Mlb 2017

Cubs, Schmubs!

Free agency, waivers, retirements, arbitration, and then we get back to reality in March with the Grapefruit League and the Cactus League.

Yoenis Cespedes has refused his option with the Mets and opted for free agency.

Cubs, Schmubs!

Free agency, waivers, retirements, arbitration, and then we get back to reality in March with the Grapefruit League and the Cactus League.

Yoenis Cespedes has refused his option with the Mets and opted for free agency.

Shock horror.

Getting in early mate!

Red Sox pick up the option on Buchholz…He did a job I guess towards the end of season

Jason Hammel went 16-10 for the Cubs this year but didn’t make the postseason roster.

Option declined. Now a free agent. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Braves have a big shot at him. They really need 2 starters and a catcher as their first priorities. Brian McCann would be a popular return now the Yankees will want to give Sanchez as much playing time as they can.

Cespedes an intriguing prospect for my Giants but reckon his ask will be too rich for us.

Astros need to find another pitcher for the starting rotation…time to stump up some cash!

R A Dickey has signed a 1-year done with Atlanta. Every year it seems they sign players from the deep south, and then trade them away midseason.

It’ll be interesting to see if they try to sign Brian McCann. Astros apparently keen too, but Yankees aren’t sure to trade him, despite the fact that Gary Sanchez will take over as primary catcher.

Bartolo ColĂłn 1-year deal with the Braves
Kendrys Morales from KC to Blue Jays. I assume they expect EncarnaciĂłn to take free agency - Red Sox to replace Big Papi?
Howie Kendrick goes from the Dodgers to Philly in return for Darrin Ruf and Darnell Sweeney

So there are the two short-term starters the Braves wanted.

Utility Danny Valencia traded from Oakland to Seattle for a pitcher (Blackburn?)

AN you happy with Big Sexy? How old is Colon now? Must be approaching mid-40s. Gives me hope.

As for the Giants they are speaking with Aroldis Chapman, Melancon, and Kenley Jansen for the closer role. Sounds like all of them are looking for a $90-$100 Million payday. Insane!

AN you happy with Big Sexy? How old is Colon now? Must be approaching mid-40s. Gives me hope.

As for the Giants they are speaking with Aroldis Chapman, Melancon, and Kenley Jansen for the closer role. Sounds like all of them are looking for a $90-$100 Million payday. Insane!

I think they’re just looking at two relatively reliable starters while all the young arms they’ve accumulated recently mature.

They must have used a dozen or more starters last year, and only Teheran, who needs run support, and Foltynewicz looked the part.

I think all the big clubs are looking at each of those three closers.

McCann off to the Astros

Reddick off to the Astros too for $52m over 4.

Mike Trout won AL MVP for the second time. I thought he had a pretty down year myself. Been in the top 5 every season.

Unsurprisingly Kris Bryant won NL MVP.

I remember being a bit surprised last year when some of the pundits were saying the Twins’ OF Byron Buxton would have a much better short and long term future than Bryant.

They have a lot of egg on their faces with Bryant winning Rookie of the Year last year and MVP this year and wouldn’t have been far from World Series MVP this year.

Unsurprisingly Kris Bryant won NL MVP.

I remember being a bit surprised last year when some of the pundits were saying the Twins’ OF Byron Buxton would have a much better short and long term future than Bryant.

They have a lot of egg on their faces with Bryant winning Rookie of the Year last year and MVP this year and wouldn’t have been far from World Series MVP this year.

Incredible effort

Braves have signed INF Sean Rodriguez - I’m assuming to play some 2B and maybe 3B - for 2 years.

I’d thought they were planning to run rookie Ozzie Albies at 2B, saying that Albies and Dansby Swanson are the middle infield for the foreseeable future.

Big trade yesterday between Seattle and Arizona - DBacks get RHP Taijuan Walker and INF Ketel Marte, Mariners get INF Jean Segura, OF Mitch Haniger and lefty RP Zac Curtis. Seems Arizona just wanted players over whom they had more club control.

Marlins have picked up SP Edison Volquez from the Royals for $22m over 2 years.

Yankees released SP Nathan Eovaldi

Yoenis Cespedes staying at the Mets for $110m over 4 years
Cubs sign OF Jon Jay for 1 year, no doubt expecting to lose Dexter Fowler.

I like that from the Cubs

Last couple of days, a lot of it is talk.

But OF Matt Joyce from the Pirates to the A’s
LHP Jaime Garcia signed by the Braves from the Cards

Still talk about Pirates CF and dual NL MVP Andrew McCutchen to the Nats
Mike Napoli rumoured to be returning to one of his old teams - Rangers, Red Sox or Indians
Nats sniffing around White Sox LHP Chris Sale