Misleading and Deceptive Chicks Thread

Trivago misleads consumers into believing they get the ‘best price’, ACCC alleges

Hotel comparison website Trivago is being sued for making misleading claims on its website and television advertising.

Key points:

• ACCC accuses Trivago of misleading consumers by claiming it offers the “best price”
  • Trivago allegedly prioritises hotels which pay it the highest advertising fees
  • The penalty for misleading and deceptive conduct is up to $1.1m per breach

Trivago deceived consumers into believing it was an “impartial and objective” aggregator that helps them find the cheapest hotel prices, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has alleged.

In a Federal Court case the ACCC argued Trivago’s search results prioritise advertisers who were willing to pay “the highest cost per click”.

“When you look at a lot of Trivago’s television advertising … and I’ve seen a lot of it, it’s often suggesting get on Trivago and find the best price,” ACCC chairman Rod Sims told the ABC.

He said Trivago and other comparison platforms “give the impression they’re there to help consumers when in fact they’re there to help suppliers who pay them the most money”.

Mr Sims said the ACCC began investigating Trivago after it received complaints from hotel operators who realised “they were cheaper [but] weren’t getting prioritised”.

"We’re alleging Trivago’s website is deliberately designed to mislead consumers.

“We looked at Trivago algorithm and formed the view that it was misleading in terms of the way it presented options to consumers.”

The regulator’s investigation found that consumers who visited Trivago’s website “overwhelmingly” clicked on the most prominently displayed offers for each hotel.

Misleading ‘strike-through’ price comparisons

The ACCC is also accusing Trivago of deceiving consumers with “strike-through price comparisons” which offer misleading “deals”.

For example, it might list the hotel room’s full price as $420 — with a “strike through” to show the price has been slashed — and the final price is listed as $299.

“They are misleading because they often compare a luxury room with a basic room,” Mr Sims said.

"Strike through the luxury room’s price, then show the price of the standard room — and create a false impression of the savings you’ll get with the standard rooms.

"By not making genuine room price comparisons, consumers would likely have paid more than they otherwise would have for the same hotel.

“Further, hotels may have lost potential business as a result of this alleged conduct.”

The penalties for engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct, under the Australian Consumer Law, can be up to $1.1 million per breach.

Trivago has been contacted for comment.

Industry-wide problem

The ACCC confirmed it is also investigating other comparison websites similar to Trivago.

“We believe this behaviour is widespread, but we’re currently investigating just how widespread.”

Mr Sims urged investors to consider, if the website is free to use, how it is earning money.

“If they’re making their money by commissions from who they prioritise, you have to wonder how much the choice that’s presented to consumers is influenced by how much the website is being paid — as distinct from what is the best offer for consumers.”

1 Like

I’ll be there to support her against these baseless and heinous allegations.

4 Likes

Want me to pass on your best Ding?

After the thread title, I am relieved.

4 Likes

Agoda are worse, constantly advertising massive discounts but if you go to another site or the accommodations own web page it generally turns out to be the standard rate.

8 Likes

Every comparison websites does this no matter what industry, I select, solar comparison sites, home loans sites. That all promote the sites and services that pay them the most.

Yes but the point is they’re misleading people with their advertising

Those cute little meerkats say they don’t.
I mean, if you can’t trust a meerkat…

1 Like

That’s my point, they all claim to offer the cheapest option but they don’t.

They offer the best option for them.

6 Likes

It’s all a “financial service”, aka a con.

All the hotel ones add 15% on top. And the contract to sign up bars hotels from advertising any price below that.

Call the hotel and ask the best they can do. They will almost always beat it.

Oh and they’re nearly all owned by the same mob - Expedia.
Hotels.com, trivago, wotif, orbitz, and on and on and on. All the same company, same site.

Hotelscombined is still independent. But same sort of deal.

2 Likes

Totally not what I was expecting to walk into. Bitterly disappointed

Yeah I was totally hoping this was about chicks with dicks too.

4 Likes

QUEEN of the heap.

/thread.

Was kinda more hoping for fakeys and the occasional insta photoshopper

1 Like

If you would, ta.

No idea who that is.

So shes a Tranny?

I do this all the time with all sorts of services. You’d be amazed sometimes at how much difference there is in cost between dealing directly with someone and a third party that claims to save you money.

2 Likes