only as a player, but as a lifetime Bombers supporter.

The 22-year-old, who grew up idolising Matthew Lloyd and James Hird, started following Essendon through her grandfather Ken Parker, who played at the club in the 1960s.

For Gardner to follow in her grandfather’s footsteps, it was extremely special for not only herself but also for her family, who have been her biggest supporters since she started playing football at the age of 17.

“My grandpa was at the Bombers for a year back in the ‘60s and I don’t think he ever played a game, but he has been a passionate Essendon supporter ever since so my whole family are Essendon (supporters),” Gardner said.

"It was very special for (my family) as well. They have supported me the whole way to get me to this point, so it was very special for them.

“To get to that point and play my first game means a lot and was very exciting. It made all the hard work it took to get there worth it.”

Eloise Gardner on the track. (Photo: Celie Hay)

As a 17-year-old, Gardner played her first season of football for Darebin Falcons in the under-18 competition, spending another three years in their senior side before making the move to Essendon ahead of the cancelled 2020 season.

It wasn’t until the AFLW was established in 2017 and the introduction of Essendon into the VFLW in 2018, however, that Gardner realised the goal of playing for the club she grew up supporting wasn’t so far out of reach.

"It is one of those things that as a kid you don’t think will ever happen. You hope it might but then especially as a female, you realise that it might not happen the way you dream of as a kid,” Gardner said.

“When the AFLW competition was announced, I had just started playing footy for Darebin. Then all of the AFLW teams wanted VFLW teams which was when Essendon came in, so it was always in the back of my mind that I’d love to have the opportunity to play for them so then I decided to move clubs and play for Essendon.”

Since moving to Essendon, Gardner has formed many close friendships but has a special bond with vice-captain Courtney Ugle, who presented Gardner with her Bombers jumper before the round one clash with the Southern Saints.

"I didn’t know she was going to (present the jumper) so it was very special for ‘Ugez’ (Ugle) to do that. She was one of the first people who welcomed me into the club when I first got there, and she is such a positive, happy person around the club,” she said.

“We have become quite good friends over the past year, so it was very special for her to be able to do that."

As well as Ugle, Gardner has also learnt from other senior members of the team as she works towards developing her role as a key-position player in the Bombers’ backline.

“I look up to our captain ‘G’ (Georgia Nanscawen) a lot. She played hockey for Australia, so I think that’s pretty cool,” she said.

"'Sim’ (Simone Nalder) is someone who has taken me under her wing a lot as well. I knew her from Darebin and we did a few running sessions together during COVID. She has a lot of leadership experience, so she has been able to guide me a lot with that as well.”

Looking towards the rest of the year, Gardner has aspirations of being drafted to the AFLW, however, after the 2020 season was cancelled due to COVID, she wants to enjoy being able to play footy again.

“I’d love to get to the AFLW eventually, but I think after not being able to play footy for the past year, I just want to enjoy playing footy and enjoy being at Essendon,” she said.

“If I can play every game in the VFLW, that would be very special.”

Gardner and the VFLW Bombers will take on the Casey Demons in their round two match at Casey Fields on Saturday at 1pm.

2 Likes

Behind-the-scenes 30 minute video (OK, the second half is about the men, but whatevs):

The culture of the women’s team is awesome. They make me so proud. I won’t repeat myself but instead point to this part of my 2019 season review:

2 Likes

Port Melbourne top of the ladder and over 300% – oh you Richmond nuffies!

We are one out of the six, by a few percent. Our opponent next week, the Dawks, are right behind us, having had the bonus of facing Darebin today.

Fark Carlton are on the bottom and under 30% :grinning:

1 Like

Where are we at with an AFLW license?

Was watching it over the weekend and they put up a 14 team ladder and it just looked wrong without us on it somewhere.