Mitch Brown - The Accountant

FWIW likely backline players (taking out Hooker)
Hurley 119 games
Baguley 72
Gwilt 137
Hibberd 84
Brown 15
Gleeson 31

Likely forwards (pretty arguable):
Daniher 48
Edwards? 21
Laverde 9
McKernan 43
Dempsey 119 (about 5 of them forward)
Jerrett 43

We’ve got waaaay more experience back, than forward. And I think we saw pretty conclusively this year that having a pretty good, strong, settled backline doesn’t win you many games without the midfield & forwards at least competing.

This bloke will only get better with a pre-season under his belt. Thrilled to have him at Essendon. Like Smack, he takes opportunities with both hands.

This bloke will only get better with a pre-season under his belt. Thrilled to have him at Essendon. Like Smack, he takes opportunities with both hands.

But, … does he take them at the highest point???

That is the question …

I like him I really do. But, to think he will come in and hold a key defensive post is full Blitz. He will play games and play them well but he is not best 22 key back.
Why not? Not really following you. He wasn't too far off 2 years ago (gun year for Geelong VFL), had another gun VFL year...?

I’d go as far as say if he’s not ■■■■■■ close to beat 22 KPD in 2016 he won’t ever be.

He will be close to it just as you say but I just feel he is going to leave us needing more in the strength department and general AFL smarts. I just look at Hooker and Hurls down back and cub up.

Doesn’t it make sense to have a bit up front as well? Rather than everything down back and nothing up front.

Not sure whether I see what you did there.

FWIW likely backline players (taking out Hooker) Hurley 119 games Baguley 72 Gwilt 137 Hibberd 84 Brown 15 Gleeson 31

Daniher 48
Edwards? 21
Laverde 9
McKernan 43
Jerrett 43

We’ve got waaaay more experience back, than forward. And I think we saw pretty conclusively this year that having a pretty good, strong, settled backline doesn’t win you many games without the midfield & forwards at least competing.

Hurley 119 games
Baguley 72
Gwilt 137
Hibberd 84
Brown 15
Gleeson 31

The only 2 tall defenders in that group. Generally 2 are needed in every 22. Francis is effectively the ony ojer

Ambrose and Pears can be added to the experience column either forward/back as depth players.
Pears still has stints training as a forward and Ambrose this pre season has impressed Harvs as a defender

If I was picking a couple of guys to add some experience to the 22… Pears and Ambrose are not two names that come to mind.

I like him I really do. But, to think he will come in and hold a key defensive post is full Blitz. He will play games and play them well but he is not best 22 key back.
Why not? Not really following you. He wasn't too far off 2 years ago (gun year for Geelong VFL), had another gun VFL year...?

I’d go as far as say if he’s not ■■■■■■ close to beat 22 KPD in 2016 he won’t ever be.

He will be close to it just as you say but I just feel he is going to leave us needing more in the strength department and general AFL smarts. I just look at Hooker and Hurls down back and cub up.

Doesn’t it make sense to have a bit up front as well? Rather than everything down back and nothing up front.

Not sure whether I see what you did there.

■■■■.

Wait I mean boobs. What?

FWIW likely backline players (taking out Hooker) Hurley 119 games Baguley 72 Gwilt 137 Hibberd 84 Brown 15 Gleeson 31

Daniher 48
Edwards? 21
Laverde 9
McKernan 43
Jerrett 43

Hurley 119 games
Baguley 72
Gwilt 137
Hibberd 84
Brown 15
Gleeson 31

The only 2 tall defenders in that group. Generally 2 are needed in every 22. Francis is effectively the ony ojer

Hurley on your #1, Brown on the #2 and Gwilt as the 3rd tall. Same thing we were running in the 2nd half of last year, but Brown comes in for Carlisle

If Brown can stay fit I’ve got a feeling that he is going to add a lot to our team, both with his ability and flexibility to play both ends.

New contract for untried Don Mitch Brown
Nick Bowen
February 16, 2016 6:39 PM

Mitch Brown has earned a contract extension with the Bombers.

MITCH Brown has seized his second AFL opportunity this summer at Essendon, with the tall set to be rewarded for an impressive pre-season with a one-year contract extension.

Brown joined the Bombers on a one-year contract after being taken at pick No.54 in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, but AFL.com.au understands the 25-year-old is on the verge of re-signing until the end of 2017.

The key-position player shapes as an important player for Essendon this season as it seeks to cover the loss of 12 players suspended for 2016 on anti-doping charges by the Court of Arbitration for Sport last month.

Brown, 196cm and 93kg, is capable of playing at both ends of the ground, so could be used to provide support to Joe Daniher in attack or to cover the loss of suspended trio Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley and Tayte Pears in defence.

Brown was a first-round selection in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, taken at pick No.15 overall by Geelong.

The former Sandringham Dragon struggled to break into the powerhouse Cats team of that time, playing 15 games in six seasons on the Geelong list before being delisted at the end of 2014.

Brown came onto Essendon’s radar when he filled in as a top-up player during the 2015 NAB Challenge, when all of the club’s remaining 2012-listed players voluntarily sat out the pre-season competition ahead of the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal verdict in the long-running anti-doping case.

The swingman was one of the Bombers’ best players across its three pre-season games last season before joining Sandringham in the VFL, where he enjoyed an outstanding year.

Brown starred in the Zebras’ 2015 finals campaign, kicking five goals against Collingwood’s VFL team and four against Box Hill, after being shifted from defence to attack in both games.

I guess… Congratulations Mitch on a good pre season?

conspiracy theorist in me wonders what’s up with this, and wonder if there’s a concern even small that one of hooker or hurley are a chance to leave the club at the end of the year.

It’s one hell of a preseason if it’s all above board. congrats either way to him.

Good on him.

conspiracy theorist in me wonders what's up with this, and wonder if there's a concern even small that one of hooker or hurley are a chance to leave the club at the end of the year.

It’s one hell of a preseason if it’s all above board. congrats either way to him.

Unlikely Likely Pears will go beyond 2016 and tall depth is needed.

conspiracy theorist in me wonders what's up with this, and wonder if there's a concern even small that one of hooker or hurley are a chance to leave the club at the end of the year.

it is unlikely, but still a possibility, alas there’s another 8 odd months before we’d find out one way or another. nothing is final til end of trade period.

Sensible with our lack of talks and others “out of contract”

Someone at another club got an extension for a good pre season last week.

The only real surprising thing about that article is that we only contracted Brown for 1 season when we drafted him?

I felt he was a player we were desperately in need of even before the suspensions.

yep good call

But Xavier Campbell apparently offered each of the 12 a one year contract extension after the suspension. Tayte would be crazy not to take that up !

With Brown’s injury history, a 1 year offer up front is sensible. The club has had time to see what his medical situation is like, have tested him with an intense preseason and see no issues. Perfect time to lock in that 2nd year. Great news for the guy as it means his health must be a lot better than his years at Geelong.