Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

And further, a number of planes have just "disappeared" over the years.

yes, but only in the area of bermuda.    :P

And further, a number of planes have just "disappeared" over the years.

yes, but only in the area of bermuda.    :P

No they didn't disappear, they were taken by aliens.

Is this the biggest plane that has gone missing for this long? From what I can recall they saw debris from Air France's crash a few days later, no? And that was in the Atlantic. A much larger area than the Gulf of Thailand.

Can't imagine what the families are going through...

Is this the biggest plane that has gone missing for this long? From what I can recall they saw debris from Air France's crash a few days later, no? And that was in the Atlantic. A much larger area than the Gulf of Thailand.

Hell.

There was a plane that took 50 years to find, it was this sort of carrier load, was buried in a glacier and discovered by accident.  Not sure what it was called.

What is interesting is where they are looking.

The search area has been extended west into the Straits of Malacca.
BiXhKYFCAAI19bJ.png

Seems we only have part of the story.

When I was in Malaysia with a group of people, some of the guys arrived late and were told they couldn’t board the plane…but if they were to pay a little bit extra, they could get some boarding passes of guests who had checked in but not arrived. They paid cash and boarded under two totally different names.

Hijacked plane, How can a plane just vanish?

lost !!

Also now floathing the possibility that the 2 stolen passports were for asylum seekers, which would doubly suck for those two people if true.

The longer it goes, The less likely I think we are to get the actual truth.

A plane cannot just simply disappear. Surely there was some communication before said disappearance? Not going to be good for tourism or the airline though.

When I was in Malaysia with a group of people, some of the guys arrived late and were told they couldn't board the plane...but if they were to pay a little bit extra, they could get some boarding passes of guests who had checked in but not arrived. They paid cash and boarded under two totally different names.

This happened at an international airport?

When I was in Malaysia with a group of people, some of the guys arrived late and were told they couldn't board the plane...but if they were to pay a little bit extra, they could get some boarding passes of guests who had checked in but not arrived. They paid cash and boarded under two totally different names.

This happened at an international airport?

Was a while ago. After September 11, because the locals, you know, kind of were wearing bin laden t shirts and pictures of the twin towers on fire in their ya hurts. Awkward...
But I think not was a domestic Malaysian airline on the island of Borneo. Seems there was a big al Qaeda training camp there too.
But yeah, they weren't too concerned who flew in what seats.

Planes do just disappear.

The most recent was Flight AF477 which vanished 2009.

It took 5 days to find the wreckage. And 2 years to get the black box.

If it was a terrorist attack usually those responsible have already claimed it. Otherwise whats the use in doing it.

Some catastrophic incident occurred instantaneously or something innocuous happened that didn't alert the pilots to any danger until it was too late.

A plane cannot just simply disappear. Surely there was some communication before said disappearance? Not going to be good for tourism or the airline though.

There are plenty of incidents where planes crash without mayday calls - anything that tears the plane apart in mid-air (bombs, major mechanical/component failure, mid-air collisions), CFIT cases, stalls where the crew is preoccupied attempting to rectify the situation and there was a crash where the flight crew was rendered unconscious due to hypoxia etc.

If it was a terrorist attack usually those responsible have already claimed it. Otherwise whats the use in doing it.

Some catastrophic incident occurred instantaneously or something innocuous happened that didn't alert the pilots to any danger until it was too late.

Only going by the vague viewings of air crash investigation, it's surprising how much needs to go wrong before a plane becomes unflyable, while in the same breathe some small thing can also bring it down.

Watching last week or so, and the plane lost an engine, literally, and crashed and investigators were saying they still should have been able to fly and land the plane and were ready to blame pilot error until they dug a little deeper and found out what actually happened.

Yeh happened in PNG all the time too.  

The 5 days isn't strictly true, it took 5 days for ships to reach the wreckage because it was miles away from any country but they'd found it via plane by day 2. The big difference here though is that flight was intact when it hit the water so any wreckage would be in a limited area, evidently this one broke up in midair and seemingly at high altitude, so what isn't already underwater would be strewn miles apart, add in the ocean/sea currents and it isn't that surprising that it is taking a while to find it.

There are plenty of incidents where planes crash without mayday calls - anything that tears the plane apart in mid-air (bombs, major mechanical/component failure, mid-air collisions), CFIT cases, stalls where the crew is preoccupied attempting to rectify the situation and there was a crash where the flight crew was rendered unconscious due to hypoxia etc.

I suddenly don't want to fly

Fair chance it was a skill you were never going to aquire anyway.

Just growing the feathers would take years.

Going on the frequency these things happen, fight now would be the very best time to fly.

Fair chance it was a skill you were never going to aquire anyway.

Just growing the feathers would take years.

I hate reality!